Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: can anyone recommend some good anime?

I think it's unfair to call elfen lied shit. It wasn't really my thing, but the story really wasn't that bad either.

As for my suggestions:
    Bakmonogatari - boy meets weightless girl and the mysterious events start rolling
    (Neon Genesis) Evangelion - it ought to be seen at least once whether you like mecha or not
    FLCL - .....just watch it, I can't really explain this one and it's only 6 episodes
    Cowboy Bebop - not my favorite, but worth checking out
    Shakugan no Shana - overall one of my favorite series
    Ouran High School Host Club - technically a girls' show, but it's just so funny that it doesn't really matter
    Mushi-shi - not a lot of action, but it has good artwork and music. Set up more or less as a series of short-stories and each episode/story is pretty good story-wise
    Pandora Hearts - might be a little cliche, but I think the series still pulls it together pretty well
    The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye - if you can find it, I'd suggest checking it out. Not sure what traits to emphasize, but I thought it was pretty good
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - some like it, some don't, I do, and I highly suggest it
    Lucky Star - if you like moe, there's a good chance you'll like it, if you don't... then try another series. Based on a 4-panel manga it's random hilarity that I find quite enjoyable
    Familiar of Zero - fantasy series. English dub isn't the best, but overall it's a pretty good series.

Notes and disclaimers:
    1. My avatar is from an omake of Shakugan no Shana called Shakugan no Shana-tan. The character is "Shana-tan", a chibi version of the character Shana from the series.
    2. I watch all my anime dubbed if a dub is available, but I've also seen subs for pretty much all of them too (criticism is not appreciated)
    3. I strongly prefer happy endings, so most of the ones I suggest fall into such categories.
    4. Most anime I suggest is licensed, so keep that in mind
    5. All suggestions are my personal opinions, you are free to agree or disagree with them, but please be polite

That is all.
    Foolishness is the bane of the world.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ryujin99 View Post
    (Neon Genesis) Evangelion - it ought to be seen at least once whether you like mecha or not

3. I strongly prefer happy endings, so most of the ones I suggest fall into such categories.
    well, Evangelion i certainly agree with. Watch it once, and either fall in love with it and watch it again (i finally stopped after probably 20 viewings)

and about your #3, i'm just wondering what you'd call Evangelion's ending. Happy...or just confusing as fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

3. Default

I think it's unfair to call elfen lied shit. It wasn't really my thing, but the story really wasn't that bad either.

As for my suggestions:
    Bakmonogatari - boy meets weightless girl and the mysterious events start rolling
    FLCL - .....just watch it, I can't really explain this one and it's only 6 episodes
    Cowboy Bebop - not my favorite, but worth checking out
    Shakugan no Shana - overall one of my favorite series
    Ouran High School Host Club - technically a girls' show, but it's just so funny that it doesn't really matter
    Mushi-shi - not a lot of action, but it has good artwork and music. Set up more or less as a series of short-stories and each episode/story is pretty good story-wise
    Pandora Hearts - might be a little cliche, but I think the series still pulls it together pretty well
    The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye - if you can find it, I'd suggest checking it out. Not sure what traits to emphasize, but I thought it was pretty good
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - some like it, some don't, I do, and I highly suggest it
    Lucky Star - if you like moe, there's a good chance you'll like it, if you don't... then try another series. Based on a 4-panel manga it's random hilarity that I find quite enjoyable
    Familiar of Zero - fantasy series. English dub isn't the best, but overall it's a pretty good series.

Notes and disclaimers:
    1. My avatar is from an omake of Shakugan no Shana called Shakugan no Shana-tan. The character is "Shana-tan", a chibi version of the character Shana from the series.
    2. I watch all my anime dubbed if a dub is available, but I've also seen subs for pretty much all of them too (criticism is not appreciated)
    4. Most anime I suggest is licensed, so keep that in mind
    5. All suggestions are my personal opinions, you are free to agree or disagree with them, but please be polite

That is all.
    Familar of Zero one of my all time absolute favorites (though i agree the english dub is not all that great)

i agree with #3 as well, hence why i didn't care for the Lelouch of the Rebellion series.

i like some series dubbed (Ghost in the Shell) and others not so much, Death Note's dubs killed the atmosphere of that show, and have since not watch that series and got turned off by the series about 7 episodes in.

have yet to see Evangelion, its on my list, though i recommend RahXephon in its place, really good series.

4. Default

Evangelion must be watched subbed.

the dub blows ass
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    Evangelion must be watched subbed.

the dub blows ass
    will remember that.

well, Evangelion i certainly agree with. Watch it once, and either fall in love with it and watch it again (i finally stopped after probably 20 viewings)

and about your #3, i'm just wondering what you'd call Evangelion's ending. Happy...or just confusing as fuck?
    Well I can't really call the ending of Eva "happy"... but that's one of a few exceptions on my list to the "happy" rule as far as I can tell. When I say that I prefer happy endings over sad ones I was thinking more of series like Code Geass, Deathnote, and Cowboy Bebop whose endings I didn't really like. Overall I think all of those three are fairly good series, but they don't really suit my tastes so they're not on my favorites list.
    Foolishness is the bane of the world.

7. Default

Well I can't really call the ending of Eva "happy"... but that's one of a few exceptions on my list to the "happy" rule as far as I can tell. When I say that I prefer happy endings over sad ones I was thinking more of series like Code Geass, Deathnote, and Cowboy Bebop whose endings I didn't really like. Overall I think all of those three are fairly good series, but they don't really suit my tastes so they're not on my favorites list.
    never like DN, or code geass. the show seemed like a joke the entire time...and i can't watch a show where i don't like the main character.

8. Default

never like DN, or code geass. the show seemed like a joke the entire time...and i can't watch a show where i don't like the main character.
    yeah i couldn't get into DN, theres was too much of a disconnect between me and the main character who started out pretty cool and then turned into a total douche. Code Geass, i watched the first season and that was it, didn't like where it was going and stopped it there. i loved the cowboy bebop ending, very bitter sweet. Jin-Roh had a horrible ending but i see love the movie. but yeah i agree for the most part i prefer happy endings as opposed to sad.