PDA

View Full Version : Shakugan no Shana

taz1stP
03-01-2012, 04:12 AM
just started was wondering if it is any good?

ZERO
03-01-2012, 06:57 AM
I have only seen the movie but it was good.

Bane of Soldiers
03-01-2012, 07:59 AM
I only have good things to say about SnS, and I have only watched the first season and movie. I'll talk about it later as I am on mobile and have ten minutes to catch my school bus :p

RamenPoodle
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Shakugan no Shana is a series that has a lot of mixed opinions from fans. You have to understand that this is because SnS is a VERY complicated series of light novels that were watered down and summarized in the anime series.

However, here are my opinions on it.

SnS (1st): great, maybe even excellent. The movie summarizing the first half of the season is great as well. Great characters, interesting story, and Yuuji and Shana's relationship is at its peak here.

SnS 2nd: When I was first watching it, I enjoyed it. But there's no denying that it's weak compared to S1. Hecate makes her appearance but that's about it. Lots of catfights between Shana and Yoshida, more fanservice, amusement park visits, and general filler material. Even though I say that though, you should still watch it because there's plenty of story as well.

SnS S (OVA series): Depressing as fuck, and also great because of it. Also a good lead-in to S3, because it hints at one of the most jarring developments in the entire series.

SnS 3rd Final: Still airing, so I can't give a definite opinion on it, but that jarring development does happen, and everything's fucked because of it. Shit breaks down, relationships fail, people die, it's pretty great. However, the plot is so intricate that it's nigh-incomprehensible at times, and introduces at least fifty new characters which can be hard to keep straight. Derails into generic shonen at times, but then again I saw that coming from the very beginning. I'm enjoying it overall.

SnS Specials (the Shana-tan ones): Always amazing, every season. XD

If you liked Shakugan no Shana, I would recommend Zero no Tsukaima and To Aru Majutsu no Index. Conversely, if you liked either of those shows, you'll definitely like Shana.

Bane of Soldiers
03-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I've heard that the second season was a letdown compared to the first season, which I loved. A second season of fanservice and catfights kinda sounds depressing.
I agree with the statement about Toaru and ZnT :p

Shana. She's just like Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!), Louise Francoise (Zero no Tsukaima), Nagi Sanzen'in (Hayate no Gotoku!), and Aria H. Kanzaki (Hidan no Aria). Voiced by the same person (Rie Kugimiya), she is the same tsundere type, of the same stature, etc. etc.

If you loved any of those characters, you'll like Shana. Some scenes might even sound like deja vu because the Sakai Yuuji (Shakugan no Shana) is voiced by the same person as Saito Hiraga (Zero no Tsukaima). Except Shana (to what I know in the first season) is more verbally abusive rather than physically.

I personally thought the music on the show was superb. One of my favorite openings of all time has got to be the first SnS opening, Hishoku no Sora by Mami Kawada, who also does a lot of the Toaru songs. The animation and art on the first season (2006) is higher quality (in my opinion) than some of the shows that are airing now. The storyline is no letdown either.

Side notes: The movie is a recap of the first couple episodes of SnS, even reuses the same scenes from the first season. The OVA for the first season is pretty pointless imo. Just like almost every other anime OVA, just a bunch of randomness, fanservice, and awkwardness in comparison to the first season. If it ain't a pool or a beach, it's the hot springs >_>

RamenPoodle
03-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I couldn't remember how far the Shana movie covered exactly, but I knew it covered Shana and Yuuji's meeting and the first villain.

You should still watch s2 just to prepare you for s3, which is really good. Plus, it's the finale, and you'll probably want closure to the story. s2 isn't as bad as what I made it seem like. lol

When it comes to Shana openings, I like Hishoku no Sora quite a bit, but my favorite would have to be either Joint from SnS s2 or Light My Fire from s3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuftxea_lf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHcHRUXIZkM&feature=related

Out of all the KugiRie characters, my personal opinion is that Aria is the worst. I love her design, but unfortunately she got stuck with a crappy author for her series. I read the light novels and they were pretty bad lol
Also just my personal opinion, but I don't count Nagi as one of Rie's "tsun" roles because Nagi isn't overtly tsundere except at the very beginning.

acolyte_to_jippity
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
i've seen some of hidan no aria, and i loved it. i put it down for fate/stay night and full metal panic!, but i'll be finishing it once i'm done with those two.

Bane of Soldiers
03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I actually don't know if Nagi's a tsundere or not, haven't watched the series. I just repeat what I hear =3
I'd agree with you on Aria though. Though really, she can't even begin to compete with the other Kugi-tsunderes when she has thirteen episodes, especially when the season kinda gave you the feeling that it was quickly animated to fill in a empty slot in the anime season roster. Although even if Hidan no Aria does get more seasons, I don't think Aria will ever come to passing the others. Taiga, Louise, and Shana are tough lol

Btw I just started Astarotte's Toy. Greeted by another familiar voice lol

RamenPoodle
03-11-2012, 10:09 PM
I actually don't know if Nagi's a tsundere or not, haven't watched the series. I just repeat what I hear =3
I'd agree with you on Aria though. Though really, she can't even begin to compete with the other Kugi-tsunderes when she has thirteen episodes, especially when the season kinda gave you the feeling that it was quickly animated to fill in a empty slot in the anime season roster. Although even if Hidan no Aria does get more seasons, I don't think Aria will ever come to passing the others. Taiga, Louise, and Shana are tough lol

Btw I just started Astarotte's Toy. Greeted by another familiar voice lol

Oh right, forgot about Lotte lol