Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Admin Only Section

cool story bro.

Anyway...answering that statement in general: community members can still post their opinion on things on the forum, but in the end it needs to be decided by the admins/clan members. There are multiple positive ideas and outcomes that this "admin only" section can bring, and I will just leave it at that. I am sure more admins will chime in somewhere down the road.
    ZOMBIE [ibis.a]

I, too, think this is a good, solid idea. It looks bad on the community as a whole when there is constant bickering between the people who have some sort of power within the server and the forums. Yeah, the regulars should be involved, but not with everything. when it comes to issues that they should be involved in, then the topic can be discussed within the public forums. But when not, it would be discussed within the admin private forum.

I see where Christmas is coming from, and I disagree. Yes, we all know Zero is a busy guy, but this idea would most definitely, in my opinion, relieve some stress off of him. every time he logs into the forums, he wouldn't see all this negative and public flaming, He wouldn't have to answer a bunch of PM's about how "omg he did this to me and my balls are hurt now!!!!!!!1111oneone" and he wouldn't have to sift through a bunch of threads to see if anyone, admin wise, has done anything wrong.

Because we all know not every one knows the forums and will post admin abuse in the Videos thread.

In short, let's not instantly shoot this idea down just because we THINK it's not going to work. it's not fair to say that when we haven't even tried.
    Deprodigy Approves This Message!

(delete and be banned)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

"It’s easier to seek forgiveness than ask for permission."
    - Proverb

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

"Become who you are."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

"There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."
    -Dennis Waitley

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    There was no drama. I expressed why I really did not agree with this idea. It is not necessary and ZERO has enough to work on. Regulars SHOULD be involved in all discussions on the rules because a lot of regulars know more than a lot of the admins who are on right now.

Why stifle the regulars from having input on what goes on in the community just because they don't/can't pony up the money to be an admin?

The best benefit to the community would be allow all players a say and this asks for the exact opposite. There is no drama in any of those statements.

And do I like to argue? I like to DISCUSS ISSUES and if that comes off as argumentative then I am sorry. I am not going to stop discussing server issues (whether I agree with someone or not) because the community needs as much input as humanly possible for it to function to its highest potential.
    I agree with Christmas.

4. Default

Why stifle the regulars from having input on what goes on in the community just because they don't/can't pony up the money to be an admin?

The best benefit to the community would be allow all players a say and this asks for the exact opposite. There is no drama in any of those statements.

And do I like to argue? I like to DISCUSS ISSUES and if that comes off as argumentative then I am sorry. I am not going to stop discussing server issues (whether I agree with someone or not) because the community needs as much input as humanly possible for it to function to its highest potential.
    Then why have a clan-only section of the forum? Why not expand the clan to include the entire community? Why stifle the regulars from having input on what goes on in the community just because they can't seem to win favor with the clan? Obviously a sarcastic point, but a valid one in my opinion: admins are different than the larger community in a similar manner to IBIS clan members are different than the larger community.

Besides, the central idea that I support would have an admin forums as primarily a resource guide for admins; beyond this we could have a place for discussing server policy (as well as forming server-specific policies) before bringing them to the people as a whole. It's not as though the larger community wouldn't have a place in decision making, and in fact they would have a better understanding of the idea initially if it could be more finalized before viewing.

For instance, the list of restricted spots on ZMod would have avoided a lot of grief and potentially implemented faster (at the time of this writing it hasn't yet been implemented) if it could have just been posted in the admin forums, a list be developed then posted in the discussion forums for input from regulars for a time, a final edit put into place then put into action. A lot of admins are some of the more active regulars on each server, it's not as though decision making would be hampered to some massive degree. It would be streamlined as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah. I'm an admin. What of it?

Very good points bears. Also...NYS, you say you agree with Christmas? Then this kinda relates to what bears said, "why have a clan only section"?? Pretty hypocritical IMO. Admins are a huge part of this community and what make this community continue to grow.
    ZOMBIE [ibis.a]

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS View Post
    Then why have a clan-only section of the forum? Why not expand the clan to include the entire community? Why stifle the regulars from having input on what goes on in the community just because they can't seem to win favor with the clan? Obviously a sarcastic point, but a valid one in my opinion: admins are different than the larger community in a similar manner to IBIS clan members are different than the larger community.
    Admins were not selected to become admins. Clan members have much more responsibility because they have proven in spades that they can handle the responsibility and are the best members of the community. They also have moderation status, which means they should have their own private area to deal with affairs in the forum. All discussion boards have that.

You are asking for more responsibility for admins who gained that title with their wallets. They are not at the same level as clan members.

Besides, the central idea that I support would have an admin forums as primarily a resource guide for admins; beyond this we could have a place for discussing server policy (as well as forming server-specific policies) before bringing them to the people as a whole. It's not as though the larger community wouldn't have a place in decision making, and in fact they would have a better understanding of the idea initially if it could be more finalized before viewing.
    For starters, if ZERO wants to make a resource guide he should write one up and sticky it. Admins only need to view that guide and the need for discussion on those issues would be non-existent. "How do I do this? Oh wait there is a nice little guide stickied at the top of the sub-forum for me to look at!"

Also regulars bring up server policy as well, and should be privy to the discussion because, like I said, admins aren't automatically better at discussing the rules than the regulars are. There is no need to have two separate forums for these kinds of discussions and if there are people discussing new rules I want to know.

For instance, the list of restricted spots on ZMod would have avoided a lot of grief and potentially implemented faster (at the time of this writing it hasn't yet been implemented) if it could have just been posted in the admin forums, a list be developed then posted in the discussion forums for input from regulars for a time, a final edit put into place then put into action. A lot of admins are some of the more active regulars on each server, it's not as though decision making would be hampered to some massive degree. It would be streamlined as far as I'm concerned.
    Once again, regulars should have input, because I know Kavinsky is a long time regular who does not own admin and should be allowed to discuss the issue.

There is no reason to believe that the list for that would be implemented faster if FEWER people are putting up their input. Is that better for the community? Less people giving their input?

Collaboration causes things to move faster, and with a separate private forum for just the servers it hampers it.

7. Default

Admins were not selected to become admins. Clan members have much more responsibility because they have proven in spades that they can handle the responsibility and are the best members of the community. They also have moderation status, which means they should have their own private area to deal with affairs in the forum. All discussion boards have that.

You are asking for more responsibility for admins who gained that title with their wallets. They are not at the same level as clan members.
    There are plans for a screening process for admins being put into place. Besides this, being an admin may be by paying money, sure, but in order to keep the tag, you must prove that you can handle the responsibility. Zero can revoke your admin privledges just as fast as you got them if you prove to be inept and unable to enforce server policy effectively. What about immature clan members? What about moderators who censor anything even remotely degredating to the clan? There are abuses in both camps that go unpunished, sure, but my point is that to infer that admins don't have any responsibilities in this community is a fallacy.

There are admins who are just as respected as some of the clan members on the servers. Sometimes there are admins who are more respected on the servers, they carry a responsibility to each player in the community. In fact, good admins bring in regulars faster than good clan members do. Beyond this, good admins being in new admins and monetary support for the community than good clan members do. We're much more visible.

For starters, if ZERO wants to make a resource guide he should write one up and sticky it. Admins only need to view that guide and the need for discussion on those issues would be non-existent. "How do I do this? Oh wait there is a nice little guide stickied at the top of the sub-forum for me to look at!"
    This is easily done by providing a separate dedicated resource for admins. There's no need for the community to see what commands admins have access to, nor do they need to see examples of hacks and the like. These are things that admins are supposed to be watching out for constantly, I think if anything a dedicated forums would provide a better experience for the player if admins had ready access to this sort of information. I also think that there is no harm in creating a separate forum to provide this to admins in order to prevent cluttering up public forums with threads that the larger community has no interest in as a whole.

Also regulars bring up server policy as well, and should be privy to the discussion because, like I said, admins aren't automatically better at discussing the rules than the regulars are. There is no need to have two separate forums for these kinds of discussions and if there are people discussing new rules I want to know.

Once again, regulars should have input, because I know Kavinsky is a long time regular who does not own admin and should be allowed to discuss the issue.

There is no reason to believe that the list for that would be implemented faster if FEWER people are putting up their input. Is that better for the community? Less people giving their input?

Collaboration causes things to move faster, and with a separate private forum for just the servers it hampers it.
    You don't seem to understand my idea of what the admin forum would provide to the community. We wouldn't be secretly creating policies and creating a new world order, we would be coming up with ideas and fleshing them out and solidifying them a bit before bringing them to the public forum for final discussion. Beyond this, moderators would always have the option of moving any discussion to a public thread. What creating a separate private forum would do for admins is provide a place where newer admins could ask questions, experienced admins could answer them, and new rules could be discussed before being brought to the larger community. That's it.

It really doesn't sound to me as though it would hamper the community from taking part in decision making.
    Yeah. I'm an admin. What of it?

8. Default

There are plans for a screening process for admins being put into place. Besides this, being an admin may be by paying money, sure, but in order to keep the tag, you must prove that you can handle the responsibility. Zero can revoke your admin privledges just as fast as you got them if you prove to be inept and unable to enforce server policy effectively. What about immature clan members? What about moderators who censor anything even remotely degredating to the clan? There are abuses in both camps that go unpunished, sure, but my point is that to infer that admins don't have any responsibilities in this community is a fallacy.
    I never said that admins have NO responsibility. However they should not be given their own forum just because the clan members have them. Clan members are long-time regulars who have been voted to be the best of their peers. Admins are players who could have either just started playing in the IBIS servers or been here for years. They don't automatically provide more than the regulars just because they have admin status.

There are admins who are just as respected as some of the clan members on the servers. Sometimes there are admins who are more respected on the servers, they carry a responsibility to each player in the community. In fact, good admins bring in regulars faster than good clan members do. Beyond this, good admins being in new admins and monetary support for the community than good clan members do. We're much more visible.
    There is no basis for this statement. Nothing to back it up.

This is easily done by providing a separate dedicated resource for admins. There's no need for the community to see what commands admins have access to, nor do they need to see examples of hacks and the like. These are things that admins are supposed to be watching out for constantly, I think if anything a dedicated forums would provide a better experience for the player if admins had ready access to this sort of information. I also think that there is no harm in creating a separate forum to provide this to admins in order to prevent cluttering up public forums with threads that the larger community has no interest in as a whole.
    They can have ready access to this information if it is posted as a sticky. And this should be listed on the main site anyway.

You don't seem to understand my idea of what the admin forum would provide to the community. We wouldn't be secretly creating policies and creating a new world order, we would be coming up with ideas and fleshing them out and solidifying them a bit before bringing them to the public forum for final discussion. Beyond this, moderators would always have the option of moving any discussion to a public thread. What creating a separate private forum would do for admins is provide a place where newer admins could ask questions, experienced admins could answer them, and new rules could be discussed before being brought to the larger community. That's it.

It really doesn't sound to me as though it would hamper the community from taking part in decision making.
    Regulars should be able to comment on any idea. They could provide an input than none of the admins are aware of which could be the only reason an idea takes off as a legitimate one. None of these "positives" you mentioned can only be done with a private section for admins. They can all be done publicly and should be.

Newer admins can also ask questions in the ADMIN HELP section. There doesn't need to be a private forum for them to ask questions. Once again REGULARS should be able to discuss any issue no matter if it is a new one or old one. They have as many good opinions as admins do.

9. Default

No. There is a section in the forums called "Admin Help" and not once have I seen many people use the forum to their advantage. Perhaps if you want to take admin seriously, post in that specific section before suggesting more empty areas.

Comparing that "well the clan has an area why can't we see it" section is so terrible. If you were ever part of a clan or a guild, there were somethings that you wanted to talk about concerning other members behaviors, or server issues that the clan would talk about. They are the clan and they make decisions that affect the community. I swear some people don't grasp the clan/community concept and think they are free to do whatever they want. Unfortunately communities come with their own base rules.

Create a freakin' steam community if you think the "communication" is that terrible.

มวยไทย
    Got a blister? Ibuprofen. Can't feel from your waist down? Ibuprofen. Got a spider bite? Ibuprofen. - SPC S-Rod & Me

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by loka View Post
    No. There is a section in the forums called "Admin Help" and not once have I seen many people use the forum to their advantage. Perhaps if you want to take admin seriously, post in that specific section before suggesting more empty areas.
    The admin help section seems to be the best place to go for people to post asking for admin help, or admins posting about their issues with admin powers. Not for admins to find useful information. If it's intended to be used one way or the other, I'd like see a mod say so, instead of taking your interpretation as the absolutely correct one.

(I only see one useful admin thread on there, Zero's stickied "how to restart the server" topic.)