Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Frontier

Default A New Frontier

The Grand Scheme

This is an introduction to my brainstorming process regarding my future minecraft server and your future minecraft home. I would like any one who is interested after reading this rough plan to offer feedback and suggestions, become a part of this project and assist in its development as much as they can.

I have an underlying goal, to create a world that encourages teamwork and group projects while at the same time granting players who wish to play alone, privacy. Doing all of this with as little mods as possible. You might think, “that just is not possible with a minecraft world, its all lies, like the cake I built in my dirt shack.” Well, I will continue this piece with some major concepts I will use to make this all a reality.

-PvP enabled-

PvP will always be on except during specific events which I will get into later on. Adding this PVP aspect will allow players to to several of the following things.

-Thieve: A player may choose to steal and slay other players but at a cost. Community bounty boards will be up in all major towns, allowing players to post bounties on players or other things (i.e. caves, monsters, items(wish lists)) without the use of mods, this board will simply be a “wall” that players can post protected signs on. Once a player completes another players request, they may reap what ever rewards the quest giver offered. Whether it be gold for there sweet revenge on another or assistance and services. The goal here is to create camaraderie among the players, a griefer is going to grief but if everyone is aware and actively working together.. that griefer is going to hate being slain at every turn. (this does not mean that someone will go unpunished for unacceptable behavior. This server WILL have rules!)

-PVP Events: PVP events will be world events similar to a large “Capture the Flag” This idea is still in the works and needs a lot more time to develop.

-World Events-

World events are, well, world events. Here are some of the rough ideas in which I will implement world events without the use of excessive mods.

Before I get into specific world events id like to inform everyone with how the world will work. There will be set chunk limits (boundaries) to limit how far a player can explore (part reason due to server file size, a way to regulate how large the world file size will be.) but mostly to add some sort of significance to the below world events. Upon successfully completing a world event, more map will be revealed as “Frontier Landscape.” In literal terms, I will increase the chunk limit to expand further, generating more world. With that said, here are some world event ideas id love to see happen.

-Project Mode: During Project mode world events, every single player who wishes to participate will be granted “Creative Mode” to help assist in whatever project we are working on at the time. This will be organized events that encompass a large scale building project. Upon completing the project events, depending on exactly what the building is, world rewards will be granted relevant to the building and “World Story.” Ex. We collectively build a giant cathedral, this cathedral now allows players to access the nether “Hell” leading to an exit portal in a far off land (New frontier for building and playing).

-War events: This one is pretty simple, Given a specific theme players will have to unite together to fight off NPCS (Monsters) or even each other, with a final objective of… DESTROYING ENEMY TERRITORY/BASES!!! Successfully completing these events will result in new unlocked territory, “won” by the victors.

-PVP world Events: more thought still needs to be put into this as to make it fun and mod free. I was leaning towards battlegrounds of sorts, Project events to build new “battlegrounds” “Unlocking” new maps to have full scale PVP wars!

-Forum Requests-
    Forum requests will be a system for players to request certain things from the admins and community. Here is a small list of things a player may be able to request.

-A player can put in a request to have an area protected. Preventing there personal projects from being griefed by trolls when they are away.

-A player may request that a project/city be officially recognized as a notable location in our world.

- a player may request bans and punishment for players who they deem unworthy of our server services (i.e. Rule breakers)

-a Player may request events and world events, when a request like this is submitted, a discussion will open up to start organizing a date and RSVP's.

-A player my submit applications for various leadership or moderating roles.

-A player may purchase minor administrating rights

-A player may subscribe monthly or one time purchase the ability to use "Gamemode 1" and other fast track building rights.

The few mods that will be implemented

-World Guard
    -World Edit
    -Basic Bukkit Admin mods

And i will be using MCedit

NOTE!!!!!
    Please keep in mind that i am currently deployed and cannot have a server up for another few months. I actually cant do much work with this right now as i am. That is why i would like to take this time to start brainstorming!
    Last edited by DJ_MikeyRevile; 04-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Personal reform

2. Default

It all sounds good, but i'm sure implementing some of these mods would be harder than it looks. Do they make mods for "world events" and the like? your next hurdle would be server popularity. In order to sucessfully have world events there has to be a large player base to take part. I would first start with filling the server up, then trial the world events once more players are there to offer their opinions.

All in all, it sounds fun and I can't wait to play again.

If you were a beautiful sound in the echos all around, I'd be your harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by XX0wnsXY View Post
    It all sounds good, but i'm sure implementing some of these mods would be harder than it looks. Do they make mods for "world events" and the like? your next hurdle would be server popularity. In order to sucessfully have world events there has to be a large player base to take part. I would first start with filling the server up, then trial the world events once more players are there to offer their opinions.

All in all, it sounds fun and I can't wait to play again.
    The goal is 50 slot, i do plan advertising as well though im sure populating the server will be the hardest part in all of this. i wasn't planning on having any mods for world events, heres is a couple examples of how id do a world event with out any mods apart from your run of the mill bukkit.

Project events: Gamemode 1 all participating players, this is already a built in feature to the game that disables upon logging off then back on to the server, preventing players from abusing to much this privilege.

War Events: this one would take some preparation and a bit of seclusion from the server populace but that wont be hard considering the purpous of this event is to clear out new "uncharted" territory. Again, with out any mods apart from basic bukkit, prepare a large area with vacant buildings and mob spawners.

every thing would be discussed in advance and people would yay or nay there participation prior to the event via a forum thread. id probably work it like a world advisory "Forces are approaching (Our world name) they are expected to arrive 1 week from now, will you bare arms and protect our home!???" ( Bam people reply to thread with yes or no, i have a life)
    Personal reform

4. Default

Zeppelin Mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Zeppelin Mod?
    Possibly, link me to it or a video. I wouldnt just add it, it would probably be a reward for world progression.
    Personal reform

6. Default

I'm a proud supporter of this thread and another attempt at a minecraft server!

We need to keep mods at a minimum. They are fun to a point but they are also a pain in the ass to learn and can lag the server.
    So for a new person coming inside a server, we want them to be able to learn quickly how to fit in. Not have to read 2 hours worth of rules and shit to finally be able to place a block down.

I am a HUGE supporter of any type of bounty system, although, I would suggest there be a bounty forum section. That way we could start a forum post with Name, Any Needed Info needed to find said person, such as normal times on and what grids (x,y,z) said player is normally found at. Then another can post a screen shot of that player being killed or something and collect the bounty and the thread can be closed. Having a "Top 5 Bounty Board" in game wouldn't be a bad idea though. This would help attract people to the forums and also keep things simple and clean.

im thinking that i will be hosting my own server rather then using a host provider. Im currently researching servers and will post what i will end up making for you all to comment on.

Ill also be using an ISP that will grant 50mb/s down 10mb,s up for 100 a month. Any thoughts on this? How many people do you think a dedicated server with 10mbs up can host?
    Personal reform

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    Ill also be using an ISP that will grant 50mb/s down 10mb,s up for 100 a month. Any thoughts on this? How many people do you think a dedicated server with 10mbs up can host?
    We are running 50 down and 10 up on our private minecraft server. It handles 2 servers with 10 people each AND 6 other people streaming on the network no problem.
    So in my opinion, that should be enough speed to start out with. If the server gets popular(20+ on) then we might want to consider other options.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    Possibly, link me to it or a video. I wouldnt just add it, it would probably be a reward for world progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

that actually looks pretty neat.

Though i would have to test with it before implementing.

update: im planning on building a server that can host two MC servers. The actual world server and a test server. With a 50 down 10 up internet service and 16GB of ram, we should be able to handle mods and a decent player base for starting out. I will be looking into 4 slot server M/B's so that if in the future i decide to upgrade it wont hurt my pockets as much.
    Personal reform