PDA

View Full Version : toonami

taz1stP
05-27-2012, 09:57 PM
toonami seems to be back with a great line up has deadman wonderland in it should be good to see what other animes make there way onto it.

Bane of Soldiers
05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
12:00AM – Bleach
12:30AM – Deadman Wonderland
1:00AM – Casshern Sins
1:30AM – Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2:00AM – Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (will be 2nd GIG on Saturday when Toonami premieres, will probably be both)
2:30AM – Cowboy Bebop
3:00AM until 6:00AM/END – Repeat block (http://adultswimcentral.com/2012/05/21/toonami-news-shows-block-info/)

That is your lineup for Toonami. I won't be watching any of this because I haven't actually used my TV for watching actual TV programs in like 7 years, thus I have shitty 64 channels, and so I don't even get AdultSwim if I wanted to lmao. Plus being the stick-in-the-mud kind of person I am, I refuse to watch dubbed shows (do i realize that not all dubs are horrible? yes. do i care? no). Also, the lineup looks heavily shounen and are at odd hours for me....

Either way, you old fans go on and enjoy the Toonami revival and the shows ^_^

Chef C Green
05-28-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm more partial to remembering toonami from the old days... things like DBZ, Outlaw Star, Tenchi and the rest. Pure nostalgia remembering those days at school to come back home and catch those animes one after another, the best :cool3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfadJj4d5K4

acolyte_to_jippity
05-28-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm more partial to remembering toonami from the old days... things like DBZ, Outlaw Star, Tenchi and the rest. Pure nostalgia remembering those days at school to come back home and catch those animes one after another, the best :cool3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfadJj4d5K4

outlaw star was, and still is one of my absolute favorite shows. i have the whole thing on my ipod classic. the dub was just phenominal.

ZERO
05-28-2012, 01:53 AM
I still have yet to find a dub I liked more than the original although I have not heard the original outlaw star b/c I saw it in the states.

acolyte_to_jippity
05-28-2012, 11:04 AM
I still have yet to find a dub I liked more than the original although I have not heard the original outlaw star b/c I saw it in the states.

hellsing was better dubbed. gundam wing had a good dub, not better than the japanese, but still excellent.

outlaw star was a perfect dub. gungrave was well done too, ghost in the shell was good too.

ZERO
05-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I had always heard that Baccano! was better in english and we even watched it like that in club once. But when I then re-watched those 4 eps in jp it was a lot better and that is when I started to question how much people favor their native tong when listing to something that is good enough. I have found that in most cases the voice selections in the original language better match up with the characters so much so that not having them dramatically impacts the characterization itself.

Meltdown
05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Hail the web, I only watch telly for soccer or other sports.

Vladninja
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I had always heard that Baccano! was better in english and we even watched it like that in club once. But when I then re-watched those 4 eps in jp it was a lot better and that is when I started to question how much people favor their native tong when listing to something that is good enough. I have found that in most cases the voice selections in the original language better match up with the characters so much so that not having them dramatically impacts the characterization itself.

While I agree with that whole statement. I have to say I genuinely prefer dubbed on a lot of anime for one simple reason...
If there is a lot of dialogue going on during the action sequences I don't want to miss it reading the subtitles.
Evangelion is the best example of one I prefer to watch Dubbed.
You have to keep up with not only the action and character dialogue... but so much information is given just by also listening to radio chatter from Nerv headquarters in the background.
While bakemonogatari makes my top ten list of best anime's of all time the dialogue moves so fast I found myself constantly having to pause and back up to catch everything.
There are pro's and con's to both.... Sometimes things get lost in the English translation... while other times things just don't make sense or translate well.

Bane of Soldiers
05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
I can see why people might enjoy dubs on shonens, sci-fi, and other action packed shows. Together with a good lineup for the voice acting, a dub might be nice once in a while. And there are always some parts in a show where multiple characters are talking and only every other line of the background characters are subbed. Maybe I'm asking for too much lol. But for the most part, dubs come out awful... some people just may not notice if they don't watch enough subs, or prefer their native tongue. By the way, a warning to all of you, avoid Funimation's dub on <IS> Infinite Stratos. I watched half of the first ep and the voice actors they lined up were horrible

But if you enjoy slice-of-life and comedy, dubbing is an unspeakable evil lol. How else would we be able to enjoy all of our japanese puns, lingo, and jokes? :smirk:
Plus, at some point after watching tons of subs you'd adjust to reading the subs fast enough and even recognize key phrases so that you wouldn't need to read most exclamations and skip half the words in some sentences. Although the "-monogatari" series will truly put you to the test :lmao:

taz1stP
05-28-2012, 03:34 PM
my point is that they are going to be showing animes that are worth a shit i mean these animes they show are mostly shit from like ten years ago and are consent reruns but now there bringing back an old icon that i can relate to back before the first robot got killed.