PDA

View Full Version : Disaster

ZERO
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
It turns out that all the code for the wcs server for the last 6 months has been lost. All race changes since the release of athena were lost and the entire dragonfly race.

Logically it could take an insane amount of time to reprogram all of that. It will take a few weeks but first I need to consolidate what code was lost so I can re-update the races.

DJ_MikeyRevile
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
It's its..... The end of the world and I have great faith in you being our beloved saviour!

maynard
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
how is it lost? ... like.... what happened? and isn't there a back up?

fucking WCS... can never catch a God damn break...

we're finally about 2 re-release jack, so big surprise all hell breaks loose....:mini triste:

ZERO
02-15-2012, 02:06 PM
There was a backup from 6 months ago... so all the work from then till last month is lost.

I have a few options now:

Restore all races to latest version and then make new races then make dragonfly
Restore all races to latest version and remake dragonfly
Make new races and then go back and restore old races and then remake dragonfly

I can do any of those 3 options. Note that if I do not restore the races there can be no new bugfixes or updates until I do. So basically you get two options you can have new races sooner or bug patches...

Rosie
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I am a huge fan of stability, but at the same time new races would be awesome. Is there a option where you put Dragonfly on the backburner behind a race or two. It seemed that dragonfly actually caused the server to be slightly more unstable. Maybe try the old races with Jack before you take another shot at dragonfly. Unless Dragonfly is the equilizer for Jack it shouldnt create any trouble with being overpowered.

DJ_MikeyRevile
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
That's tough. New races would best suit people who have been playing in the server awhile but bug fixes should take priority as it makes for a cleaner and smoother server for those currently playing and new players.

Dj panda
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Does that mean i wil have to relevel my athena and Dragon fly? FUCK just maxed out athena 3 days ago >.< god damnit

acolyte_to_jippity
02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
go for bugfixes. but how did this happen?

was it somkeys? giant space-monkeys?

Dj panda
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Wait a sec, I still have Dragonfly at level 16 O.o You lost all your files so if u update your gonna loose Everything?

ZERO
02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
No these are just updates to the code for most of the races. In the case of dragonfly the entire program was lost. It would need to be remade from scratch. No levels ect would be lost as I can program it to work as a replacement for the existing one.

I could try to reintroduce my anti left hand spawn glitch program and see if that helps make things more stable while I work on new races... I was planning on remaking a lot of the races once I get them all back anyways.

maynard
02-15-2012, 11:55 PM
bug fixes please.

BladeTwinSwords
02-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Can we have an Option 4: Make a race that throws Monitors when hackers are around. :icon_mrgreen:

brett friggin favre
02-16-2012, 02:08 AM
option 5: enter the grid. make tron 3: recovery.

acolyte_to_jippity
02-16-2012, 02:43 AM
option 5: enter the grid. make tron 3: recovery.

guys, come on. he needs to get back to where we are now, first. but i do hope the tron race'll be the first new one you build, zero. :angry, accusatory glare!!:

Dj panda
02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Well ill just stop leveling Dragonfly i guess if it will be removed.

ZERO
02-16-2012, 01:19 PM
It is not being removed... the way they are programed I just have to give it the same name and you will still get your levels and everything...

Steamer
02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Stability.

ZERO
02-18-2012, 02:07 PM
I will be out of the country for the first 10 days of march but I will at least get some new maps out before I go. There has been a shit storm this last month with losing all those programs and then work. Hopefully now with the new equipment I am installing things will get a bit better. :wtg:

ZERO
03-19-2012, 11:56 PM
I plan to try to get all the races restored by the end of the week except for dragon fly. Once we get to there you guys need to decide if you want me to remake that race from scratch or go and finish the rest of the new races and then remake dragon fly at the end before eva.

blackmail242
03-20-2012, 12:04 AM
I plan to try to get all the races restored by the end of the week except for dragon fly. Once we get to there you guys need to decide if you want me to remake that race from scratch or go and finish the rest of the new races and then remake dragon fly at the end before eva.
Put up a poll and let us vote it out?

Chef C Green
03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm all for stability and bug fixes. Sorry to hear about this tragedy though :cry:

I will be out of the country for the first 10 days of march but I will at least get some new maps out before I go. There has been a shit storm this last month with losing all those programs and then work. Hopefully now with the new equipment I am installing things will get a bit better. :wtg:

New maps would be good (help distract us from the new races being slightly delayed). Blackmail mentioned he added a few idea for maps, just wanted to mention that :icon_mrgreen:. HAVE A SAFE TRIP! We'll try not to break anything while you're gone :salute:

XX0wnsXY
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I say finish the rest of the new races first. Give people something else to play and they'll be held over for dragon fly. Give the people a snack, if ya will.

maynard
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
finish the rest of the races.

Jack is next ^^

it's time we get the races finished.

Erdenay
03-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I kind of like dragonfly because it's really fun to play - but then again, I have no idea about the other races that would be restored, so I'm not sure how much weight my vote has.