Thread: General Rules

1. Default General Rules

We need a general rule list. Between various issues in recent games, we REALLY could use some expanding upon Tom's rules. For reference, here's Tom's original rules, slightly modded.

Rules:
    1.The Mod is right. Do not try and argue with them. However, they can make mistakes. If that happens, they will try and fix any mistake they may have made. If you need to continue an argument, take it to steam or PMs.

2. Do not edit/delete previous posts. Whatever you say goes into historical record.

3. Do not quote any PM's you receive from the moderator or another player. You may say your name, role, associated abilities. This is a serious offence and could earn you a mod-kill, and/or a blacklist from future games.

4. The game will not be discussed outside this thread, unless your role specifically says you can.

5. All ‘votes’ and ‘unvotes’ must be in coloured. If they are not, they will not be tallied. (I.E. Vote: Cyber). You must first unvote and then vote to change your vote from someone.

6. Lynching requires a majority of the town vote, once the majority has been reached any unvotes will not be counted. The majority is half the player's alive +1.

7. You may vote ‘no lynch’ to end the day without a death.

8&9. Include an idea of what timespan Day and Night are expected to take, or what will end a day.

10. Once your death scene has been posted, it's over for you. You can no longer post anything related to the game. Whining is alright, **Voices from beyond the grave** are alright, as long as nothing of substance is revealed. This means you can post something like "Damn you mafia!" or "Oh well. Go town!" but you cannot post and add to the discussion. This is a serious offence.

11. Be attentive and active in the game. You will be replaced if you don't post. If something prevents you to participate for a long period of time, announce it here or via PM. Help everyone's enjoyment of the game by being active and sending your actions promptly.

12. You cannot talk at night. You can do joke votes like "zzzzzz" if you want but don't let it get out of hand.

13. If you have any questions or doubts, send a private message to the mod and ask for help. It would be much worse to remain unsure about your role, mafia rules, whatever than to ask the moderator and then understand

I have removed rules 14 and on. Additional things:

14. If you have a question for a mod, ask them DIRECTLY.

15. Be wary of making assumptions about Mod's actions. If you have questions, it's best to ask them in PM or on Steam. They are not supposed to be a source of day information, but if you force them to respond, you reap what you sow.

16. Do not try to game the system. Finding special ways to pass non-verbal messages is not creative.

17. While we're a lovely bunch of people, try to keep personal attacks to a minimum.

18. Mafia is a privilege, not a right. Try to avoid getting people involved.

Also,

Are we deciding an official stance on codes? Normally, codes are a scum tactic. I still intend to make a post on this topic, but ran into some issues.

Some comments on our "official" rules:

5: It helps to say what the colour that is needed is, or colour code. If unvotes are not needed. What you do with extraneous, illegal or unclear votes. If you're going to leave illegal votes as votes after a day death, it helps to mention that, because allowing illegal votes is counter intuitive.

A note for players: if you're unsure what colour the mod used, reply with quote and just take the code from their post.

6: Decide if you want to mention if your majority is different. Other options include some forms of super majority, basing number off of available votes. There are ways to hide extra or lost votes, such as what What did.

7: Some games choose to deny the option of no-lynching.

For 8 and 9, the timespan Tom used was 2 weeks, and 2 or 3 days. Many players here like quicker games, and most like to know how much time is being given.

Please note, this list is not intended to be comprehensive. Certain things will be up to the mod if they want to reveal or not. Incleding: hidden modifiers, Open, semi-open or closed setups.
    Last edited by Blackmage; 07-14-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: it already had 2 "you"s, but it's never enough, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO
    Your aim will be somewhat impacted although testing showed this to have minimal impact on ability to kill stuff b/c you all suck at aiming anyways.

2. Default

I like this. It should automatically apply to every game unless otherwise stated in that specific game thread.

One thing I would take out Blackmage, is that the length of games being set here. I feel that should be up to each mod and allow them to be flexible throughout the game.

For rule 13 I would change "send a private message to me and ask for help" to "send a private message to the mod and ask for help" I'm assuming these rules will be here and not posted at the start of every game since all new players will have to read the rules, so we don't want people PMing you if you're not the mod.

I would say a rule for Codes as something like this:

1. Prohibited Communication
    i. requires, but is not limited to, a Third Party Resource and/or Prior knowledge and/or use of a De-cypher
    ii. for the purpose of communicating with one or more players
    iii. with the intent of hiding/concealing/obscuring/misleading
    Punishments include, but are not limited to:
    a. Publishing of all messages and their intended recipients
    b. Publishing of roles/alignments of all parties related to the incident
    c. Removal from current and future games
    d. Mod-kill of all parties related to the incident
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

3. Default

Corrected 13, thanks for catching that.

Modified the time rules. Is that similar to what you were thinking?

On the code topic, anyone else have input?
    Your aim will be somewhat impacted although testing showed this to have minimal impact on ability to kill stuff b/c you all suck at aiming anyways.

4. Default

15 needs a "you" in there.

5. Default

stickied the thread, i didn't get much reading into it because busy as fuck but there was gonna be a rule thread made anyway, so i might as well update this one progressively as time goes.

As for the decoding shit, I still stand by the fact that what "I" did personally was allowed since it was never in the rules and it was there for anyone, but in retrospect, i see why What believes it shouldn't be a habit: it can go out of hand very easily and harder to track. I was very careful in making everything available, but someone else could easily fuck up and introduce error, so might as well just all agree on not using any of that shit...

I mean shit like "Swapping the same letter in the same post with another lettter or shifting the alphabet letters by one to the left or right should be very fucking easy to read out, and it wont need a third party software, and is hosted HERE, and it doesn't offer chance of losing that info... that shit i think could be acceptable, annoying and dicklish as fuck, but acceptable.

But yeah... thank u for making the thread,

I HOPE you allow me to update it gradually over time and edit in some tweaks here and there (i'll post what's being updated each time for documentation)
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CYBER View Post

As for the decoding shit, I still stand by the fact that what "I" did personally was allowed since it was never in the rules and it was there for anyone
    Which is why we need it in the rules, because some people aren't smart enough to know when they're cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

7. Default

Since we don't actually state anywhere, are we all just going to use the Natural Action Resolution from mafia scum or what? Because, for example, Epic does recruiting and killing slightly differently. With the epic wiki gone, I don't have a list of differences from there, but any input on this?

8. Default

I'd go with the Natural Action Resolution as a standard.

4) Use admin privileges sparingly and appropriately.