Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Layout of New Site

1. Default

I like the idea however that is really not the direction I want the main page going. If you really look at that layout it is virtually the same as every phpnuke theme that like 50% of all gaming sites use. Also I do not like the idea of having the banner hidden behind stuff like that. I find the idea of putting the servers right at the top interesting and maybe that is a better place than the ones that I was thinking about, however it worries me what will happen when there are a lot of servers. In addition while I like the idea of having lots of add space I really want to make the adds blend into the page as much as possible. Therefore I would like the just have the adds on the right side and more server the user as a space of extra information that they can click on rather than a "oh look you need to click this so I get moneies!!!!1".

Also I found the topics pretty funny

2. Default

I can't really contribute any original idea's, i'd still like to contribute some possible inspiration to the more creative ppl here. I guess so far only chrismas and zero have actually contributed full layouts.
    look at this layout
    I wanted to bring this site to attention b/c of it's non-standard linear layout. The angled banner, the irregular shaped sections... and as for ads, maybe the bottom right block will be a possible location.

other than that, i think that all the submissions that we're going to get are going to be the phpnuke stuff unless you find a talented flash person. then again, people who design with flash often go overboard with the effects and animations.

oh well, i do hope this helps.

3. Default

I am just looking for any layout that you all can come up with. I am doing all the programing I just need to know where everyone wants the information. Ok how about this, can you all list the most important pieces of content that is on the home page and put it in a list from most important to least:
    Articles
    Latest Posts
    Search
    Server Status
    Steam Community Updates

By putting those in the order you want it will help me know what content is most important.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    I am just looking for any layout that you all can come up with. I am doing all the programing I just need to know where everyone wants the information. Ok how about this, can you all list the most important pieces of content that is on the home page and put it in a list from most important to least:
    Articles
    Latest Posts
    Search
    Server Status
    Steam Community Updates

By putting those in the order you want it will help me know what content is most important.
    my bad ZERO I haven't gotten around to this yet, but I can tell you I think it should be in this order:

Latest Post
    Server status
    Articles
    Search
    Steam Community Updates
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

5. Default

Server Status: People who come to the site should know where to play, and showing them how to get into the community should be first priority.
    Articles: People need to know what IBIS is all about, and seeing articles would show them how IBIS rolls. It also provides easier access for regulars who may want to know what kind of news there is.
    Steam Community Updates: Not the most important things to show on the main page, but are nice to see for those who want to get in the loop.
    Latest Posts: Another way for newcomers to see how IBIS rolls, but I do not think highlighting problems with the server or in the comminity would be beneficial, and there are few things discussed in the forums that will bring newbies in. Also most regulars know how to get to the forums by bypassing the site.
    Search: Completely useless from my experience.

6. Default

Oh btw the search is a new feature that will be released with the new site. The new site will ultimately be very content rich and thus a search was needed (powered by google).

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Oh btw the search is a new feature that will be released with the new site. The new site will ultimately be very content rich and thus a search was needed (powered by google).
    I have just never seen the need to use a feature like that.

8. Default

Server status
    Articles
    Latest Post
    Search
    Steam Community Updates

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Server Status: People who come to the site should know where to play, and showing them how to get into the community should be first priority.
    Articles: People need to know what IBIS is all about, and seeing articles would show them how IBIS rolls. It also provides easier access for regulars who may want to know what kind of news there is.
    Steam Community Updates: Not the most important things to show on the main page, but are nice to see for those who want to get in the loop.
    Latest Posts: Another way for newcomers to see how IBIS rolls, but I do not think highlighting problems with the server or in the comminity would be beneficial, and there are few things discussed in the forums that will bring newbies in. Also most regulars know how to get to the forums by bypassing the site.
    Search: Completely useless from my experience.
    I like this one.

in regards to showing new people what IBIS is all about, i still recommend an 'about' section.

also, just thought I'd bump this b/c we are getting a lot of new ppl onto the forums and I'm still passively brainstorming to help contribute.