Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New motd website

1. Default

Yea a lot better than the current one. I plan to roll in dynamic motd technology so that I can recode these using a php script so that the content can be derived automatically allowing a single file instance to be used across all the servers. This will make it much easier to keep content up to date.

2. Default

I recommend compiling the website instead, to speed up traffic and to avoid 404s. Not sure how often you want to edit the content, though. I can send a simple lua file which basically replaces #{/content.html} with the content inside content.html. Also a simple include is much faster than running a entire script.
    EDIT: Whoops I just read the trello. Yes, a script to conpile the site beforehand would probably be a better option. Note that I find using #{/content.html} (ruby styled variables) looks very clean.
    Last edited by YoYoYonnY; 05-21-2015 at 03:27 AM.
    Buy admin so you can add "ibis.a" to your name. Dont worry, you wont be the first one.

3. Default

I will likely try to program the php to grab the content directly from a target post so that the rules automatically update. The idea is to not only simplify the code so it can be modified more easily but also to make it so that it will not need to be modified very often.

4. Default

Your usage of the word 'programming' confuses me. Adding <?php include 'rules.html';?> does not really seem like programming to me, and recompiling a page only when its content is updated (Using 'date of last edit' and a array of dates stored in sql) makes more sense to me either way, but of course performance wont be a big issue on a file of just around 200 bytes, so adding include (like stated before) might not be a problem.
    Buy admin so you can add "ibis.a" to your name. Dont worry, you wont be the first one.

5. Default

Okay. Reading is defenitly hard. What you want is motd.ibisgaming.com/?content=tos, something like that. I however do not see a advantage above using a compiler, because every single php line of code will slow down the page reload. Of course, this isnt very significant, but still, why not recompile after a edit? Unless you want to allow other ULAs to change the rules too, because they might not (should not) be able to run a external program. Otherwise, take a look at a simple html compiler, like mine, which allows variables: 'template.html':
    Code:
    <html>
        <head>
            <title>#{title}</title>
        </head>
        <body>
            #{content} <!-- Multiline included files will remain these left side spaces, yay layout -->
            #{/footer.html} <!-- Include file "footer.html" from template folder -->
        </body>
    </html>
    'compile.txt':
    Code:
    tos.html {
        template: url("template.html");
        title: "Terms of Service";
        content: url("tos.txt"); /* This is the files containing the terms of service, if you updated the file, just recompile the website. */
    }
    rules.html {
        title: "Rules";
        content: "Coming soon..."; /* Variables... */
    }

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by YoYoYonnY View Post
    Okay. Reading is defenitly hard. What you want is motd.ibisgaming.com/?content=tos, something like that. I however do not see a advantage above using a compiler, because every single php line of code will slow down the page reload. Of course, this isnt very significant, but still, why not recompile after a edit? Unless you want to allow other ULAs to change the rules too, because they might not (should not) be able to run a external program. Otherwise, take a look at a simple html compiler, like mine, which allows variables: 'template.html':
    Code:
    <html>

<head>
            <title>#{title}</title>
        </head>
        <body>
            #{content} <!-- Multiline included files will remain these left side spaces, yay layout -->
            #{/footer.html} <!-- Include file "footer.html" from template folder -->
        </body>
    </html>
    'compile.txt':
    Code:
    tos.html {
        title: "Terms of Service";
        content: url("tos.txt"); /* This is the files containing the terms of service, if you updated the file, just recompile the website. */
    }
    rules.html {
        title: "Rules";
        content: "Coming soon..."; /* Variables... */
    }
    Listen bruh.. You don't need to explain.. Zero is experienced enough doesn't need this.. All you need is to post what you want and he'll do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    I started a vote ban on my self to see how many people hated me they all voted yes and the server banned me.

7. Default

To be honist, I want to know what method ZERO will use to make the website dynanic. He said 'program' so I am expecting he will make something cool, but I am asking him why he would want to spend hours on something thats either builtin (<?php include('tos.txt');?>) redundant (motd.ibisgaming.com/?content=tos vs motd.ibisgaming.com/tos) or already done (Just search for a HTML compiler) I am very curious how ZERO will make the motd dynamic, and am trying to give him some new ideas.

8. Default

I said program b/c you got to program a plugin for cs:s to actually load the data into it.