Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Remove the <ibis.a> Mandatory Tag Rule

1. Default Remove the <ibis.a> Mandatory Tag Rule

Wasn't the main reason to install the Group Colors plugin into the ZM Server to remove the useless <ibis.a> tag that admins must have on their in order to use commands and whatnot? Many servers don't force you to have the clan tag on when using admin commands, so why are we still behind the times? This rule should of been taken down when ZERO installed the plugin to give admins their exclusive color. GFL has this plugin and none of the admins aren't forced to have a [GFL] tag to use their powers. Why? Because that wouldn't make sense and it's unnecessary.

Because of this plugin, people would differentiate between normal users, admins, clan, and the owner of the whole clan/server(s). So why are admins still forced to to have the <ibis.a> tag on when they want to use their powers. It's counter-productive in all honesty.

2. Default

People like me are hit with abuse when I clearly helped ibis out by catching a rule breaker all because of a tag. Anyway, this post and idea will get shut down, what else is new?

3. Default

ibis.a makes everything more clear, Just... I dont see why the tag is so hard to use.
    So your chat tells people your admin, so what? people will only know your an admin if you use the type chat. Verbal or silent have no ques.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

4. Default

If an admin is to warn a player, they'd have to type or speak. So the rule breaker should know they're admin based on their in-game tag/color. If they don't believe the admin isn't truly an admin just because they're speaking, they can easily type. That simple.

5. Default

Every regulation associated with the administrative tag will have to be dismissed. Whether it is easily done or there may be changes that need to be done, is it really worth the time and effort? Why not just use the tag?
    +1 StarsMine

6. Default

Dump the tag rule and give us a choice to use a regular (non-admin) skin too. I'm sick of looking at the stupid black Umbrella Corp. skin.
    *DEAD* [SF]Rios( . Y . ) : my god u are the monster not the zombies
    *DEAD* [SF]Rios( . Y . ) : lol fu u
    ~ said shortly after being stuck in a cade and killed

7. Default

Zero, Please stop playing NS2. Come on here and change the rule, I just don't know what i'm gonna do. Its just so hard to type out 5 letters and a period.
    Please, I beg you. I don't know if I can make it through the night with this type of requirement.

Seriously, If you can change maps, kick ppl, ban ppl, or get on Sourcebans to kick admins to get seniority then I don't think its that hard just to put in ibis.a at the end of your name.
    I thought I was lazy!

8. Default

No from me. Here's a fucking wall why.

1- The ibis.a tag lets people know that you are currently ACTIVE as an admin.

I know many admins who have a paid subscription (and thus talk in red) but they just want to enjoy a friendly game or playing a quickie before heading to work without having to deal with the server at the time, and they basically chose to ignore their admin privileges in favor of a friendly game by removing their tag at the time.

that's one other usage for the ibis.a tag : Presenting yourself as an ACTIVE admin willing to handle server issues if they arise. unlike an admin currently ehm... off duty.

2- Not all admins talk in game by chat, and the last thing we want is having some admin raise hell over the fact that he was in the game with seniority and the other admin changed the map without noticing that said senior player is actually an admin in the server at the time... last thing we want is someone forced to use sm_who each time they think they are the only admin in the server.
    And then u introduce the "nah man, i dont want senior , im just here playing as a regular" from (1) , just adding even more blending confusion.

3- With so many players with IBIS tags : IBIS assholes, IBIS regular, IBIS L33t, IBIS WCS, IBIS Zmod, IBIS faggot etc, and the "lack of ibis.a" following actual admins' names in the scoreboard, it just can create confusion for new players who are taught from the first moment they join that ibis.a is admin, <ibis> in name is clan, NOT the group name.

4- This is stretching it a bit, but believe it or not, the ibis.a tag existence has helped catch many hackers before.
    Here's 3 reasons why:
    • When you make all players SELF AWARE that a player with ibis.a tag is an admin, and force it into their subconscious that they take a look at player names for such tag, it actually sometimes backfires on hackers. When hackers decide to look at the players, see NO ibis.a tag, and ASSUME that there's no admin (quiet/sneaky guy chillin in spec like yours truly ) they just ASSUME that there's no admin in the game unless they have a hack that shows who the admins in the server are, and what they are doing (which in itself is a perma ban offense). So you can actually use this to your advantange to make hackers slip up. Because if you remove the ibis.a requirement, hackers no longer have the "easy way" to know if there's an admin in the server, and will start having to constantly dig deeper each time they hack, ruining any chance of stealthy monitoring....
    • Also... having a douchebag with ibis.a in the server is a way to say : YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN ADMIN, and not just some money paying whore, so tread lightly if you chose to fuck up... just reduces the amount of shit to deal with on a daily basis just by having a tag, rather than forcing you to talk all the time...
    • Admins who HACK on other servers with the ibis.a tag in their name are subject to a perma ban offense as seen in the Benihime and Mistral clusterfuck of a case. We spent a full year trying to prove that they hacked, and the fact that benihime accidentally left his ibis.a tag on ANOTHER server while hacking (and thus made it easier for brett and i to track down the ONE AND ONLY demo of him hacking by using the ibis.a tag in multiple search engine searches.... yata yata: ibis.a tag represents ibis. And hacking under it is a perma offense, and thus helps us clean the servers even more.

5- Any admin that requires a name 23424242432432 digits long to represent themselves, causing the ibis.a tag to "take too much space" is childish at best. FFS even BladeTwinSwords ibis.a can fit, and that's gay enough. And you might as well start getting known more by a shorter handle in game and grow up.

6- Clarity vs counterproductivity. That's really all it comes down too. Sure you can tell that player is an admin when they type in chat, but take Scribble and xerenix for example, i've seen them go ENTIRE FUCKING DAYS without typing or saying a SINGLE FUCKING WORD. And yet there presence alone in the server is more than enough.

Here's an annoying scenario:
    If you remove the ibis.a requirements, new players to the server who DONT KNOW the admins by heart by force of habit, tend to be lost when trying to inform an admin of a certain player breaking the rules/hacking. You are a new player, or fuck it : you are a VETERAN player, but a new player JUST bought admin recently and has been playing on the server and using voice chat for the longest time. You simply don't know who to talk to immediately, and wondering if ur private msgs to admin are being received when trying to subtly tell them there's a hacker...
    Because no tag.

A new admin is playing quietly and enjoying a game with sceniority, another admin shows up, sees no tag, assumes he's now the senior admin. 45 minutes later all hell rises when he tries to switch the map and suddenly the first admin becomes VERY vocal about him being senior (TENDS TO BE A FUCKING HABIT WITH YOU GUYS recently...)...

7- It's been like this forever, and will probably remain the same because it's not broken. If something is broken or not working, i'm all for change and fixing it, and been vocal about such shit... but really? you're asking to change a rule that's been around for years, for... ehm... 5 letters?

tl;dr

That's a no for me... simply because having the tag forced ON has MORE merits than NOT having it on.
    Last edited by CYBER; 01-15-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

9. Default

No that is a stupid idea, you are essentially an officer of the server, put away the bad guys, give timeouts for the shit disturbers and help out the regular citizens with problems. The tag is your uniform and your badge, a symbol of your power that is unmistakable even to the blindingly stupid. Its a few letters at the end of your name that is constantly visible showing that no matter what form of communication you use, chat, voice, or even steam chat, that you are an admin and you should be listened to. Sure there may be other ways to see if a player is an admin but the tag is simple, it can be seen even in the scoreboard which makes it easy to quickly find the admins in server. Its a simple rule, 5 letters and a period, but it can go a long way for clarity.
    "To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea," Siv During Livh, a psychologist and expert

10. Default

Penis guys....

penis.