Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SSD Time?

1. Default

It's why all servers seem laggy. They all reside on the same box, so the NS2 server being naughty wreaks havoc across the board.

Zero, how many drives will you require and what's the approximate cost of each? I know what typical SSDs are running these days but have no idea what the server grade models are going for.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwtemp View Post
    It's why all servers seem laggy. They all reside on the same box, so the NS2 server being naughty wreaks havoc across the board.

Zero, how many drives will you require and what's the approximate cost of each? I know what typical SSDs are running these days but have no idea what the server grade models are going for.
    no, i'm pretty sure WCS is on a different box.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO
    The totally stupidly crazy IO load from the NS2 servers during map changes is creating some issues for all the servers on the box.
    I read this as all IBIS servers are running on one box. If they weren't, why would one's performance/resource consumption affect any of the others? Unless it was bandwidth or SAN related, and I don't think ZERO's running a SAN, it wouldn't.

4. Default

"all the servers on the box."

that just means that some of the servers share the same box. not that all the servers are on the one.

5. Default

The original question stands regardless. If WCS is on its own box, how could issues on another server possibly cause issues with the WCS server? (note that I have no idea if there are issues with WCS as I don't play WCS and am going off Ro2's complaint of lag here)

6. Default

In servers you do not buy the hardware outright (if you only paid once for the cost of the equipment this would actually save THOUSANDS of $$$) instead you are charged monthly for what types of equipment you have installed. For some equipment it is a wash b/c it would take a few years before you cover the cost of what the equipment would have cost. For other things like RAM you generally pay the cost of buying new ram every month. For other things like a CPU for example you basically pay for a new one ever year.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    In servers you do not buy the hardware outright (if you only paid once for the cost of the equipment this would actually save THOUSANDS of $$$) instead you are charged monthly for what types of equipment you have installed. For some equipment it is a wash b/c it would take a few years before you cover the cost of what the equipment would have cost. For other things like RAM you generally pay the cost of buying new ram every month. For other things like a CPU for example you basically pay for a new one ever year.
    Ah, I didn't realize you were leasing the hardware and rather than owning it and having it racked/hosted somewhere. I'm sure that's more cost effective, especially in the long run given how quickly server hardware becomes obsolete and the maintenance costs that can quickly add up. I'm actually a sys admin so I know at least a teeny bit about these types of things.

That said, would there be a dollar amount or figure you could toss out to make the SSD upgrade possible, assuming you don't have enough subs to cover it?

8. Default

I need to catch up on the accounting so I can see how the subs are trending right now as upgrades are determined from a moving average. But I think I have found some ways to cut some costs to reduce the total increase of the upgrade a bit.

9. Default

Oh swiggity swag! Let us know if you need a little extra push.

10. Default

I would be willing to give more each month but I am happy with just the reserved slot. I'm usually stoned or drunk when I play and admin probably isn't a good idea since I noob rage quite a bit.