View Poll Results: Would you like to play a Beginners only Mafia Game?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am a Beginner and would like to play.

9 90.00%
  • No, I am Mexican and my people need me.

1 10.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Games for New Players

1. Default

Should have at least one player as a "Mentor/Guide". Kind of the way mafiascum does it.

4) Use admin privileges sparingly and appropriately.

2. Default

Could you explain how that works Sin? I don't know that method.

- - - Updated - - -

these games will be open to anyone of beginner experience. I will be the final judge on whether someone qualifies as a beginner or a more advanced player.

So ya Phil, if Irish wants to play feel free.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

3. Default

In Mafiascum in the newbie section they have one player who acts as a "Mentor/Guide" I forget what they call them specifically, but basically they're someone who knows how to play and understands the "lingo" so-to-speak and they can guide the new players and explain what certain things mean; ie: scumtelling, dumbtelling, townread, lylo, mylo, claiming, cc, etc...

It doesn't mean they can't be mafia though, they're just more required to explain why things are happening WHILE they're happening, rather than just playing the game like everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an example of a "Mentor/Guide" type of post:

Read this, this, and/or this. They will help explain things that I might over look or not think I need to explain. If you have any questions about navigating the main page of the wiki, or anything else that happens in-game, I’d be more than happy to answer them.

Claiming: Do not claim, except in the cases of L-1 or LyLo (if you don't know what these terms mean, where are you going to find them? If you answered "the wiki", you win. What you win is irrelevant). Claiming only serves two purposes: it gives scum more information than they need to have, and it distracts town.

Please note: "Town" is an alignment. By being town-aligned, you can have one of a few roles: Cop, Doctor, Jailkeeper, Bullet Proof, or Civilian (also known as Vanilla Townie - VT - or townie). Saying that you are townie, VT, or civilian means that you are claiming a role, even if not a power role. You don't want to do this, as it can narrow the field on potential legitimate power roles, thus making it easier for the scum to pick them off.

Voting: You should do it. Do not be afraid to vote. Voting can and does create discussion. Even if you think you don't have enough evidence for a vote, feel free to lay out what you do have. More discussion helps town. Less discussion hurts town. If you still don't think you have enough for a vote, lay out your evidence and add a FoS - finger of suspicion, meaning you find the person suspicious but aren't ready to vote.

Please note: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DIE. Remember, you win if your alignment wins, NOT if you survive until the end. Yes, it sucks to get killed, but the goal is to win, not to survive.

Posting: You should do it. You should always do your best to post your thoughts as often as possible because posting generates discussion.

My suggestion: Go for posting at least once a day, if not more. Sometimes games vary in discussion levels, but the easiest way to catch scum is by getting them to talk, and the easiest way to catch those who don’t talk is by posting. The scum are not going to sit around with signs over their heads asking to be caught. You have to ask the hard questions and get them out into the open and make them mess up or say things they shouldn't. And I don't mean ask questions like, "How are you doing today?" Ask people about their motivations for doing things, or why they said things the way they did. Mafia is a game of details, and sometimes you have to be nitpicky.

Wall posts: Theoretically this helps the town because you’re getting you’re ideas out there for the town to see, read, and ultimately assess and analyze their own reads from; however, the more that’s written, the less people want to read, and the more that gets lost in translation.

My suggestion: Preview your posts to make sure only what needs to be said is said. Also, separate ideas by paragraphs, with a couple sentences each. This allows longer posts to be read with ease, and will more likely help others see all the information you/d like to say as opposed to potentially glossing over something that could be really important. Note how I’m formatting this post, though a little paragraphy as it is (also note that I don’t expect everyone to all of a sudden post this way )
    Stole that shit from a game I'm currently playing in.

4. Default

Oh so they're an actual player? I'd actually like to avoid that since newer people will tend to follow that player regardless, plus I want new players to develop they're own play style, rather than follow someone else.

For things like that I can be much more hands on during this game than a normal mod will be, explaining any definition or situation that is required.

I'm also thinking these games will have little to no flavour text to get everyone into the rhythm of actually engaging in discussion.

5. Default

Yeah a little flavor text, with some clues will go a long way though. Like the last game. Flavor text was minimal but there were still clues as to who the characters were and what their roles were that could have been utilized, but instead was overlooked by the "we are greater" crowd.

6. Default

If you need 1 experienced player, I'm more than happy to fill in for that.

As for flavor text, most newbie games do not have flavor text. This is to focus more on actual gameplay rather than interpreting text to mean something. Flavor text is more for experienced games.

7. Default

Flavour Text will be very minimal. Mainly who died and how they died, which at first won't mean much but the further we go the more and more I can add.

These games will basically be getting our newer players used to talking, as it seems like they stay silent until they're lynched in the big games. We've got to get them used to posting often and learn how to lie.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    We've got to get them used to posting often and learn how to lie.
    LOL, but I've never lied before in my life...
    Are we going to be taking a prerequisite class for learning how to lie?

9. Default

Fibbing 101

10. Default

I'd be down for this.