Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CSS Freezes

1. Default

I am not good with computers at all so instructions would help out a lot.

2. Default

Sure thing.

First things first, what operating system are you on, Windows 7 or Windows XP? Second, what video card make/model do you have? If you don't know the model, I need to at least know the make.

3. Default

Thank you.

I have Windows XP and the video card is "Sapphire RADEON X800(XL)"

4. Default

this is a common issue with ati/amd video cards as they get older. Once it starts it will likely get consecutively worse over the course of a few months until it is an every time kind of issue. A temporary fix is to completely uninstall your gfx drivers and reinstall them. This will make the freezing less frequent and hopefully stop it entirely for a week or two. The only permanent solution is to replace your gfx card. I highly recommend going with a nvidia card as they tend to have less problems.

I don't know where you live but if you're near a microcenter I'd suggest perusing the clearance rack they have there as you can usually pick up a 560ti for around $80 or a 660ti for about $130 or even a lower end card (it doesn't sound like you need a 560 since you only play css and dods) for less than $40

*Source: I build, repair and upgrade computers for some extra income on the side and this is something I run into on at least a monthly basis.

5. Default

Alright, sorry for the long break in between responses, been busy the last couple of days.

First, download the latest driver from AMD for your video card. Here's a direct link to the download page (you want the 'Catalyst Software Suite,' as it's the most complete and easiest to install version of your driver available): http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...3&lang=English Save it to your desktop or somewhere you'll remember after downloading.

Next, go Start --> Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs. Find any ATI/Radeon software in this list and uninstall it.

Last step, click Start and right-click on My Computer. Click the Hardware tab at the top and then click Device Manager. Expand 'Display Adapters,' find your video card (likely the only thing listed under this subsection), right-click and the Uninstall.

Reboot. After you do so, your computer is likely going to look jacked and pop up with a 'Found New Hardware' wizard. Cancel it and run the Catalyst Software Suite we downloaded earlier. It will automatically install the drivers and detect the hardware for you. Reboot one more time and try CS:S again.
    Last edited by jwtemp; 07-13-2013 at 03:10 PM.

6. Default

No problem take your time JW. Could you provide the link again please?

7. Default

HA! I had the page pulled up and the link copied to my clipboard but failed to add it to my post. Here you go:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...3&lang=English

8. Default

Ha no problem but I did everything you said and the same thing still happens freezes once I click "find servers".

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RofLoLmao View Post
    Ha no problem but I did everything you said and the same thing still happens freezes once I click "find servers".
    I find it odd that it happens only at that point. Not doubting just thinking, from a hardware standpoint, maybe it points to network adapter rather than graphics card. I take it all your other network / internet activity works fine.

10. Default

Easy way to test that - create your own server and see if you can play by yourself. Let me know if you're able to do so. If so, jimmay may be right and you have a networking issue. If not, I'm going to lean toward your card being the culprit.