Thread: Creating an offline bhop server

1. Default Creating an offline bhop server

Greetings from Korea!

Does anyone know if it's possible to set-up a local, offline bhop server for personal use? I'm not sure if it would even be called a server. Anyway, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but I wasn't able to find any guides online on doing so. I already have the bhop maps and I know most of the cvars that my favourite bhop server uses. All I want to do is practice bhopping without having to deal with the inconveniences of an online server (lag, map changes, etc.), be able to noclip past time-consuming levels that I know I can complete, and skip to the levels I want to practice. On a long, challenging map like bhop_badges, I know I can complete the first half, but it might take me half an hour and half the day's patience to get to the second half.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be thankful!

-Greetings from Korea!
    One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

depends.....

i dont know anything about Bhop servers. Is it a mod or is it just pub style servers with special maps. If bhop is not a mod you should be able to use the create game function on CSS. If it is a mod you should start here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Edit: you should be able to "host" a locked server for yourself right off your computer on your internet connection.
    Personal reform

3. Default

Thanks Mikey, that's exactly what I wanted to do! I'd grown so accustomed to joining a game from the steam servers menu that I had forgotten a "create server" option even existed in game, haha.

Bhop isn't a mod and it can be done on any map in any server. Basically, it entails jumping right when you touch the ground (binding jump to scrollwheel makes it easier to get the timing right by spamming jump commands) and strafing in the air to accelerate (strafing left when turning left with the mouse, strafing right when turning right). That's really just about all there is to it. However, the efficacy of bhopping is usually neutered by non-bhop/surf servers by lowering cvars such as sv_airaccelerate (AA), which is the key setting that determines just how quickly you can accelerate if bhopping correctly. With a typical setting of 10 AA, even perfect bhopping would have minimal benefit over running (default run speed with knife/pistol is 250 units/sec, 260 for scout), whereas a bhop server might use 100 AA to amplify the effects of proper bhop (enabling speeds of 1000+).

It wouldn't be very interesting if bhop servers had regular maps, so they typically have specialized maps where the objective is simply to reach the end of the map by bhopping on designated platforms that are placed in such a way that the map gets progressively more difficult. Killing a wolfenstinger 10 times in a round might be the only feeling more satisfying than finally beating a difficult bhop map for the first time. If you're interested in seeing what it's all about, here's a sample vid of a pro doing a run on a map that's basically the golden standard.

If you want to become a better CS player, I highly recommend learning the basics of bhop. Not only is it fun, but it also teaches skills that can be used even on servers that restrict bhop, whether dodging bullets by rapidly changing direction in the air when knifing in WCS, speed-climbing ladders, crouch-jumping or long-jumping (prestrafe + strafe with a single drop-jump) to reach places on maps that are typically inaccessible (like the top of the giant yellow tank outside in de_nuke), or teleporting in an arc around a corner as vaga. Learning to bhop teaches you to move better, and movement is arguably the most vital part of a first-person shooter.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by i2o4 View Post
    With a typical setting of 10 AA, even perfect bhopping would have minimal benefit over running (default run speed with knife/pistol is 250 units/sec, 260 for scout)\
    That tiny little difference can mean a big thing in a real game , also it removes most of the running sound while maintaining the speed :P.

You should be able to mess with the AA and put yourself on a bhop map and get the same result as a bhop server. Or you can play it defult and master the bhop in normal AA.

Quote Originally Posted by i2o4 View Post
    Thanks Mikey, that's exactly what I wanted to do! I'd grown so accustomed to joining a game from the steam servers menu that I had forgotten a "create server" option even existed in game, haha.

Bhop isn't a mod and it can be done on any map in any server. Basically, it entails jumping right when you touch the ground (binding jump to scrollwheel makes it easier to get the timing right by spamming jump commands) and strafing in the air to accelerate (strafing left when turning left with the mouse, strafing right when turning right). That's really just about all there is to it. However, the efficacy of bhopping is usually neutered by non-bhop/surf servers by lowering cvars such as sv_airaccelerate (AA), which is the key setting that determines just how quickly you can accelerate if bhopping correctly. With a typical setting of 10 AA, even perfect bhopping would have minimal benefit over running (default run speed with knife/pistol is 250 units/sec, 260 for scout), whereas a bhop server might use 100 AA to amplify the effects of proper bhop (enabling speeds of 1000+).

It wouldn't be very interesting if bhop servers had regular maps, so they typically have specialized maps where the objective is simply to reach the end of the map by bhopping on designated platforms that are placed in such a way that the map gets progressively more difficult. Killing a wolfenstinger 10 times in a round might be the only feeling more satisfying than finally beating a difficult bhop map for the first time. If you're interested in seeing what it's all about, here's a sample vid of a pro doing a run on a map that's basically the golden standard.

If you want to become a better CS player, I highly recommend learning the basics of bhop. Not only is it fun, but it also teaches skills that can be used even on servers that restrict bhop, whether dodging bullets by rapidly changing direction in the air when knifing in WCS, speed-climbing ladders, crouch-jumping or long-jumping (prestrafe + strafe with a single drop-jump) to reach places on maps that are typically inaccessible (like the top of the giant yellow tank outside in de_nuke), or teleporting in an arc around a corner as vaga. Learning to bhop teaches you to move better, and movement is arguably the most vital part of a first-person shooter.
    \
    I am aware that the act of bhopping is not a mod, i just have never played in a Bhop server so am unaware if it was a mod or not, in regards to setting up a Bhop server.
    Personal reform

6. Default

oh my apologies! bhop servers typically have mods/plugins that do things like record times, restrict prespeeding, etc., but they're not necessary ^^

---------- Post added at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Masskid View Post
    That tiny little difference can mean a big thing in a real game , also it removes most of the running sound while maintaining the speed :P.

You should be able to mess with the AA and put yourself on a bhop map and get the same result as a bhop server. Or you can play it defult and master the bhop in normal AA.
    i always suspected you were a sadist... this just confirms it!