Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Map download section?

1. Default Map download section?

Could we possibly have a map download section thread? Where ZE files are too big for some players they cannot download in-game. They can possibly just pop in the website, and some patron or someone can upload for them? Of if my internet allows me, a lot of big ze maps, I will be willing to upload via a ZIP file?
    We are playing a map, and big population of players got lost because download time was too long, or couldnt not dl before restarting?

Thoughts?

2. Default

i think its a good idea few times thats happened to me and i had to ask an admin to put up a map vote cause me and a few others couldnt get into a few maps

3. Default

usually I can google the maps name and find the download from gamebanana.

4. Default

How does this happen, do you have some setting on your clients that is limiting the dl size? Are you sure that the issue is actually with the DL and not the decompression. For very slow computers the decompression can take just as long as the dl itself for example.

5. Default

Have the same problem with most of the ZE maps. It takes an unusual large amount of time to download and i haven't touched any settings except the crosshair and mouse ones on my client.
    "Intolerance and superstition has always been the domain of the more stupid amongst the common folk and, I conjecture, will never be uprooted, for they are as eternal as stupidity itself. There, where mountains tower today, one day there will be seas; there where today seas surge, will one day be deserts. But stupidity will remain stupidity."
    -
    “You surround the dead with veneration and memory, you dream of immortality, and in your myths and legends there’s always someone being resurrected, conquering death. But were your esteemed late great-grandfather really to suddenly rise from the grave and order a beer, panic would ensue.”
    -
    “A coward dies a hundred times. A brave man dies but once. But Dame Fortune favours the brave and holds the coward in contempt.'

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by swagbot 9k View Post
    usually I can google the maps name and find the download from gamebanana.
    Yeah i was quite tipsy when i wrote this thread. Didn't think much of it, even though I use this method a lot hahaha. But sometimes it's not on cssgamebanana which, a thread dedicated for uploads will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    How does this happen, do you have some setting on your clients that is limiting the dl size? Are you sure that the issue is actually with the DL and not the decompression. For very slow computers the decompression can take just as long as the dl itself for example.
    Not quite too sure about setting wise. I know I've had a problem with downloading larger maps at my work computer (as my work internet is slower than monkey balls) but ever since my upgrade in internet, i have had no problem, or rarely any issue. I just know that last night, we had a good amount of people in ze, and when we switched to ze_lotr_isengard, half the server were still trying to connect, and many were messaging me to see if I was already in, or if I could send them the map file.

7. Default

Downloaded ZE_zorrento and all ZMOD models today in matter seconds however when the server changed to ZE Skyrim then it stayed like this for around 10 minutes:

2014-05-31_00001.jpg

Same with several other ZE maps.
    Last edited by Xerenix; 05-31-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    "Intolerance and superstition has always been the domain of the more stupid amongst the common folk and, I conjecture, will never be uprooted, for they are as eternal as stupidity itself. There, where mountains tower today, one day there will be seas; there where today seas surge, will one day be deserts. But stupidity will remain stupidity."
    -
    “You surround the dead with veneration and memory, you dream of immortality, and in your myths and legends there’s always someone being resurrected, conquering death. But were your esteemed late great-grandfather really to suddenly rise from the grave and order a beer, panic would ensue.”
    -
    “A coward dies a hundred times. A brave man dies but once. But Dame Fortune favours the brave and holds the coward in contempt.'

8. Default

Yea a lot of the time it is not even dling anything it is just valve trying to fuck people. In some cases it is your computer being slow at decompressing the files (lag due to slow cpu, lack of ram or HDD). To see when it is preforming the actual decompression your cpu usage will spike for a short time when it occurs. Usually only for a few seconds. The rest of the time is then spent trying to load those now installed files from your system into memory. If your ram is full or HDD slow/not defraged or <20% free space this will take a very long time.

None of these issues are to be confused with a valve "feature" from a month or so ago where after a valve update no players could dl custom maps >64MB size. This issue was then corrected by the next valve update about 2-4 weeks later. (within seconds in valve time)

9. Default

Smaller maps are easier to download while larger maps take a good while to download. Even if you download the map(s) on GameBanana, you'll still end up having to wait a good while for the map to finish downloading. It mostly depends on your internet download speed. If it's a good connection, you'll download the map(s) relatively in 5 minutes or more.

10. Default

Any progress on this? I would love to just download all the maps, or share a download link with a friend for whom downloading maps in-game doesn't work.