PDA

View Full Version : Recommended V/N's

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
For the past month or two I've replayed all the routes for Katawa Shoujo(A V/N that was released early january) and it was my first V/N. I was simply wondering if anyone here has watched/read it, and if there was any good V/N's similar to this you'd recommend.

ZERO
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Let me try to get some experts in here...

Bane of Soldiers
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
How do you people get into these so much...? o_O
My first and only VN is Fate/Stay Night. Had it for about 4 or 5 months now, and I am on the morning of day 3. Yeah. >_> It's not like VN's aren't interesting, but my eyes droop before I've made it through a single day, although that might be attributed to fatigue from the day. Plus I'm probably taking too long to read, and the characters aren't speaking fast enough (it annoys me when I scroll through too fast and the voices get cut off :headache:) I'm shocked by how some people go on 6-12 hour sprees and replay the paths over and over and over and over....

acolyte_to_jippity
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
For the past month or two I've replayed all the routes for Katawa Shoujo(A V/N that was released early january) and it was my first V/N. I was simply wondering if anyone here has watched/read it, and if there was any good V/N's similar to this you'd recommend.

DEAR GOD!!! i fucking loved katawa shoujo!!

i only played through once though, because i chose Hanako to follow...and the ending made me so incredibly depressed...i actually felt bad about what the main character (effectively you) had done.

I was planning on going back through and running it with the track and field girl, or the painter girl...but haven't gotten around to it.

RamenPoodle
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
VN expert here lol

Katawa Shoujo was an American-made basic "dating-sim" type visual novel, which focused more on the relationships with each of the girls than an overarching story. If you like that type of game, any of KEY's games would work (Kanon and Clannad are fully translated), as well as Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl).

However, if you like a great story bundled with your romance like I do, there are some great places to start.

Fate/stay night is widely considered a must-play in the VN community. Even if you've seem the anime, you owe it to yourself to try it out. It's much better.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni are two of my favorite visual novels. They are mysteries with more than a hint of the supernatural/fantasy genre. They also feature no choices and no routes--you just go through the story. Mystery/detective novels happen to be my favorite, so I particularly enjoy G-Senjou no Maou and Kara no Shoujo as well.

Ever17 is widely considered to be one of the greatest visual novels of all time, mostly due to its absolutely insane, mind-twisting finale. I couldn't think straight for at least three days after playing it.

Anything by Nitroplus is a good bet, though I wouldn't recommend them for first timers, because they tend to feature gratuitous blood and gore and general darkness. However, if that's what you're looking for, jump right into Saya no Uta, Demonbane, Chaos;Head, or Steins;Gate.

All of what I've mentioned are translated.

Honestly, when selecting a VN, just go with whatever sounds good. Use the website vndb.org to keep track of the most popular and highest rated visual novels, including all of the ones mentioned here. Lurk a bit. Make a list of ones you've played and want to play if you like. You'll find some great stuff in the process, I know it.

acolyte_to_jippity
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
where are we supposed to find them though?

i mean, i got fate/stay night off of tpb, with the english translation already included. but are there any that are legal to obtain, like katawa shoujo?

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
02-27-2012, 09:04 PM
DEAR GOD!!! i fucking loved katawa shoujo!!

i only played through once though, because i chose Hanako to follow...and the ending made me so incredibly depressed...i actually felt bad about what the main character (effectively you) had done.

I was planning on going back through and running it with the track and field girl, or the painter girl...but haven't gotten around to it.

If you really liked it, you should honestly play through them all, they're completely different. I really enjoyed all of them, but Hanako's route was hands down the saddest of them all, with Emi in a close second. Lilly's was without a doubt my favorite, but Shizune was pretty close.

VN expert here lol

Katawa Shoujo was an American-made basic "dating-sim" type visual novel, which focused more on the relationships with each of the girls than an overarching story. If you like that type of game, any of KEY's games would work (Kanon and Clannad are fully translated), as well as Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl).

However, if you like a great story bundled with your romance like I do, there are some great places to start.

Fate/stay night is widely considered a must-play in the VN community. Even if you've seem the anime, you owe it to yourself to try it out. It's much better.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni are two of my favorite visual novels. They are mysteries with more than a hint of the supernatural/fantasy genre. They also feature no choices and no routes--you just go through the story. Mystery/detective novels happen to be my favorite, so I particularly enjoy G-Senjou no Maou and Kara no Shoujo as well.

Ever17 is widely considered to be one of the greatest visual novels of all time, mostly due to its absolutely insane, mind-twisting finale. I couldn't think straight for at least three days after playing it.

Anything by Nitroplus is a good bet, though I wouldn't recommend them for first timers, because they tend to feature gratuitous blood and gore and general darkness. However, if that's what you're looking for, jump right into Saya no Uta, Demonbane, Chaos;Head, or Steins;Gate.

All of what I've mentioned are translated.

Honestly, when selecting a VN, just go with whatever sounds good. Use the website vndb.org to keep track of the most popular and highest rated visual novels, including all of the ones mentioned here. Lurk a bit. Make a list of ones you've played and want to play if you like. You'll find some great stuff in the process, I know it.

Honestly as far as V/N's with a choice go, I think I'd prefer romance oriented "Stories", but for just a V/N I could definitely check out any kind of mystery. Also, I don't know anything about where to get these, I just happened on the link to Katawa Shoujo. I do know about vndb.org, but as for even knowing how to properly use anything but the search, feel free to consider me an idiot.

RamenPoodle
02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
You can buy them legally at http://www.jlist.com/home OR you can pirate them at this website. http://vndownloads.freeforums.org/translated-visual-novel-download-links-t3.html