Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Admin Only Section

Default Admin Only Section

So I had an idea and was wondering if it could be made possible:

An Admin only section on the forums (clan members can come in to of course). An area where we can discuss topics, problems and present solutions to any issues that might be present at the time. Also, it can be an area where problem admins can be "spoken" to, to avoid massive flame wars and drama on the forums. I am going to update this post with peoples ideas so no one has to scroll through multiple posts:

OMGbears ideas: an admin forums would be a nice addition and a welcomed thing for discussing server rules and such before bringing something final to the community as a whole. Beyond this, we are essentially share holders in this server, and incidentally the community. Whereas the clan members provide the leadership within the community, admins provide a financial base without which the community would dissolve. This is not to mention we likewise provide a very important leadership role within the community as well. In many cases admins are better known than some of the IBIS members on the various servers from which a lot of the community comes from. Do we deserve something out of the way of the community as a whole? I would wager a yes; not a dividend from our contribution to the server but the ability to propose, discuss, and update server-side policy then bring it to the community as a whole as a more finished version. In addition, we could have a spot where console command lists for the server, examples on demoing hackers, simple guides for new admins (what not to do, etc), and in general anything else that really has nothing to do with the community and tends to clutter the boards as is.

Fireyes ideas: I like the idea of an admin only section. It really isn't appropriate to post in the admin help forum asking how to run a specific admin comand. Could also be used to note persons of interest, wrt hacking or suspected rule violations. The only downside, in my view, is that it segments some discussions away from the regular members.

Acolyte ideas: also, some way of differentiating admins from community on the forums as well. i know clanners have rank IBIS, but if you don't know the admins from in game you don't know who is one.

Bumpkins ideas: I, too, think this is a good, solid idea. It looks bad on the community as a whole when there is constant bickering between the people who have some sort of power within the server and the forums. Yeah, the regulars should be involved, but not with everything. when it comes to issues that they should be involved in, then the topic can be discussed within the public forums. But when not, it would be discussed within the admin private forum.

Anyway...post your opinions on this and hopefully if we get enough people that want it, ZERO will make it happen. If you don't like the idea, please keep your opinions to yourself. I would like to keep this thread positive.
    Last edited by Tragedy; 01-26-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    ZOMBIE [ibis.a]

I like this idea, very much so!
    Go find a white crayon, color a zebra, and stay out of my house NOOBS!

3. Default

yeah. that'd be a great idea. also, some way of differentiating admins from community on the forums as well.

i know clanners have rank IBIS, but if you don't know the admins from in game you don't know who is one
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

very good idea, i am going to edit my post.
    ZOMBIE [ibis.a]

5. Default

well, vBulliton should have a way to change the displaycolor for member's names depending on their rank. you could make admins a darker shade than others...of course you'd need to give them a seperate rank then too
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

6. Default

I don't see what good this will do.

When it comes to issues with the server, ALL members should have access to the discussions. This wouldn't make the servers any better and it would be one more thing for ZERO to work on despite the fact he has a lot on his plate already.

I strongly disapprove.

I've made plenty of my own websites and forums and it isn't a burden to create new a section and limit it to a certain group of people (aka admins and clan members).

Unlike most in this community, I dislike the drama and I think this would be a great way to get rid of a bit of it instead of just "oops I deleted your thread/post teehee" and then that person makes another thread and is more pissed.

Having an admin only section will also keep admin bashing away from the public for the most part. Because when an admin does something wrong, they have like 10+ different people bashing on them including admins and regular community members alike. This is then followed with the admin getting defensive and 5+ pages of flame wars, abuse (in my eyes) and humiliation. This could all be avoided with an admin section.

Clan members aren't allowed to publicly abuse/flame each other...so why should admins? That's stupid. This would also provide space for them to sort out their debate away from the public eye.

Christmas, if you don't like the idea of this, just keep your opinions to yourself. Strongly disagree? Would it harm you having one? No. Stop being so bleak.
    ZOMBIE [ibis.a]

8. Default

I believe this has been brought up before and it never went anywhere.

christmas is right too by the way.

what I used to do was make a massive steam chat with every admin in ZM and we talked it out that way. it was alot quicker too, instead of posting and waiting for someone else to post.

try the steam way first and see if you like it or not.
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

thx for the opinion but I'd like to hear others ideas/opinions regarding this before we all settle for less.
    ZOMBIE [ibis.a]

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    I've made plenty of my own websites and forums and it isn't a burden to create new a section and limit it to a certain group of people (aka admins and clan members).

Unlike most in this community, I dislike the drama and I think this would be a great way to get rid of a bit of it instead of just "oops I deleted your thread/post teehee" and then that person makes another thread and is more pissed.
    What? This is a clan member issue not an admin one.

Having an admin only section will also keep admin bashing away from the public for the most part. Because when an admin does something wrong, they have like 10+ different people bashing on them including admins and regular community members alike. This is then followed with the admin getting defensive and 5+ pages of flame wars, abuse (in my eyes) and humiliation. This could all be avoided with an admin section.
    People are going to bash the admins regardless of there being an admin section. Most of the time it is regulars anyway, and they won't have the ability to use that section.

Clan members aren't allowed to publicly abuse/flame each other...so why should admins? That's stupid. This would also provide space for them to sort out their debate away from the public eye.
    Once again, this has nothing to do with there being a separate section. If the clan members didn't have their own section they still wouldn't be allowed to flame each other.

Christmas, if you don't like the idea of this, just keep your opinions to yourself. Strongly disagree? Would it harm you having one? No. Stop being so bleak.
    thx for the opinion but I'd like to hear others ideas/opinions regarding this before we all settle for less.
    If you want people to give their opinions then you better deal with the fact people's opinions may be against your idea. I strongly disagree because it will solve nothing. Don't ask for opinions then tell those against to keep their opinions to themselves.