Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Next Valve Game Breaker in the works

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Penis シ View Post
    Half Life 3 confirmed.
    took too long still 2 1/2 strikes.

2. Default

Seems like they're continually trying to push people to CS:GO. Will it boost sales? We shall see!

4) Use admin privileges sparingly and appropriately.

wow this fucking blows..... i was day dreaming the other day about coming home and getting on WCS with a big fat burrito from chiopotle. my dreams have been crushed, mine as well extend tell the end ),=
    Personal reform

4. Default

They are doing it for all source games not just CS:S

The main drive appears to be so that they can create a workshop system similar to NS2 for TF2 in the future. Such technology will also allow them to do what NS2 does in the future (which is what I was worried about when NS2 came out) which is to blacklist servers that use custom maps ect and have direct control over all mods that servers can have.

angel_08_02.jpg

For example in ns2 it is impossible to have a server distribute content directly to users. Instead when I say make an update to Jack (which uses content players dl from out server) I got to submit that update to Valve first and have it accepted and then update it on the server and clients. In theory this gives everyone a mandatory really shitty CDN rather than a dedicated file serve for operations like us. What it also does is make it really hard to develop things b/c you can not test directly in the real world. For example when making changes to jack custom content I would need a second workshop mod to make those changes to so that it would not fuck up the live version. Then after testing the beta version I can then roll out the full version. However, such things clutter up the workshop between client sided mods and server sided fill (in the future workshop may address this).

Overall what I see is them simply making moves to further limit what sorts of mods and things can run in the future. If CS:GO is any indication it is clear to me that valve simply wants to eliminate private servers and mod content as much as possible so that they can sell monetized replacements.

So put simply what I see in the future is:

Valve->
    working_09_02.jpg

US->
    working_13_02.jpg

Luckily I still think we are a long way off from them destroying private servers (especially if CS:GO continues to be a flop).

However, it is important to note that they will be releasing this update for games like CS:S BEFORE TF2 so that it can break CS:S first and then they can fix any problems so that TF2 works fine. Also yes this is what they said that it would be released for all other source games before TF2 so that the TF2 servers would get a version that is fixed after the clusterfuck that happens to everyone else.

UTWoots_Sword_Art_Online_-_02_720p120D9768.mkv_snapshot_15.45_2012.07.21_15.54.42.jpg

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    <zero's long post>
    they already have workshop for TF2 though, don't they? does it differ from NS2's? i don't use the TF2 one, i prefer to mod my shit on my own (gamebananna ftw)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

6. Default

Lets put it another way, TF2 has hats right? Imagine for TF3 they will want the same. Valve got pissed that servers could give people hats for free (only on that server) b/c servers can give clients files. If servers can not give clients files than problem solved.

7. Default

Servers cannot give clients files = death of the modding community.

I truly hate the direction this industry is heading. We're all going to be paying $1.50 per map pretty soon. And that's really not going to work out for me at all.

8. Default

kill the modding community in a game that itself orginated...as a mod.

valve logic.

Through the darkness of futures past,
    The magician longs to see
    One chants out between two worlds:
    Fire, walk with me.

9. Default

Luckily I do not see them doing something that extreme with current games but it is future games that worry me.