Thread: Terrible Map Selection

1. Default Terrible Map Selection

The maps on this server are, for the most part, terrible. We already have a hard enough time getting players on so when the choices are huge, pub-oriented maps it just kills the little bit of traffic we already get.

The voting selection should be pared down to the most popular maps that are played and the rest should be removed. We should then add the quick, compact mirrored maps that excel in gungame mods and will excel here.

The server won't grow unless we get rid of these population killing maps.

Instead of just bitching I'll list the maps that should appear in the vote:

1. gg_deagle5 - staple map of any server, gg or otherwise. It's quick and everyone loves it.
    2. fy_complex - smaller scale map and great in dm with a half dozen to over 20 players.
    3. gg_aim_ag_texture_jungle - I hate this map but it doesn well on the server, another gg staple and a small scale
    4. aim_ag_texture_city_advanced - Good map for any number of players.
    5. gg_mario_vs_wario - an example of the mirrored map. Good for any number of players.
    6. gg_fy_funtimes - good map, enough said.
    7. playground_x_s - not a terrible map, although it suffers greatly when the server population is low.
    8. geek_mspacman - small map and serviceable with any number of players.
    9. gg_ruins_dawn - kind of blah, but small enough that it's not bad.
    10. gg_natus_v2 - not bad, can get a little big with a few people but again, not terrible.

Maps that are serviceable but may need work:
    1. aim_ag_texture2 - Good map, unfortunately the spawns are terrible. It constantly spawns you on towers with no way down but to jump and take half your health in dmg, or sit there and just get picked off. Spawns need work in order to make it a great map.

Top played maps that need to be removed:
    1. gg_temple_arena - just too big for the number of people we get. It can stay on the server but it shouldn't come up as often in the votes.
    2. de_speedcastle_v2 - simply too big if you don't have a moderate population.
    3. de_dust_sun - Jesus Christ this map is terrible for GGDM it needs to be removed immediately. It's fucking massive and spread out that it dwarfs 10 players. simply too big for what we have. That said, it's a great WCS map.
    4. gg_wmd_pulsar - Again, this map is just too big for the players we get. It's also dark and has extra shit on the sides that just makes it more of a maze. needs to go.
    5. DM_Hot_CN_v1 - another silly map that needs to go.
    6. gg_wmd_cellular - I'm pretty sure Zero already got this one as it always crashes the server.
    Last edited by Nemesis; 07-04-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

2. Default

Maps that are serviceable but may need work:
    1. aim_ag_texture2 - Good map, unfortunately the spawns are terrible. It constantly spawns you on towers with no way down but to jump and take half your health in dmg, or sit there and just get picked off. Spawns need work in order to make it a great map.

Top played maps that need to be removed:
    1. gg_temple_arena - just too big for the number of people we get. It can stay on the server but it shouldn't come up as often in the votes.
    2. de_speedcastle_v2 - simply too big if you don't have a moderate population.
    3. de_dust_sun - Jesus Christ this map is terrible for GGDM it needs to be removed immediately. It's fucking massive and spread out that it dwarfs 10 players. simply too big for what we have. That said, it's a great WCS map.
    4. gg_wmd_pulsar - Again, this map is just too big for the players we get. It's also dark and has extra shit on the sides that just makes it more of a maze. needs to go.
    5. DM_Hot_CN_v1 - another silly map that needs to go.
    6. gg_wmd_cellular - I'm pretty sure Zero already got this one as it always crashes the server.
    I agree about aim_ag_texture2 needing better spawns, and the same goes for gg_deagle5, it also spawns people up on the walkway which is usually an instant kill before they can get down.

I have to disagree about speedcastle and temple_arena. I've played it with as few as 4 people and it works fine. Even if the map is big, people will find each other based on sound. If there really are too few people then we RTV and choose something else. Same goes with speedcastle. Everyone usually converges on the center tower.

Wholeheartedly agree about dust_sun though. At least the other ones I mentioned are open-air, this is just too closed off and too big.

Yeah i guess, indeed that is terrible.

4. Default

As from tomorrow I'm going to make some maps, As i see we got a new server I will see if I can make some decent GG FFA maps, I will try to finish one before I go on vacation.

Edit need to fingure out what the fuck is wrong with sdk i the begining of the map is there, just fucking dsk is bugged.
    Last edited by Meltdown; 12-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.

1 # 1

“Language is a complicated thing! It has multiple meanings.”

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    As from tomorrow I'm going to make some maps, As i see we got a new server I will see if I can make some decent GG FFA maps, I will try to finish one before I go on vacation.

Edit need to fingure out what the fuck is wrong with sdk i the begining of the map is there, just fucking dsk is bugged.
    Are you making entirely new maps or just adding spawnpoints?
    my name a jebby

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jeb the hick View Post
    Are you making entirely new maps or just adding spawnpoints?
    Making new maps, but to say bit bussy duo christmas and new year. and trying to get sdk to work.

1 # 1

“Language is a complicated thing! It has multiple meanings.”

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    What ever happen to that Melt?? Pub has got better maps than this server. Not much action tho.