PDA

View Full Version : Future ITEM suggestion thread

CYBER
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
So we already have a "race suggestion thread, but I was thinking that we could also suggest a few wcs shopmenu items that we might like around.
Keep in mind that this is a list of shit to HOPE seeing one day AFTER the old items come back, and doesn't guarantee that it would even consider what you wrote:P.

- Anti_burn [1500$] : Activates similar to anti_wards: In the event that you WOULD be set on flames, you'd get a 10 second immunity from flames countdown so that you run away from range. If you are already on fire, buying this item stops the flames for the next 10 seconds.
This would prevent being set on fire from flame preds, beast, hell hunter, chameleon, and bloodmage, as long as you leave the area of effect within 10 seconds. After 10 secs, if u get hit again by ulti or knife or bullet, it procs normally.

- anti_heal [2000]: While you have this item equipped, any race that heals or regens health for ITSELF within ~100 feet (range TBD), gets that same health dealth as damage instead.
this is a counter for undeadscourge, chameleon, jack, santa, die Xonvert, genocide, archmage, RING item, MASK item...but NOT the shadow hunter healing a poor innocent teammate near it:P
I'd like to see a bird buy ring around this item:smirk:

- poison arrow[3000]: Held item with a 15-30 % chance of activating when shooting enemy, and poison the target, making it lose 1 hp silently for the next 10 seconds. Does't stack if target already currently poisoned.

- leech_heal[3000]: Any time you recover hp, enemies within ~80 ft range get damaged by the same amount you recovered.
Informs a player when an enemy is hit by that damage via chat. This item is good combined with a regen race, or with ring or mask.

- anti_bash[1500]: Should a player get bashed, the player gets a 10 second immunity from getting bashed, so that they either kill the enemy or run. Note that for name simplicity its anti_bash, but it should also work on human bash, jacks clubs, or magician levi, archmage earthquake, die xonvert's freeze and impale.

- buy_ward [2000$]: ONCE per round only or death, a player can purchase ONE "ward" that he can use the same way as a shadow hunter would, using +ability. specially helpful for clutching a choke point, or defending a hallway. Restricted for : Shadow hunter, Strider Hyriu, and Magician Crow Form.

PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU WOULD HOPE TO SEE ONE DAY ON WCS SERVER! Make your shit reasonable and balanced!
If we get enough ppl sharing, I might ask for it to be stickied to find it better:)

edit: i think anti_burn was one of the old items, i forgot to chek >_<

Masskid
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
- Longjump [10000]: allows the the player to longjump >.> Restricted on both vaga's and races that already include longjump

CYBER
07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
- Longjump [10000]: allows the the player to longjump >.>
10k for long jump? holy shit;P
3 or 4k would have been more appealing:P

but glad to see people already be productive on this thread :)
anyone or anything else ppl?!:D

Masskid
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
10k for long jump? holy shit;P
3 or 4k would have been more appealing:P

but glad to see people already be productive on this thread :)
anyone or anything else ppl?!:D
it seems expensive, but some races would just straight up rape with this item.... flame pred... that is all

CYBER
07-26-2012, 11:23 AM
it seems expensive, but some races would just straight up rape with this item.... flame pred... that is all
hahaha that WOULD be funny, just be careful that races > items. so sometimes such items get restricted on those races:P and u'd be stuck with an overly priced item on a race that doesnt have speed or levi:P
but funny shit.
updated first post.

Masskid
07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
So we already have a "race suggestion thread, but I was thinking that we could also suggest a few wcs shopmenu items that we might like around.
Keep in mind that this is a list of shit to HOPE seeing one day AFTER the old items come back, and doesn't guarantee that it would even consider what you wrote:P.

- Anti_burn [1500$] : Activates similar to anti_wards: In the event that you WOULD be set on flames, you'd get a 10 second immunity from flames countdown so that you run away from range. If you are already on fire, buying this item stops the flames for the next 10 seconds.
This would prevent being set on fire from flame preds, beast, hell hunter, chameleon, and bloodmage, as long as you leave the area of effect within 10 seconds. After 10 secs, if u get hit again by ulti or knife or bullet, it procs normally.

- anti_heal [2000]: While you have this item equipped, any race that heals or regens health for ITSELF within ~100 feet (range TBD), gets that same health dealth as damage instead.
this is a counter for undeadscourge, chameleon, jack, santa, die Xonvert, genocide, archmage, RING item, MASK item...but NOT the shadow hunter healing a poor innocent teammate near it:P
I'd like to see a bird buy ring around this item:smirk:

- poison arrow[3000]: Held item with a 15-30 % chance of activating when shooting enemy, and poison the target, making it lose 1 hp silently for the next 30 seconds.

- leech_heal[3000]: Any time you recover hp, enemies within ~80 ft range get damaged by the same amount you recovered.
Informs a player when an enemy is hit by that damage via chat. This item is good combined with a regen race, or with ring or mask.

- anti_bash[1500]: Should a player get bashed, the player gets a 10 second immunity from getting bashed, so that they either kill the enemy or run. Note that for name simplicity its anti_bash, but it should also work on human bash, jacks clubs, or magician levi, archmage earthquake, die xonvert's freeze and impale.

- buy_ward [2000$]: ONCE per round only or death, a player can purchase ONE "ward" that he can use the same way as a shadow hunter would, using +ability. specially helpful for clutching a choke point, or defending a hallway.

PLEASE SHARE WHAT YOU WOULD HOPE TO SEE ONE DAY ON WCS SERVER! Make your shit reasonable and balanced!
If we get enough ppl sharing, I might ask for it to be stickied to find it better:)

edit: i think anti_burn was one of the old items, i forgot to chek >_<

Poison arrow too long, should have only like 4-5 seconds... 30 seconds is 30 health and after a firefight you wont have much left.
buy_ward - conflicts with other +ability skills (chameleon, crow, stryder, etc.)

CYBER
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
edited. again, some items would be restricted of course. but im adding them for testing purposes and to see players develop more "unique" gameplays with races. This way, for the same races, we dnt all be generic.
example of generic: vaga with lace, health mask.
human with lace health helm/ring

Masskid
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Shield_penetration [3000] - 35% to be able to shoot through a protective shield (molecule, shadowhunter[after lace fix?])

bit expensive but i mean if a molecule is tearing up your team round after round might as well pump alittle money to try to kill that sucker

CYBER
07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Shield_penetration [3000] - 35% to be able to shoot through a protective shield (molecule, shadowhunter[after lace fix?])

bit expensive but i mean if a molecule is tearing up your team round after round might as well pump alittle money to try to kill that sucker
assuming zero finally fixes that "bullets through shadow hunter invul" crap, then i most definitely LOVE this item, and its not expensive, on the countrary, since it will REALLY stomp on molecule. And i love how u made it a % chance to make it non overpowered, kudos.

Masskid
07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
assuming zero finally fixes that "bullets through shadow hunter invul" crap, then i most definitely LOVE this item, and its not expensive, on the countrary, since it will REALLY stomp on molecule. And i love how u made it a % chance to make it non overpowered, kudos.
the reason its "expensive" is because its 3k, an item slot, and race specific. without a molecule or shadow hunter its useless and someone can easily switch off the race afterwards and now your stuck with a useless items

CYBER
07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
disguise kit [1700]: ONCE per round or death, as soon as you buy this item, you will be disguised as an enemy for the next 10 seconds (same as mole effect, without the moling part)

maynard
07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
only items that were decent were the anti burn and the poison arrow... the rest were pointless, and the anti heal was down right ridiculous... you should be able 2 see why without me telling you.

CYBER
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
only items that were decent were the anti burn and the poison arrow... the rest were pointless, and the anti heal was down right ridiculous... you should be able 2 see why without me telling you.
thanks for the first part...
and for the second part, im willing to admit im retarded, just tell me why... bcos i dnt see it... is it USELESS? or OP? or impractical? or expensive etc... because i can surely use it with many combos... not sure about u guys. same for the rest of the list i made, they look weird and useless, it dpeends on u use them...drafted:)

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

anti_crit [2500] Negate any additonal damage dealt by a "critical" skill . (such as vaga, grenades , rap , jack, nebula etc) up to a total of 250 damage. i.e this would probably block a couple crit grenades or 3 vaga crit scouts or partial damage dealth by nebula etc... but the normal gun/grenade damage is still dealth.

maynard
07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
thanks for the first part...
and for the second part, im willing to admit im retarded, just tell me why... bcos i dnt see it... is it USELESS? or OP? or impractical? or expensive etc... because i can surely use it with many combos... not sure about u guys. same for the rest of the list i made, they look weird and useless, it dpeends on u use them...drafted:)\

it's OP as fuck... it's an item that basically says "hey, if there's a shadow hunter on your team, and he's near you, you're basically fucked unless you have full health... but even if you do, and start engaging in a fire fight, you will take even more dmg, just for there being a shadow hunter on your team and near you"... and what if there was multiple shadow hunters?

all that item is going 2 accomplish is make people hate their own team, and make people bitch 2 not play 1 of our key balancing races on the server. the price for an item like that would have 2 be like 7k lol... and even if it was 7k... or 10.... id still be beyond against it as it will just un balance and fuck the game up.

The Anti burn and poison were both decent ideas and original... they were even properly priced given what they do...

anti heal... well I just explained that....

life leach... is basically the exact same as anti heal... just slightly diff and is horrible for all the same reasons... this item doesn't leach any life... it just punishes people near you for you gaining life.. so not sure why it's called life leach? it's literally the exact same as anti heal, just slightly diff.

anti bash... just a pointless item... why do we need an item that basically destroys everyone's favorite starting race? and even later in the game, a race most still enjoy.

buy ward... lol hellz no. you want wards, play shadow hunter. items should be items that help you survive... not just something you think up which is basically just stealing an existing idea and trying 2 put it in item form... more so when it will unbalance the server... and even if we did allow people 2 purchase wards, 2k is beyond cheap. Wards destroy and fuck shit up, and the reason you get the race at a low level is it's designed 2 be a major balance roll for lower level people.

item's should be original and help the survivability of all races... not be an item that's basically just an ability stolen from another race, or an item that specifically aimed at one race.. I'm aware we have a couple... but it's obvious why if you want 2 purchase anti ward you can... a shadow hunter has 3 of them, they have huge radius and damage and go between floors... that and it's not a limted race meaning you can have several people doing this... so an anti ward makes sense.

making it so whenever people get healed from now on, so that damage is taken all over in a radius, and making is so any 1 can just drop a ward regardless of race is going 2 make it an unbalanced nightmare. vegabons, lions, spideys... dropping wards? lol.... hell no. not 2 mention if I was on shadowhunter, and had full money which isn't hard 2 get given you don't need 2 purchase a gun due 2 invuln and wards, I could literally have 11 wards in a round Lol.... that's just beyond horrible and as ive said several times will unbalance the absolute shit out of things.

CYBER
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
\

it's OP as fuck... it's an item that basically says "hey, if there's a shadow hunter on your team, and he's near you, you're basically fucked unless you have full health... but even if you do, and start engaging in a fire fight, you will take even more dmg, just for there being a shadow hunter on your team and near you"... and what if there was multiple shadow hunters?

all that item is going 2 accomplish is make people hate their own team, and make people bitch 2 not play 1 of our key balancing races on the server. the price for an item like that would have 2 be like 7k lol... and even if it was 7k... or 10.... id still be beyond against it as it will just un balance and fuck the game up.
before i even read the rest after that, did u even READ that the anti_heal would NOT affect shadow hunters? (i said shit that regens ITSELF, and second line states, NOT shadow hunters :) and i specifically said "so that the poor players dnt get fucked near them" ...
take a look lol...
but as for the item itself, it will be targetted at races doing their OWN regen, as a counter. if ANYONE would WANT to be change race, its the changing race itself, and people will think twice about buying Ring or mask (which i personally spam buying in every race i play)

EDIT to avoid double post:
for leech health, i initially made it so that it gains u health and damages others, thought it was op bcos its > ring. so i changed the effect so that u need ANOTHER item or skill leeching.. forgot to change the name of the item.... but the item is very helpful, not op since they have to be within range AND u;d have to waste money on ring beforehand or a skill that leeches... the item itself uses "slight damage" in a very controlled radius in order to pinpoint if someone got near u for example, and it helps ppl regen health properly while still engaging enemies...

as for anti_Wards, i added it later out of boredom, i realise its retarded now, figured it would be restricted to races that dont have speed or fly or teleport. but for the sake of arguement man, i DID say that shadow hunters and striders cant buy them :P lol

but hey, i like ur imput :), at least you give a fuck

Chikun
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
I know we had it before but what about the item that made your footsteps silent?

maynard
07-26-2012, 03:24 PM
ive always given a fuck about WCS, and always will.

my apologies, did not see the note about the shadowhunter being excluded from the mix as I was getting 3 kids ready for swimming lessons... but I still don't like the idea of punishing people for healing given there's many ways it's done and accomplished in the server... a 2k item that prevents all healing in a radius is a bit much given how many races/item it screws with.

CYBER
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
ive always given a fuck about WCS, and always will.my apologies, did not see the note about the shadowhunter being excluded from the mix as I was getting 3 kids ready for swimming lessons... but I still don't like the idea of punishing people for healing given there's many ways it's done and accomplished in the server... a 2k item that prevents all healing in a radius is a bit much given how many races/item it screws with.I see ur point for the anti heal. But i would defintely love that one day we get that leech heal effect (wtvr i named it) at a decently higher price, its an item i can pull lots of combos with and is very handy but is balanced by number of races and the need to buy another +3000$ ring, and close range control only. Keep up the gd work! And thx for feedback:) other ideas ppl???

What
07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Anti-Lace-4000 (takes up 2 item spots) Negates the effect of Necklace of Immunity within 50 feet

I know its a short range, but thats to make it not completely wipe out the importance of a lace. I think it would be nice if a race like rapscallion wouldn't be hosed once the round has progressed to where most people have a lace. Obvious restriction on Vaga-races since this would effectivly make them nearly uncounterable. Also since it is ranged cryptlords and eye-ra's can't be all queer with their ultimates.

-Just a Thought

CYBER
07-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Anti-Lace-4000 (takes up 2 item spots) Negates the effect of Necklace of Immunity within 50 feet

I know its a short range, but thats to make it not completely wipe out the importance of a lace. I think it would be nice if a race like rapscallion wouldn't be hosed once the round has progressed to where most people have a lace. Obvious restriction on Vaga-races since this would effectivly make them nearly uncounterable. Also since it is ranged cryptlords and eye-ra's can't be all queer with their ultimates.

-Just a Thought
lol, i was a bit hesitant about this, but i like the fact that it takes up TWO slots .+ its expensive + its short range. well played ,lets see if maynard likes it.
and well...as much as i would love having this as vaga, u;re right, better without it, it takes skill to avoid these situations as vaga.

in addition , WHAT IF there was only an "anti_lace" doesnt work on YOU, but on a teammate in range only??let's call it a "helping hand lace"
encourages team play, as a vaga, you cant run away alone with an anti_lace, but if u had a teammate up to 50ft , it can help u get out just enough to avoid these end of round situations where ppl just stare into the sky lol...
would also be nice to see people walking together, much like how a shadow hunter should walk in the first place. certainly would add more TEAM PLAY to the server, instead of people being solo idiots running recklessly. this way, if u have a friend that does chain lightning for example, it can only use its ultimate on an enemy , only if the enemy AND a teammate with helping_Hands are within range. situational, but helpful

What
07-26-2012, 07:47 PM
in addition , WHAT IF there was only an "anti_lace" doesnt work on YOU, but on a teammate in range only??let's call it a "helping hand lace"
encourages team play, as a vaga, you cant run away alone with an anti_lace, but if u had a teammate up to 50ft , it can help u get out just enough to avoid these end of round situations where ppl just stare into the sky lol...
would also be nice to see people walking together, much like how a shadow hunter should walk in the first place. certainly would add more TEAM PLAY to the server, instead of people being solo idiots running recklessly. this way, if u have a friend that does chain lightning for example, it can only use its ultimate on an enemy , only if the enemy AND a teammate with helping_Hands are within range. situational, but helpful[/QUOTE]

Teamwork? TEAMWORK?!?!?! Have you every played WCS, bah I say, though on the face of it not a terrible idea, but I think that would be coding and glitchy nightmare.

Masskid
07-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Anti-lace I don't like, I just find it overpowered, also 4k is nothing. 4k is cheap as Fuck, there is a reason you can buy a lace almost every round, it's almost essential for living, anti-lace is not, if anything like that were created it should go for 8-11k for end game type items also the races(rap) that need them could afford because they don't need money...

CYBER
07-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Maynard? Can we sticky this shit so that it doesnt disappear in the list?And masskid has a point, again i was on the fence initially about anti-lace.

What
07-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't think you are really seeing what the anti-lace would do. It would allow the undead ultimate to become relavent, make void a bit better at close range only, and allow you to teleport away from close combat. most other races would find it somewhat irrelevent. I doubt athenas or striders and the like would ever buy it since the limited range offers little to no payoff for them. I don't see how it would be overpowered, vagas dont have it, races with long/unlimited ulti range gain no real benefit. I mean a raiden/orc would already have to be so close to the enemy for their ultimate to work again that its benefit is not overpowered.

Masskid
07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
I do understand what it does, I'm also looking from a human perspective. If I can basicly teleport from close combat I feel sorry for any knife race, one main thing that kills me as a human is the inability to teleport away....

Assassin
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Uh that being said tho...it's really not. You tele away and the rap or flame pred is alrdy back on u and u just burned ur cd which doesn't come back up so fast as I remem.

Masskid
07-27-2012, 09:36 AM
It's called teleing to a ledge... Now they can't even touch you

lychee
07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Please bring back cat amulet or at least I think it is called cat amulet for silent footsteps. Chikun is right, flame preds need this. The potion of invulnerbility is pretty cool too, so bring it back as well. There should be an item that lets flame pred or rapsacallion buy flashbangs, so it will make them extra sneaky. The cost should be around 3000.

Masskid
07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Lol assassin your name gave me an idea.

Assassin's cloak[8000]- for every 2 seconds you sit still you become 15% more invisible up to 85%(restricted human, vagas, flamepred)

if a race has cloak(cloak of shadows)(succubus hunter) the race skill will take priority and the item will be disabled for the round

lychee
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Lol assassin your name gave me an idea. Assassin's cloak[5000-8000]- for every 2 seconds you sit still you become 15% more invisible up to 75%-85%??

I think this item is too overpowering. Will is stack with human or flame preds' invisibility?

Assassin
07-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Ok you tele to a ledge and the flame pred or rap runs the other way and waits for you to come down...he's locked down a person till ur c/d comes up again or u jump down and take damage. Either way it's done his job. As for the cloak..holy shit yes that's awesome. And yes the cat's ammy should be brought back but I think flame preds and other invis's SHOULDN'T be able to buy it....would be O/P as fuck for them. There alrdy hard as shit to see and kill. And no obv it won't stack with invis races (ie they will not be able to buy it).

Masskid
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm trying to type from a phone xD, restricted on any race with any type of invisible, also shooting breaks the cloak... It's meant for surprise attacks

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

You haven't seen me play human -.- if you think a flame predictions will do anything to me

lychee
07-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm trying to type from a phone xD, restricted on any race with any type of invisible, also shooting breaks the cloak... It's meant for surprise attacks

There is cloak of invisibility already.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

it will be pretty cool to have a necklace that lets you fly around like dragonfly. Cost should be around 3200.

Masskid
07-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Cloak doesn't invisible as much?? It's supposed to be more cloak then cloak of shadows xD

lychee
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Cloak doesn't invisible as much?? It's supposed to be more cloak then cloak of shadows xD

It is hard to see humans already if they are in a sneaky spot, so I personally think your idea is pretty cool, but just too empowering. Cost should be 8000 and any race that has invisibility can not buy it or it will not stack with those races with invisibility.

Masskid
07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
I edited it, your thoughts??

Spasm
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
anti-lace would be a great skill for a new class though... :)

lychee
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I edited it, your thoughts??

Why can't I see your edit?

Assassin
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
obv no invis race can buy it and again the pt is to win the round overall...not balance round 1v1. So he locks u down somewhat...and does his job to keep u held there. Good enough for me...plus it has other utilities too.

Masskid
07-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Ya that sounds much better.... Actually this is like making races with 1 skill only lol

CYBER
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
i'll try to come up with a balanced new race using that shit by tomorrow (final tomorrow morning...).
it would be an anti-meta race, that is a counter for most meta played races with immunity shit

and after thinking, I personally i dont like the anti_lace, but thats my personal opinion. When walk by with a lace as last guy, I most definitely wouldnt wanna be surprised with someone anti_lacing my ass. again, personal reasons :P ... how pissed off would u be to have little health and a crypt lord or BM camping objective with anti_lace fucking u up.?:P

maynard
07-27-2012, 05:45 PM
i dont like the anti_lace, but thats my personal opinion.

+1 anti lace is horrible.

Wolfenstinger
07-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Tome of Death Experience ($3500) - Grants the user 100xp when bought and 20xp every round they survive.

Think thats what it was called back then. And the cost.

StarsMine
07-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Would it stack? As in would buying 3 of them make it 60xp per round survived?
Also considering its better then a tome I think the price needs to be slightly higher, also I would hate for it to start encouraging camping.

Assassin
07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah It would have to be like 6k prolly and stars ppl camp all the time alrdy...

CYBER
07-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Would it stack? As in would buying 3 of them make it 60xp per round survived?Also considering its better then a tome I think the price needs to be slightly higher, also I would hate for it to start encouraging camping.Actually i THINK that the item has already been on the server before, and i THINK it was limited to one item (much like buyin a lace or health pack) and i PERSONALLY think that 3500 isnt that much problem. Granted its better than a normal te true, but dnt forget that ur normal tome doesnt count towards ur 3 items. This one does and limits ur flexibility as a race nust because u're holding that continuously. Not to mention that u might die since u're replacing this item instead of a health or pace or ring or antiward etc.... IF ANYTHING, it would be 4k, 4500 is pushing it .

Chikun
07-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Actually I think that the item has already been on the server before, and I think it was limited to one item (much like buying a lace or health pack) and I personally think that 3500 isn't that much of a problem. Granted its better than a normal tome true, but don't forget that your normal tome doesn't count towards your 3 items. This one does and limits your flexibility as a race and because you're holding that continuously. Not to mention that u might die since you're replacing this item instead of a health, lace, ring, or anti-ward etc.... If anything, it would be 4k, 4500 is pushing it.

Agreed, and it was on the server before but I believe it was 6k for it.

Wolfenstinger
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Would it stack? As in would buying 3 of them make it 60xp per round survived?
Also considering its better then a tome I think the price needs to be slightly higher, also I would hate for it to start encouraging camping.

No. And -shrug- price can be higher than that, was just throwing a general number out that i thought was it.

Akoiah
08-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Amulet of the Cat [3000] No footsteps while running.

Doesn't anyone else miss this from 1.6? it was a great item.

acolyte_to_jippity
08-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Amulet of the Cat [3000] No footsteps while running.

Doesn't anyone else miss this from 1.6? it was a great item.

on our old server, it made you walk constantly.

so no, none of us miss it haha

Akoiah
08-02-2012, 11:51 PM
on our old server, it made you walk constantly.

so no, none of us miss it haha

FIX IT! :banghead:

its great when it works correctly