Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good job NASA

1. Default Good job NASA

Someone's definitely losing their job this week. Maybe we should just export our entire space program...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/0...nch/index.html

Sure the mechanics behind the separation of a rocket from one stage of the launch to another has some technical issues, but i think common sense could figure it out. It's not nearly complex as all the technical details of a rocket engine.

... At least we won't have to hear all the tree huggers yelling about their new findings that prove global warming will kill us in 20 years.

2. Default

I think we see more and more that as bureaucracy overtakes NASA it is just getting killed off. NASA is a perfect example of how increasing gov does not work out in the long run.

Pretty ironic about the sat, people that have left NASA have spoken out about how data is being manipulated or misrepresented to support global warming. Many parts of the US gov will not allow scientists to speak out against global warming without losing there jobs. A year or so ago I saw a scientist that was not allowed to use his title and position when he spoke about global warming because the state he worked for was behind it. Would be funny if it was an inside job...

3. Default >:)

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    I think we see more and more that as bureaucracy overtakes NASA it is just getting killed off. NASA is a perfect example of how increasing gov does not work out in the long run.

Pretty ironic about the sat, people that have left NASA have spoken out about how data is being manipulated or misrepresented to support global warming. Many parts of the US gov will not allow scientists to speak out against global warming without losing there jobs. A year or so ago I saw a scientist that was not allowed to use his title and position when he spoke about global warming because the state he worked for was behind it. Would be funny if it was an inside job...
    At my father's wedding, My father has a freind that works for the NOAA, and they are not allow to speak about global warming, or he will lose his job. He discuss to me and my father that global warming is pretty much a mith and that the sun has a pattern that goes through stages in it's life span that causes Warmer or colder years then others. The only proof that they have of global warming is that, the polar ice caps were melting, at an extremely slow rate, much less then what the television said. He told us that the only way for global warming would be true if it was a few decades spand that the average temperature increases by .5 degree's each year. He then talk about how the sun could be shifting in the solar system... and what not... then i stop listening. I truely believe global warming is not true, it's just a way for the government to make more money,them greedy sluts.

4. Default

As I showed from NASAs own data in another thread it (being the earths climate) is largely effected by the sun as is all current global climate events in the last forever.

Just remember what Al Gore said to a bunch of kids behind closed doors in Washington: "There are things you know, that your parents don't know; about the world. Old people have old ideas... [it may confuse you but your parents are wrong about a lot of things that you know instinctively]". Everything but the [] is exact quote word for word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Someone's definitely losing their job this week. Maybe we should just export our entire space program...
    I don't know... It's not the first time a space program has lost a rocket, and it certainly won't be the last. Accidents happen. Things don't always go as planned; Parts and systems malfunction. Unforseen events occur. It isn't always "someone's" fault. I'll wait until I read the final report before I pass judgement.

When you're sending up rockets as often as NASA is , things like this are bound to happen. No one bats 1.000.

Sure the mechanics behind the separation of a rocket from one stage of the launch to another has some technical issues, but i think common sense could figure it out. It's not nearly complex as all the technical details of a rocket engine.
    Common sense? Are you actually saying that an average person would do just as good of a job engineering a rocket stage separation as a NASA engineer? I have to disagree with you, I think that's FAR above common sense.

I don't know the details, but I'm willing to bet that designing a stage-separation is more technical and complex than designing a rocket engine. A rocket is fairly simple by design, there's not really much to it. It's all the OTHER systems that are complex (eg. navigation, guidance, and control systems, etc.) Getting those systems to do what you want them to do, when you want them to, is the real challenge.
    To fly west, my friend, is a flight we all must take for a final check.

6. Default

I meant that setting up a mechanism to separate something from the main body of the satellite shouldn't be as difficult as the the rocket and all those other systems. I fully understand the fact that problems can occur when you have so many variables and forces acting on a piece of machinery. I've had to do enough studies on that to appreciate how those malfunctions can seemingly magically occur. I guess I was just pointing out the irony of one of the less complex parts of the process causing the failure.
    The workings of a rocket are fairly simple in theory. But making one work in the real world and have it work in a precise and controllable manner is much harder.

7. Default

Well Iran had no problems with it's first and most recent launch...

8. Default

Yea, their pictures were very convincing...

I guess I was just pointing out the irony of one of the less complex parts of the process causing the failure.
    Reminds me of how the Challenger was brought down by a failed O-ring...
    To fly west, my friend, is a flight we all must take for a final check.

10. Default

The wonders of photoshop
    Attached Images