Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Build A New Computer

1. Default Help Me Build A New Computer

This stuff is easy for you gaming geniuses, but I have to focus on graduate school and my new assistantship. All I'm looking for is recommendations from the top down. I need to know everything I should buy...hardware, software, etc. Some guidelines:

1. It must also be a functional home computer. (i.e. I gotta have Microsoft Office, etc)

2. It should be good enough to run CSS, L4D, etc...not high-end games but lately my machine is getting 50+ choke everywhere on CSS and L4D crashes my system, despite barely being over the minimum requirements.

3. (Optional) It should be pretty...I like glowing lights/LEDs.

4. I would like to make it cost under $1000. If you don't think that's possible, just say. :P

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Default

http://www.newegg.com

That's all you need, Josh.

^^

That’s the funny thing about trolls: They love to do something horrible, then accuse you of doing something horrible when you call them on it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by :||Breakneck||: View Post
    This stuff is easy for you gaming geniuses, but I have to focus on graduate school and my new assistantship. All I'm looking for is recommendations from the top down. I need to know everything I should buy...hardware, software, etc. Some guidelines:

1. It must also be a functional home computer. (i.e. I gotta have Microsoft Office, etc)

2. It should be good enough to run CSS, L4D, etc...not high-end games but lately my machine is getting 50+ choke everywhere on CSS and L4D crashes my system, despite barely being over the minimum requirements.

3. (Optional) It should be pretty...I like glowing lights/LEDs.

4. I would like to make it cost under $1000. If you don't think that's possible, just say. :P

Thanks in advance for the help.
    If you're just looking to build a 'functional' PC, why not just buy a pre-built one? Newegg has a lot of variety when it comes to pre-built systems... only psychos like myself hand pick each individual part we want inside the computer, but it's NOT necessary at all. Here's a random pc i found searching for "i7". you can just pick and choose... biggest variable tends to be the video card. Plus, if you don't know how to actually build a computer from scratch, it makes it that much easier.
    As far as software (office)... I go down the torrent route, saves me money to put towards hardware
    Last edited by I LIKE TURTLES; 07-07-2009 at 10:12 AM.

PEW PEW PEW™

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by &&toasties View Post
    http://www.newegg.com

That's all you need, Josh.

^^
    I know...but newegg doesn't help me choose which things to put in the computer. My luck, I'd buy a power source that ends up frying everything. :/

Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TURTLES View Post
    If you're just looking to build a 'functional' PC, why not just buy a pre-built one? Newegg has a lot of variety when it comes to pre-built systems... only psychos like myself hand pick each individual part we want inside the computer, but it's NOT necessary at all. Here's just a random pc i found just searching for "i7". you can just pick and choose... biggest variable tends to be the video card. Plus, if you don't know how to actually build a computer from scratch, it makes it that much easier.
    As far as software (office)... I go down the torrent route, saves me money to put towards hardware
    Can't you get more computer (i.e. a better system) by buying individually and building it yourself? I'm not simply looking for functional, but I also don't want fuxing-supa-awesome-mecha-CPU-w/-buttkicking-action.

Thanks for the quick replies Chelsea and Turtles.

5. Default

I know...but newegg doesn't help me choose which things to put in the computer. My luck, I'd buy a power source that ends up frying everything. :/

Can't you get more computer (i.e. a better system) by buying individually and building it yourself? I'm not simply looking for functional, but I also don't want fuxing-supa-awesome-mecha-CPU-w/-buttkicking-action.

True, I'm trying to build one myself.

As I've said in a previous thread, a friend is sending me his old computer, from-scratch build, and I'll just upgrade it from there.

It's annoying...but I wanna do et.

Because I want a completely-ridiculous-awesome-asskicking-shoveitinyourpiehole computer too.

But right now, with my laptop being a shithead...I'd settle for anything that will allow me to play CSS...

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS ITS NOT FAIRRRRRRRRR

;_;!!!!!!!!!

That’s the funny thing about trolls: They love to do something horrible, then accuse you of doing something horrible when you call them on it.

6. Default

Oh, and no problem, hun.

I stalk you, so I saw the thread instantlly!

A friend of mine recently built a new pc.

His budget was $1000 and for that he got a core i7 and I think an ati 4850? He also has like 6gb of ram and a nice antec 900. Plus all the other stuff he got which is very good for $1000.
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to report admin abuse
    How to find hackers

8. Default

i built my computer for a little more then 1000 a few years ago, it can run pretty much anything pretty well still.
    Here is my rig:

You could prolly get the same stuff for under 600-700 bucks now.

Live or die, make your choice.

9. Default

Sorry, I realized i didn't even include the link.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229092

It all depends break... if you can build it yourself (or have someone who will build it for you) you can def pick better parts than those that would be included in a pre-packed PC. It just saves the hassle and gives you decent parts at the same time.

PEW PEW PEW™

10. Default

Building my tower in Aug '07.

I dropped ~$3k altogether for it. Incl. hard drives, display monitor, etc.

Most parts from TigerDirect but also from local wholesale places.