I was joking about Arms Race being better than Gungame, they really are different mods with similar premises. Gungame was created as a means of "warming up" for competitive players (same as Deathmatch) back in 1.5/1.6. It became a whole different thing in Source, and it was fun. I always preferred the small maps in GunGame (indyjones comes to mind) versus big ass ones (speedcastle), and Arms Race brings that to the forefront.

I wouldn't go as far as saying spawn points are right next to each other, they're really just directly across the map from each other and most of the Arms Race maps are symmetrical (a good thing IMO). Granted there aren't as many maps in CS:GO as there are in Source, but that number is growing as time moves on.

That being said, if you used the "Play" button to get into a quick game, then you're using the features that are unique (and good) to CS:GO that the other CS games don't have. BUT you still have the server browser or websites where you can find COMMUNITY servers to play on, just like every other CS iteration before.

There is a GunGame mod for GO and there are maps that have been recreated from Source as well. The options are there, it's up to you to find it just like you found IBIS. The Community feel is there across multitudes of CS communities, but the main focus of the game is the "Competitive Matchmaking" feature.

If you never scrimmed or pugged or played in league matches in the previous iterations of Counter-Strike, then you are seriously missing out on one of the best competitive scene out there. GO makes it SO EASY for anyone to just queue up and get right into it. Valve really has innovated here.

I even got shitty players like Mikey and Brett into the competitive side of things back in 2012/13. I'm telling you dude, fucking try it. And it's best not to solo queue, play with friends that you made in CS:S.

Every game is more fun with friends.

TL;DR play competitive matchmaking, learn the maps, learn the chokepoints, learn the angles to hold, learn spray control and burst firing, stay away from single tapping in this game though. Single-tapping is atrocious.