PDA

View Full Version : Manga OR Anime?

blackmail242
02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I personally prefer to read the Manga over the Anime since time to time the Anime has been filled with useless fillers and had important pieces removed. :P I currently have about 40-50 ongoing subscriptions to manga that get updated regularly and have finished just about the same amount if not more. I have watched anime since ones like Gurren Laggen are better watched then read, however as I mentioned above I prefer manga overall. Favorite series? This keeps changing, I like different series for different reasons but overall one that held my addictions the best would have been The breaker and its sequel The breaker: New waves.

Meltdown
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Manga, I order sometimes direct from Japan to get uncensored stuff and like you say no useless files, also some anime kills the character design because the art fucks so much. Sometimes I watch anime like neon genesis but most of the time i read while I play zombie mod and or in bed etc or when i watch telly. it is relaxed.

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
02-29-2012, 09:47 AM
This is a common misunderstanding for us foreigners, but manga and anime are not really comparable. Manga comes first, and only if the manga is good enough or has potential as an anime is it ever presented as an anime. Certainly people will have their preferences, as they always will, but they are simply two different ways to do the same thing, presenting a story to an audience. The differences that are most notable are simple restrictions on possibilities, of which there are many. In the same respect as Movies/Shows based on a book series, the content must be shortened or lengthened to the appropriate time constraints. That's not the fault of those producing it, that's simply how it must be done.

So do I prefer one over the other? Yes, I prefer anime because it can more easily represent the emotions of the characters, but I still like manga for the same reasons.

ZERO
02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Do not forget that many series are not based on Manga but VNs LNs and some of the best are actually original stories that are made to anime FIRST. It is a common misconception that anime is generally based of of manga when that accounts for only some of the shows.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Manga, I order sometimes direct from Japan to get uncensored stuff and like you say no useless files, also some anime kills the character design because the art fucks so much. Sometimes I watch anime like neon genesis but most of the time i read while I play zombie mod and or in bed etc or when i watch telly. it is relaxed.

BTW if you go to conventions you can buy the stuff from japan there usually at a slightly lower cost and you can look though it first. You can get what your looking for at those events in most cases. :wtg:

Xerenix
02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Naruto: Manga over Anime

Bleach: Anime over Manga.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Both are awesome.

HxH: Pre-Hiatus(Manga) - Post-Hiatus(Anime)

It really depends on the story, setting and how the manga is drawed so mangas like Bleach which is mostly action is alot better done as an anime.

But if i had to choose between the two, i would choose Manga simply due to the fact that i can't stand the voices of some anime characters.

ZERO
02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
But if i had to choose between the two, i would choose Manga simply due to the fact that i can't stand the voices of some anime characters.

You can avoid that by not watching it in English... lol

blackmail242
02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I have to say that the common misconception that you had pointed out was taken into account. Sure if you read or watch Bakuman then you get the idea that all anime are based off of manga but there are several animes that have no such basis.

Xernix I believe that you're tastes are similar to mine since at the beginning of bleach I had gotten hooked on the anime BEFORE the manga. I only picked up the manga after the Bounto arc came to a close.

Xerenix
02-29-2012, 05:39 PM
You can avoid that by not watching it in English... lol

Only watched one anime in english and what i'm talking about is that some anime characters have voices in Japanese that don't even fit them which ruins it for me.

blackmail242
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
haha Xernix all I can say to that would be hit mute and start playing music while watching. :P

Bane of Soldiers
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
I have to say anime. I think animes execute the character, emotions, and mood much more smoothly and easily, 'specially to a noob like me. But manga's good too; some series are just too good to not read the manga. And you can't forget about Visual and Light Novels. I read Angel Beats! Track Zero and it was pretty amusing; it showed a teasing side of Yuri :lmao:. But the anime explained the situation and setting so much better. :twocents:

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Do not forget that many series are not based on Manga but VNs LNs and some of the best are actually original stories that are made to anime FIRST. It is a common misconception that anime is generally based of of manga when that accounts for only some of the shows.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

BTW if you go to conventions you can buy the stuff from japan there usually at a slightly lower cost and you can look though it first. You can get what your looking for at those events in most cases. :wtg:

Ah I was just going by the example given, and was mainly trying to say that they're simply different ways of telling a story, not better or worse than one another. They're simply different ways of interpreting a story.

RamenPoodle
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I usually try to go for the original source of something. If an anime is based on a light novel or visual novel and it's translated, then you can bet I'll read the original work first, then bitch on /a/ along with everyone else about how inconsistent the adaptation is XD I still follow some manga, but I watch more anime than anything. I love all mediums pretty much equally though.

KaMiKaZi_NiNjA
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I usually try to go for the original source of something. If an anime is based on a light novel or visual novel and it's translated, then you can bet I'll read the original work first, then bitch on /a/ along with everyone else about how inconsistent the adaptation is XD I still follow some manga, but I watch more anime than anything. I love all mediums pretty much equally though.

That's about the only valid point you can say about them, the original is almost always better.