Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall STEAM Fail

East Coast (and that's all I'm tellin' xD)

Default Uninstall STEAM Fail

How Chef Screwed Himself Over

You know those moments when you look back on something and go "Shiiiit.... I shouldn't have done that..."

So about a week ago after getting my ass handed to me on a fucking silver platter in WCS (or business as usual some would say), I came to the conclusion that CS:S was no longer worth my time. Now granted, this was something like midnight/1am, I was blazed, it was just not the best time to be making any decisions whatsoever. However, I decided to press on and proceeded to uninstall CS:S, CS:GO, and finally STEAM just to curb my incessant gaming and lack of productive schoolwork.

I got about 18 hours before I said to myself "WHAT THE F^(% WERE YOU THIKING?!", fruitlessly searching my desktop for the CS:S quick-launch button that had become a reflex to hit after waking my laptop from sleep. As STEAM downloaded/installed itself and prompted me for my username, the feeling hit me, like my stomach had phased through my body, chair, and was now resting somewhere on the floor. Yes... I hadn't put in my login for so long due to having it saved, that not only did I not know my password, but I didn't know the email I had setup my account with.

A little background on myself, I don't typically keep the same stuff for very long. I'll use a couple dozen passwords with no real connection to one another, and usually put them partly or entirely in a different language (ex: Japanese, French, 1337, etc.). In addition, I have about 6-8 different emails because rather than deleting old emails/junk mail, I get to about 2k when I am like "Ok, new email time!" ...Yeah, not the best way of organizing things haha.

To sum up, I am now waiting to hear back from STEAM support to see if the information I gave them (STEAMID, most likely email used (which I can't get access to...), etc) will allow me to get my account with several hundred hours of gameplay on WCS and ZMOD back.

Suggested Morals:
    - Don't save passwords (input them everyday so they become muscle memory like windows login)
    - Don't uninstall STEAM... EVER (seriously, this is not a logical thing to do, as I mentioned I was not in my right state of mind haha)
    - Keep a gaming email account (just games)

I'd like to thank you for humoring my rant if you even skimmed through a sentence (hopefully you didn't read the whole thing because it's mostly nonsense )

P.S. If anyone has recommendations on how to remedy this situation, that'd be helpful XD, MUCH APPRECIATED!

P.S.S. I may be playing level 10 human for the upcoming WCS Scrim... Sorry potential teammates >.<
    Last edited by Chef C Green; 10-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Artist's Representation - "Finding life on the go board"

2. Default

I don't know you... seen you in game but I don't think we've really talked or anything...
    but my two cents: take a break from gaming every once in a while and go for a walk.
    It lessens your stress quite a bit. I did the same thing a while back. Luckily, I didn't
    lose tons of hours of wcs gameplay, but I did take walks and give my other hobbies
    some much needed attention and I felt tons better.
    ======================
    It's my stomach.... I'm hungry!
    ======================

This post would have made much more sense if you were Cyber and you would have also crushed your computer yelling "ME SMASH. ME ANGRY. ME KILL YOU, EVIL HUMAN IN COMPUTER." I will say that it was a fairly entertaining read, tho. But yeah, I agree with Goku here - you do need a break every now and then as the games can get annoying and getting some relaxation from them can be something that you need badly, yet do not realize that.
    The Complete WCS Guide
    (Click on it)

"They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard."
    Our subject isn't cool, but he thinks it anyway - he may not have a clue, and he may not have style, but everything he lacks, well, he makes up in denial!
    Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

4. Default

Step 1: Buy a spiral notebook or something similar.
    Step 2: When creating a new account, write the account information down in the notebook.
    Step 3: Keep the notebook next to your computer.

@Tom: I fail to follow the "this post would have made much more sense if.." part. It would be a completely different post if Cyber had written it.

East Coast (and that's all I'm tellin' xD)

@ Tom+Goku, it's not so much more relaxation I need, but rather focus haha. It's all good and fun to get back from class and chill online or head out for a ride but it gets nothing done >.<. I agree the break would be good though, focus some of that time on Org. Chem or Microbiology. If I need relaxation, that's why god gave us the ability to sleep... and opposable thumbs to strike a lighter

Quote Originally Posted by SCRIBBLE View Post
    Step 2: When creating a new account, write the account information down in the notebook.
    Logical/rational... yes, crafty/paranoid... not so much
    Artist's Representation - "Finding life on the go board"

Quote Originally Posted by SCRIBBLE View Post

@Tom: I fail to follow the "this post would have made much more sense if.." part. It would be a completely different post if Cyber had written it.
    I probably should have added "IF it would also have been incoherent and with horrible grammar" to make my point?
    The Complete WCS Guide
    (Click on it)

"They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard."
    Our subject isn't cool, but he thinks it anyway - he may not have a clue, and he may not have style, but everything he lacks, well, he makes up in denial!
    Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

7. Default

Valve is a bitch, if u dont have proof that u bought the game or anything else valve wont do shit. I had it happend to my old account and after 2 years of argue and proofing it was mine i got acces to it, by that time i already got the acount i got now. But i must admit having a second acount is fucking handy when u got to monitor stuff on the servers.

1 # 1

“Language is a complicated thing! It has multiple meanings.”

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    But i must admit having a second acount is fucking handy when u got to monitor stuff on the servers.
    or you could just change your name.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    or you could just change your name.
    To easy....and chef don't ever ...ever.....ever ever ever ever...write that shit down. That is a HUGE security no no. Just saying.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    To easy....and chef don't ever ...ever.....ever ever ever ever...write that shit down. That is a HUGE security no no. Just saying.
    seriously if someone walks into your house and bypasses all your jewelry and somehow finds out your steam username and steals your password from your desk, you're so fucked!

Through the darkness of futures past,
    The magician longs to see
    One chants out between two worlds:
    Fire, walk with me.