4 57.14%
  • funk you.

2 28.57%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: semi-open game

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Passarelli View Post
    Flavor will be useless fluff.
    This is why the last couple games have been diarrhea. Spoon feed the setup, no room for thinking or actual game play. How about we stop trying to get the dozens of fictional new people and instead have a good, solid game for the people who actually play this stuff.
    I hit Brett right in the feels.

2. Default

That is the reason for this setup. People are relying on their roles and flavor overly much. Also, with this type of setup, flavor would give too much information out, and would likely give mafia a safe fake claim. How is matrix spoonfeeding the setup?

Also, Matrix6 IS a good solid game that is pretty well balanced and isn't supposed to have anything more than fluff as flavor.

We got 1 new person, which is more then we have had for a few months, besides the guy from Scribbles game that didn't even confirm.

If you don't want to play in this one fine, but do take your bitching elsewhere.
    What: my life skills use meat

“Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ” -Mark Twain

3. Default

What are you talking about? Have you seen the last few games. People have not used flavor at all, mods included. You are trying to feed into the idiocy that people have done. I can't remember the last game with informative flavor. You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If new people want to play, they will filter in as has always happened. Thinking that there is a group of people sitting on the sidelines because the games are just too darn complicated is insane.

4. Default

What, I don't think there is a large group of people waiting to play. There could well be another one or two however. The main reason I want to run a setup like this is because people rely way to much on their roles. It has been some time since a simple game was played here where the majority of players were VTs. I think it might help those who haven't played in many/any of this type to stop trying to get lucky based on their roles and learn how to play more skillfully.

If you want to have players spoonfed information from the mods, make your own game. This game isn't complex enough and without hard time limits, so there shouldn't be an issue if it starts while another is going on.

I'm not going to down to your whims.
    What: my life skills use meat

“Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. ” -Mark Twain

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Passarelli View Post
    What, I don't think there is a large group of people waiting to play. There could well be another one or two however. The main reason I want to run a setup like this is because people rely way to much on their roles. It has been some time since a simple game was played here where the majority of players were VTs. I think it might help those who haven't played in many/any of this type to stop trying to get lucky based on their roles and learn how to play more skillfully.

If you want to have players spoonfed information from the mods, make your own game. This game isn't complex enough and without hard time limits, so there shouldn't be an issue if it starts while another is going on.

I'm not going to down to your whims.

You're both wrong.
    While a VT game might sound simpler to you, it's the lack of spiciness to the role that will make the players playing as a VT simply doze off halfway and get bored and simply no longer use braincells...not that they were gonna use their brain in the alternative anyway. They're reliant on having a power role, yes. Not flavor.

At the same time, What's also wrong in a sense you'd think people would at least be fully reliant on flavor, but the game has been reduced to a parody of itself where logic is not used, flavor is not used, hell even powers are completely neglected for the sake of following the same exact patterns every game that end up denying any chance of gameplay reading, analysis, or noticing tells while holding your own pokerface.

These MAFIA101 bullshit habits that we're accumulated over time simply by playing with the same bunch of people makes the same illogical, nonsensical and borderline asinine.

Things like :
    - oh fuck it if he isn't active at all, it's just Scribs even if he is trying to dodge a question or wait on a lynch. He's always afk anyway.
    - oh a plan was suggested by a player that isn't Nemesis, let's just bash on it and dismiss it.
    - oh a plan was suggested by What/Pass/Blackmage, let's pin the one on the other, they'll fill up the post quota of the day without us giving away anything.
    - Welp Brett doesn't play anymore, Blackmage must be first to die.
    - oh that player's been dodging every possible question in the game and not playing with others and acting overly scummy, rulebook says to lynch him right? wrong, it's just Nemesis, i'm sure he's just doing Nemesis things. He said he'll take care of town, even if he's mafia right?
    - oh look, it's day 1 and we have absolutely nothing to go on, let's lynch Cyber.
    - oh look, it's day 1 and some nigger is playing scummy, fuck it let's still lynch Cyber.
    - oh look, Cyber was L-1 and forced to claim, he sucks at the game and said too much and might as well be a VT, let's lynch Cyber.
    - oh look, Cyber was L-1 and refused to claim, doesn't matter if he's a power role and doesn't wanna give away info, let's lynch Cyber.
    - oh look, What and Pass and Blackmage are circlejerking and argueing again, fuck it lets just afk until people start voting, and then hit a dead end, and then maybe we'll just go vote Cyber.
    - oh look, blade isn't saying much, nah screw it, he's probably a third party and will get bored on day 2 and just give up.
    - oh look, I have no fucking idea what I'm doing and i'm mentally challenged and cannot formulate my own opinion so I will just constantly follow the hype without a shred of reason to support such claim, because I'm starsmine.
    - oh look, I just didn't read anything all game, and then posted a vote with no basis and asking a question that's already been the subject of heated arguments by the totalitarian trio mentioned above for the last 17 pages because I'm zambi.
    etc...

I realize when I'm writing this that it sounds like i'm salty, oh fuck yes i'm fucking salty, but it's not about me always getting the short end of the stick. I don't mind getting the lynch boot as long as it was crucial to uncover a scum player or for town to get its win condition etc.., that's not the argument I'm going for here.

My argument is that, we have all been conditioned to these MAFIA101 "habits" and "failsafe" actions to the point where you could take out ALL sorts of scum telling or scum reading or game logic out of this damn game because people are expected to act this irrationally, whether for their own benefit or because they're with a negative IQ like stars.

Which is why people started relying overly on flavor at first (until that became the policy lynch meta) and then overly reliant on their powers, without actual discussions happening in the game.

For EXAMPLE:
    Because the scum have failsafe moves to do at any time that won't get questioned by people bceause "we got used to it", while town won't be able to differentiate between a scum player pushing for a quick lynch on a random townie, and people troll-voting a policy lynch on cyber for example.

And when Cyber's dead and gone, ZERO information got gathered because BOTH town and scum can simply use the "wtvr we were doing the usual policy lynch on Cyber, can't be blamed or FOS'd if he turned out to be a Cop. Again, no information is gathered because it was an anticipated move by both parties.

------------

T:;DR:
    What I'm trying to say is that I might as well close this section until we could find a way to spoof player names or play under different aliases so that reading an opponent or making a decision becomes more objective, and sanction-able.
    That's unless people find a way to stop following the same recipe for disaster blindly and actually start PLAYING the game for once.
    Last edited by CYBER; 01-06-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

6. Default

That's why Town of Salem exists.

7. Default

The way to fix all of that is easy, and I've suggested it before. You create 12 users and hand them out and random. They're only used to play the game and no one knows who the player is.

Of course until Cyber talks and gives it away in 4 seconds because no one else is that dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

8. Default

I like nem's idea.

Cyber I never said people would be fully reliant on flavor, merely that flavor should be a piece of the puzzle, not a void of nothingness. Besides, my main contention is that there is no reason to do a remedial beginner game for people who do not exist.

9. Default

What, I agree that flavor is good, if it's done right. The part that I have an issue with is how inconsistent it is. Naturally it will vary on 5he mod and I've seen some people who think they're being cryptic come right out and give everything away.

In theory it's a good thing, but not in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Nem, if you want to make racist jokes and shit all the time, fine.
    http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2010/07/02/nemesis/nemesis-jpg/

10. Default

I agree that it can be difficult, but there is always uncertainty in it and I certainly think its more fun than simply having an open settup.