PDA

View Full Version : Anime Summer 2012 Season: Thoughts Thus Far

Bane of Soldiers
08-06-2012, 10:59 PM
We're rounding the final straightaway for the summer season, and since I'm already wasting time, I'll continue on and just write up this unorganized block of text. The topic: my impression of five of the shows from this season...

I'm starting with the short ones first... short because I haven't watched it, I've only heard about it from other viewers. Also gonna stay in line with keeping it short by leaving out promotional pictures and summaries. Easy to find on MyAnimeList.

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

One of your run-of-the-mill harem shows. Good or bad depending on your taste. Magic, high school, swords, and monsters from what I hear. If you liked Highschool DxD from last season, I think this show would suit you... Although I will warn you, I heard complaints from episode 2, a portion of the show was used for a weird scene that sounds like it belongs in a hentai title... The artwork looks to be like many modern animes of the same genre, if you get what I mean. The colors are pretty bright... I'm told the music is decent/good, not annoying... For me personally, a redeeming point can be found in the voice actors. Almost all of the main characters are familiar voices

Campione!

I heard some good feedback about this show. It's about god-slayers (I think?) aka Campiones... Borrows a lot of aspects and names from mythology, but also makes some inaccuracies all for convenience/originality?... This one's another harem, but not intense like Highschool DxD or Hagure Yuusha no Estetica. The artwork looks good, fitting for a title from this year and of this genre... I've heard nothing about the music... Some familiar names in the voicing staff. Oh, and one criticism I hear is that this adaption of the light novel squeezed a novel into the first 4-5 episodes. Tis common though, rushing character introductions and plot.

And onto the things that I have watched... I'm lucky to have selected titles that I have enjoyed a lot. Doesn't say much because I'm usually laidback with my ratings, but I'd give these three shows a 5/5 easy. I will include a summary for these because it's hard to talk about how these shows are by likening the plots to another show/genre. The stories to these shows are a definite selling point
...A random thought, I'm getting confused switching between Chihayafuru, Tari Tari, and Kokoro Connect, all shows that I'm watching right now. And all shows where one of the main character's first name is "Taichi" -_-

Tari Tari

A music show! When the club advisor refuses to let senior Konatsu sing in the school's famous musical event, she decides to create her own choir club. She draws in her friend Sawa, the transfer student Wien, the reserved and serious Wakana, and badminton enthusiast Taichi. With music, they bond and confront their own problems. That sounds cheesy, but I think that's fairly accurate for the first 5 episodes. Although it's from P.A. Works, the artwork isn't anything like Angel Beats! (the difference of having Na-Ga around o.o). But I like the art a lot. It's simple, kinda like Hyouka, except more bright and cheerful (not that Hyouka has dark artwork, but Tari Tari has a brighter vibe) I don't know if this is a selling point, but there aren't any of the stereotypical "bright and different colored hair/eyes girls" in this show. I like both, but it's just something to mention as we're talking about artwork... The staff for the main character voicing are kinda-ish unknown. About three of them have only been seen in the staff of very recent titles... but I don't mind, because this show's music is very well done in my opinion. Unlike K-On!, all 5 main characters sound pretty good thus far (I loved the five girls girls from K-On!, and as much as I love Azusa especially, the only one that can sing well in that entire group is Mio). The OP and the ED sound great too. I liked Tari Tari a lot, I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't dislike slice of life or music

Sword Art Online

An adaption of the light novel series, Sword Art Online was undoubtedly the most anticipated title of the season. And it did not fail to deliver. What happens when you're trapped in a virtual reality MMO game, where escape is winning and an empty health bar is death. Well, there are some clear problems with this storyline, such as bathroom and eating... The first episode tries to explain this by claiming that eating in the game makes them not hungry anymore (and you are left to imply that all the needs of the body can be satisfied and done in game. So we have some "only-possible-in-anime" stuff... but if that bothers you, you're probably better off watching something else? I personally think that you can enjoy a show so much more when you think "Hell, I'll go with it" and stick it all the way through. Enjoy the fucking ride. I feel that you'll truly love a show when you can recognize its flaws but still love it for what it is. Although if you end up hating the show, you have some ammo? lol). The artwork is good, bright and not obnoxious bright. Good colors and lines, GREAT backgrounds and scenery... The action isn't shounen level; good or bad? I like both; I have no complaints about this show, the plot and drama keeps me satisfied... Not very big names in the voicing staff, but that's not a minus (this kind of stuff can only be a plus in my opinion)... The music is simply superb. I don't know who sings the ending, but it's very fitting and sounds great. The opening is sung by LiSA (Fate/Zero opening 1 and Yui's singing voice in Angel Beats!). The opening is very much like LiSA's other songs, and as expected, it is amazing... One of the most common criticisms of this show is that it is supposed to be very like the hack// titles? I haven't watched any of those myself.... But this show I strongly recommend!

Kokoro Connect

Another adaption of a light novel series! Our characters are five club members who are the subject of a curious phenomenon: at random times, they randomly switch bodies with one another! Artwork is very similar to Tari Tari above. If you didn't get the impression from earlier, this is a great thing :D
I like the music. The opening is light and catchy; the ending strikes a dramatic tune at first (dramatic not dark), very fitting for the show. It's really catchy and melodic. Most of the voicing staff is unknown, not doing much major roles. Except for one, Aki Toyosaki for those of us who know what Yui Hirasawa sounds like, you'll hear her again, except without the "...are?" tone (that is not the english word "are," for my non-obsessed readers. Pronounced something like "a-ray".... well, if you don't get what I mean, just move on :P). If you liked Iwasawa from Angel Beats!, her voice is unmistakable. Without Aki Toyosaki, the cast lacks any major names in voice acting as of 2012 (that, or I need to watch a lot more anime without seiyuus I'm familiar with)... The greatest sell point of this show is it's lightheartedness and comedy at some points, and then awesome dramatic plot at others. As expected of SILVER LINK, this show I recommend as a must watch for slice of life enthusiasts; I would still strongly recommend this show if you weren't one! I always hate it when people talk up a show and it turns out not as great as they say, but I just can't resist doing it. This is a real gemstone of a title in this season.

Episode 5 of both Sword Art Online and (especially) of Kokoro Connect actually made me want to write this up. SO DAMN GOOD

ZERO
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
hack// was ok but the show did not have enough action to drive the plot as compared to SOA. On the other hand SOA is more oriented with the plot by action strategy and unlike hack the main character in SOA has a higher chance of death. In fact the reality of death seems to be much more enforced in SOA which helps keep the audience attached to the focus of the story. SOA also uses this factor to then go out side and explain more about how people in general live though this by the use of side stories that we currently see. The most similar title to SOA I would actually say is Accel World which is from the same author.

Bane of Soldiers
08-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Ahh I forgot all about Accel World because I'm all the way back at episode 14, need to get back into that soon... Shakugan no Shana Final and To Love Ru first though :3

And I would definitely agree that Accel World and Sword Art Online are very similar, being the same author and all lol. I hear there's even a short cross over story featuring a battle between Kirito and Haruyuki. But coming from different studios, the artwork is doubtlessly different; Accel World is more bright and saturated at some points. I personally like SAO's artwork a lot better

I can't be judge for the hack// series, but can you say that being alike to Accel World is a criticism? :smirk: