Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by mag36 View Post
    keeeping up with server and mods and stuff is not as easy as it looks.... you all know i started running a server for a while and RL stuff happens and shit gets to busy (from grandfather dieing to moving so many times and shit)to keep up with So I passed it on to rezel and others it lasted for a while but getting a server to stick and stay active can be alot of work specially for minecraft if you cant dedicate the hours.

But good luck mikey. If you need advice let me know but im not going to try to do all that mess again
    Yes, i am aware that it is perceived as not being easy. Me currently being in an environment where RL shit can happen at any given moment i have learned to progressively plan. Im also aware that the largest contributor to our past servers not working was because they were hosted and a steady income was not maintained. Seeing as how id like my server to benefit me in the long run, i can not give up so easily. Having 1 or two other people who will be allowed access to my hosted server, will greatly help with server maintenance if i am away. i have 30 days of leave when i return home in the summer time, it being summer time im betting on a few dedicated individuals who have some spare time are willing to help.

The only question i have for you at the moment is regarding a Server Build for minecraft. Any hardware suggestions for something dedicated to a 50+ slot server?
    for 50 players what should i look for in regards to Down/Up?
    Personal reform

2. Default

50 down 10 up will be fine. If you're running addons with people, you need RAM. Lots of it. We are dedicating 2 gigs of ram i think 1333mhz per server and that works GREAT if you don't have mods running. If we stress the server. Like if we place 6000/10000 blocks at once (and yes, we are doing that now) it will fill up that RAM and dump the server's population.
    Note that is VERY high stress for a server. But I would dedicate 6-8gigs per server. So get 8x2 or 4x4 1600mhz. That way you have enough for your server + OS + w/e else you want to do on your server.

Edit: the 50 down and 10 up will be more then enough, just remember, any personal downloads(game updates ect) will effect your server. So just schedule them wisly.

Due to my lack of resources in my current situation, i began creating the server spawn point! Literally just started, here are a few pictures of the hour iv put in so far. Im going with quartz as i feel it gives a good "goverment" feel. A Professional look that introduces new players to what seems to be good order and grand structure, thus hopefully encouraging grand things from the player. Not sure if im going to go "roman" themed. Anyways, the first somewhat complete building is a shop. In the starter zone i will have two symmetrical shops, a "spawn" plaza, a bounty board, "hotel" for first couple night beds, a bizzare for players to set up shops for newbies to purchase from and house lots.

2013-04-26_23.12.48.png2013-04-26_23.13.08.png2013-04-26_23.13.28.png2013-04-26_23.13.55.png2013-04-26_23.14.07.png2013-04-26_23.14.14.png
    Personal reform

4. Default

Looking good so far. keep it up!

5. Default

Mikey, you were talking about adding quests, check out Roosterteeth's Mine craft let's play. they have compititions for everyone. Here's an example:
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

quests would be awesome! Though i cant watch this video as it takes like 15 hours to load.... explain it?
    Personal reform

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    quests would be awesome! Though i cant watch this video as it takes like 15 hours to load.... explain it?
    Oh sorry dude I didn't think that you wouldn't be able to watch video's very well.

Anyways what they're do:

They have what they call "The Tower of Pimps" which is their trophey, and whoever wins the weekly quest or game gets to put the tower outside of their house until the next competition.

In this one the Tower has been hidden somewhere on the map and the first person to find it wins. Now they are on the xbox verson so the maps are much smaller than pc, about 1000x1000 only, so we would just use a continent. The real tower is four gold blocks on top of obsidian, but they put up fake towers everywhere; gold wool or only three blocks or whatever.

Players start with nothing and have to make their own tools and food and can kill eachother of they want. It's hilarious how they work together or target the players who get good equipment.

Another one they do is the host builds a tower in the middle and has it armed with diamond weapons and arrows and the players have to kill him and take the tower he has built on the top. But only one player can win, so if they work together to take it they then turn on each other once they get it down. The guy up top is dropping lava and arrows on them as they try to build their way up, its pretty hilarious.

8. Default

Now that sounds fun. ^
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones

is this all a mod nem? This would be perfect for the world event ideas or pvp events.
    Personal reform

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    is this all a mod nem? This would be perfect for the world event ideas or pvp events.
    no they do it all in vanilla. they sey up the rules on their own and everything and go from there.