Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The most aswome thing you can not buy!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paper View Post
    I don't know much about future droids, but I doubt any soldier in his right mind would take this thing into a combat zone. From what I saw, the guy riding it looked like he had to give a fair bit a concentration to keep on it. So that takes away from the attention he's paying to his surroundings. Add in his overall vulnerability to... well, anything that his armor won't stop and you may as well just be on foot. Plus, when you take into account that many of the patrol casualties are caused by IED's, you have to consider how much safer it would be to stay inside an armored Humvee.
    That's why you join the air force. strap yourself inside a multi-million dollar jet and watch the action from 10,000ft. Plus you get to drop 5000lbs bombs on people's heads. use the latest surveillance video technology to watch people and you don't have to worry about someone coming around a corner and unload a full clip into your FUBAR armor.
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by inthebutt View Post
    That's why you join the air force. strap yourself inside a multi-million dollar jet and watch the action from 10,000ft. Plus you get to drop 5000lbs bombs on people's heads. use the latest surveillance video technology to watch people and you don't have to worry about someone coming around a corner and unload a full clip into your FUBAR armor.
    I know, that's what I plan on doing :P

A-10 here I come
    "An Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II flew a show of force and expended flares for emphasis over Salerno after enemy forces attacked a coalition forward base. The arrival of the aircraft prompted an immediate retreat by enemy personnel."

3. Default

I know, that's what I plan on doing :P

A-10 here I come
    I wish I had gone that route. Side note: One of my teachers was on the design team for the A-10

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I wish I had gone that route. Side note: One of my teachers was on the design team for the A-10
    That's awsome, I love that thing. The F-22 might be the sleekest, most advanced fighter we have, but I just can't get over the durability and brutal efficiency of the A-10, needless to say I was happy when they extended the planned service to 2028 with the new upgrades.
    "An Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II flew a show of force and expended flares for emphasis over Salerno after enemy forces attacked a coalition forward base. The arrival of the aircraft prompted an immediate retreat by enemy personnel."

5. Default

That's awsome, I love that thing. The F-22 might be the sleekest, most advanced fighter we have, but I just can't get over the durability and brutal efficiency of the A-10, needless to say I was happy when they extended the planned service to 2028 with the new upgrades.
    Yea, he had some funny stories about problems they had during testing. Apparently the propellant they were using in the bullets for the gun had to be changed. The gun shot so fast that the fumes exiting the barrel would cause the engines to stall.

While we're talking about military planes, this is a cool video. An israeli pilot loses a wing on his f-15 and still manages to land it

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
    Last edited by Hodgie; 04-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yea, he had some funny stories about problems they had during testing. Apparently the propellant they were using in the bullets for the gun had to be changed. The gun shot so fast that the fumes exiting the barrel would cause the engines to stall.

While we're talking about military planes, this is a cool video. An israeli pilot loses a wing on his f-15 and still manages to land it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EXtBEaBbs
    That's video is pretty nuts.
    Don't the South Koreans have the most advanced version of the Eagle now?

I remember reading something a while ago about the engine flare-outs from the GAU-8, didn't know it was a propellant change that fixed it though.

7. Default

Your both wrong. The F-14 Tomcat is what many fighter pilots want to fly. Earning your top gun wings is the great honor in the air force. The tomcat is so versatile as a mulit-role plane. Plus the 8 mavericks it carries are deadly to anything worth putting on the battlefield.
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

8. Default

something a while ago about the engine flare-outs from the GAU-8, didn't know it was a propellant change that fixed it though.
    They also added two plates to the bottom of the fuselage. They are attached to the bottom of the fuselage and point down. They channel the exhaust from the GAU-8 under the aircraft and keep it from going over the wing and into the engine.
    Attached Images

9. Default

Your both wrong. The F-14 Tomcat is what many fighter pilots want to fly. Earning your top gun wings is the great honor in the air force. The tomcat is so versatile as a mulit-role plane. Plus the 8 mavericks it carries are deadly to anything worth putting on the battlefield.
    Yea, but it was retired a few years ago. Although retiring an aircraft doesn't always mean it's no longer flown...the SR-71 was also "retired" and given to the CIA. The problem is that you can only do so many upgrades to an existing design. Our aircraft fleet (in design terms) is relatively old. F-14,F-15,F-16 are from the 70's and the F-18 is from the early 80's... I'm not saying they aren't good aircraft and that their upgrades have allowed them to remain effective, but like I said, you can only do so much with a single design.
    Last edited by Hodgie; 04-10-2009 at 08:53 PM.

10. Default

Sorry if I'm wrong about this (I haven't looked beyond UPT), but isn't Top Gun the Navy school for fighter weapons training?

In any case, I don't care much for Tomcats.