Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ZM Server Dying??

Default ZM Server Dying??

I've been hearing a lot of talk lately from admins and regulars alike that the Zombie Server is going downhill fast. Anyway, I thought I would make this thread so people could post why/why not and if this is true/false and what we can do to make changes.

My Opinion:

1. Yes it is going downhill (i don't play it much though)
    2. Why is it going downhill? Because a lot of changes are needing to be made and the changes aren't happening.
    3. I think the max amount of players allowed in the server needs to drop. There is way too much lag because there are way too much people playing I believe. Possibly just make 2 Zombie Servers instead of 1 and limit 25 players to each.

Anyway...GO GO GO!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    I've been hearing a lot of talk lately from admins and regulars alike that the Zombie Server is going downhill fast. Anyway, I thought I would make this thread so people could post why/why not and if this is true/false and what we can do to make changes.

My Opinion:

1. Yes it is going downhill (i don't play it much though)
    2. Why is it going downhill? Because a lot of changes are needing to be made and the changes aren't happening.
    3. I think the max amount of players allowed in the server needs to drop. There is way too much lag because there are way too much people playing I believe. Possibly just make 2 Zombie Servers instead of 1 and limit 25 players to each.

Anyway...GO GO GO!
    1. it is not going downhill, according to...?
    2. Not alot, but a few. Music, new maps, get rid of bad maps, an appropriate rank system.
    3. should be reduced to 34/35. 2 seperate servers is un-needed. A new server should be something as in surf, deathmatch, snk. not a second zm server.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVL_Ripper View Post

Oh and let your mom know I did receive the invitation she sent for your party at Chuck E Cheese tomorrow.

3. Default

there is going to be a lot of updates coming the week after next. school ends on like the 16th.

4. Default

[walloftext]

As far as I know only the very old regulars are complaining a lot about how the server is going down hill. From my experience over the last couple months there have been a consistent number of idiots who break cades, blow bridges before they should, and in general act like douches. They are dealt with easily enough, however.

As far as the server itself goes (playability, etc) I don't notice lag unless someone with overly high ping connects. The server doesn't kick them immediately, and it causes the server to lag briefly. Sometimes there is lag if the server hasn't been restarted in a while (starting around two or three hours before the normal reset time at ~6:00am EST) but other than that the server never really lags too much for me. The only real issue I have is with the change to the higher tickrate. Cades seem to fly apart much more readily than they used to, making certain spots on some maps (like roy the ship) much less viable for cading. However, I've just moved to different spots. The bad thing is when it comes to maps with fewer good spots. Good spots often get crowded. Then again, this happens to some extent on every map.

I can see that map choice is generally limited to a few maps that may be overplayed, but still are fun to play on especially considering the amount of new players. Beach Strike, Desert Fortress, and lila panic are maps that come up quite often. This is to some extent because they are well made and fun maps to cade on, but mainly because there are a lot of maps that suck in the admin map choice list. A few of my favorite maps that are relatively underplayed (at least during my peak hours of play) are places like church of mint and roy the ship. I realize it may be difficult to accomplish but we've got one map designed for us -- maybe we can request more maps from some of the more popular map makers? Fresh maps would be amazing to play on seeing as it would put the veterans and the novices on a more level field as well as spice up the player experience.

So to answer your questions:

1) No, it's not going downhill.
    2) Changes won't happen instantly, I don't know many people that have the time or the motivation to put that much effort into a server constantly for very long. Also, you can't please everyone; regulars are great to have but you also have to ensure new players will continue to show up and play. You also want to ensure that new players will turn into regulars. This is generally accomplished by improving game play. In the world of games you do this by trying new things. Sometimes those changes are great and other times not so. In turn, listening to the older players is always a must. Doing everything they say, however, is not.
    3) I could support a drop from the current limit of players down to 34. I don't think it would change much in terms of latency, honestly, but some maps are simply awful with 40+ players running around. I'll admit that on some maps it is really fun being one of the few left alive and being surrounded by 30-40 zombies trying to kill you. However, I almost guarantee that if there are 30-40 zombies someone threw a fail nade and broke the cade that 20 of them were in. The tick rate could be tampered with a bit more to find a happy spot. I'm generally cool with where it is now but seeing it lower again to compare would be great.

[/walloftext]

5. Default

yes it has gone down hill and hit a boulder

(See every post/thread I've made in the past 3 months to see why.)

its gotten too big for its own good and none of these maps were designed around multiple Z classes and this amount of people.
    the entire zmod needs to be refitted and properly rebalanced and at this rate thats never going to happen.

just lightly tweaking it and removing a few maps like your planning Zero won't do anything
    Last edited by Kavinsky; 11-22-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Edit: Valve AND Zero would find a way to screw up a steel ball.

I have never seen any other server that used to be so much fun to play on just get so properly rammed into the ground by one person's lazyness, incompetence and inability to grasp how to properly run a server.

6. Default

do you guys wanna know why this is happening??

cause all you fucking idiots where complaining about me instant banning people for a week with no warnings. well you guys got your wish I canceled my admin and decided to see if the current batch of admins could do better.

obviously the current admins are not doing a very good job if the past weeks have been constant cade breaking, blowing up of bridges while humans are still on it, zteleing and mic spamming.

you guys wanted to be nice and play fair with idiots and now look at where the ZM server is. its full of little kids and idiots playing now.

also on a side not ZM is not going anywhere, its still ranked in the top 10 of all ZM servers on CS:S. just cause you don't see people in there now doesn't mean its dying. ZERO is right alot of people are busy with school right now, finals are about 3 weeks away is what I'm hearing.

instead of complaining that the ZM server is dying or what not do something about it. enforce the rules more heavily cause its been way to chill in there. strict admins are better admins than those who rather sit there and warn people.
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

7. Default

I never made any mention of there being people cade breaking and blowing bridges, etc CONSTANTLY. They are both rare occurrences. Normally all it takes is freezing the player and explaining to them what they did or a short-term ban to make an example of someone who blows a bridge on purpose too early. Then the rest of the night is usually pretty quiet.

Besides, I don't know many (if ANY) players who break the rules on purpose. Most are just trying to play the game and end up making a mistake because they don't know any better.

Current admins are doing just fine, as far as I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by inthebutt View Post
    do you guys wanna know why this is happening??

cause all you fucking idiots where complaining about me instant banning people for a week with no warnings. well you guys got your wish I canceled my admin and decided to see if the current batch of admins could do better.

obviously the current admins are not doing a very good job if the past weeks have been constant cade breaking, blowing up of bridges while humans are still on it, zteleing and mic spamming.

you guys wanted to be nice and play fair with idiots and now look at where the ZM server is. its full of little kids and idiots playing now.

also on a side not ZM is not going anywhere, its still ranked in the top 10 of all ZM servers on CS:S. just cause you don't see people in there now doesn't mean its dying. ZERO is right alot of people are busy with school right now, finals are about 3 weeks away is what I'm hearing.

instead of complaining that the ZM server is dying or what not do something about it. enforce the rules more heavily cause its been way to chill in there. strict admins are better admins than those who rather sit there and warn people.

I would do something about it but ZM is FAILLLLL. :-) hahahaha.

I'll probably start playing it again once Zero initiates the changes in 2 weeks. So far i've only heard good things about these "changes".

:-)

9. Default

ZM isn't fail, and it isn't failing. Zero is improving it, apart from the lag.. Although it's slow to some of you, that isn't any reason not to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS View Post
    I never made any mention of there being people cade breaking and blowing bridges, etc CONSTANTLY.
    You should have been on the other day..

The only real problem in ZM is the idiots. I went in the other day and had my barricade broken every single round I played, and there wasn't a single thing I could do due apart from explaining what not to do and how to do things properly.. Although that is all in vain.. (New maps wouldn't be bad either, but I can't find any good ones..)

Around New Years I'll probably be getting admin again, and I'll finally be able to start helping out with the cade breakers, mic spammers, and what not again.

As for regulars moving on, people come and go, but the memories last a lifetime. New hopeful regulars are starting to appear, and soon the next prodigy if there be one in my time. Though I don't plan on going anywhere.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS View Post
    I never made any mention of there being people cade breaking and blowing bridges, etc CONSTANTLY. They are both rare occurrences. Normally all it takes is freezing the player and explaining to them what they did or a short-term ban to make an example of someone who blows a bridge on purpose too early. Then the rest of the night is usually pretty quiet.

Besides, I don't know many (if ANY) players who break the rules on purpose. Most are just trying to play the game and end up making a mistake because they don't know any better.

Current admins are doing just fine, as far as I've seen.
    bears are you a fucking blind moron??

everyday people still complain to me about why I don't buy my admin back and come deal with cade breakers and people who ZTELE.

it is constant and either it doesn't happen to you or you just don't see it or hear about it. but it is happening on a daily basis.

I've stopped playing for about 2 months now and its gonna stay that way until the admins in ZM shape up and become more strict and less lenient to rule breakers
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-