Thread: Suggestion...

Default Suggestion...

Well, I see that you guys allow the users to just upload the demo file, which you do not know the contents of which could contain a virus/key logger. The way I did it when I owned servers for "Ban Requests", or even "Admin Abuse", was to have them record it with Xfire, or just straight upload it to TinyPic.com. Please take this seriously. <3

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrfly View Post
    Well, I see that you guys allow the users to just upload the demo file, which you do not know the contents of which could contain a virus/key logger. The way I did it when I owned servers for "Ban Requests", or even "Admin Abuse", was to have them record it with Xfire, or just straight upload it to TinyPic.com. Please take this seriously. <3

Is it possible to contain a virus in a .dem file? Since, from my understanding (with some programming knowledge), .dems don't contain any executable code.

Is it possible to embed code or make a call to another executable?

3. Default

Also I would not recommend downloading anything without having antivirus this website actually does have antivirus that I used every once and a while to check that everything is clean but I do not trust anything other than my personal virus scan. This goes for other websites too. In my opinion the only way to ensure safety is to have security on client side and that is up to them. Also images, videos and especially rar and zip files can be infected much easier than a demo file can.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    I would not recommend downloading anything without having antivirus
    i would hope that everyone here is smart enough to realize how much time, effort and pain this could save you if you scan any download before opening it.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by yours' truely View Post
    i would hope that everyone here is smart enough to realize how much time, effort and pain this could save you if you scan any download before opening it.
    Downloading > Fap... I'm not seeing where "scanning" fits in here.

On a for cereal note, I've never seen a demo file contain any sort of virus. I wouldn't put it passed some people though. Messed up!

4) Use admin privileges sparingly and appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Also I would not recommend downloading anything without having antivirus this website actually does have antivirus that I used every once and a while to check that everything is clean but I do not trust anything other than my personal virus scan. This goes for other websites too. In my opinion the only way to ensure safety is to have security on client side and that is up to them. Also images, videos and especially rar and zip files can be infected much easier than a demo file can.
    Yes I was meaning downloading .rar files without knowing whats in them, for the admins that dont know about these kinds of things. Thats why I suggest they launch the demo and record it with fraps/xfire and just upload it to tinypic.com

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrfly View Post
    Yes I was meaning downloading .rar files without knowing whats in them, for the admins that dont know about these kinds of things. Thats why I suggest they launch the demo and record it with fraps/xfire and just upload it to tinypic.com
    doesn't matter what's in the rar file. if there was a virus or key logger it wouldn't be activated till you actually double clicked on the item it's self. even so... key loggers are generally sssmmmaaalll in size. if you get a demo thats 10 kb, something is obviously wrong lol.