Thread: Hammer related Tutorials and Resources

Default Hammer related Tutorials and Resources

I'll write a few tutorials for random crap I get asked and anything I think that would be cool to know.
    Feel free to add anything you might know.. whether its how to make things in hammer,
    or just getting hammer to just work better or whatever..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

This is all stuff for making your own maps for...
    half life 2 deathmatch, counterstrike source, day of defeat source,
    left 4 dead, and really anything source..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downloading and Installing Hammer

Go to STEAM, click on the VIEW menu, scroll down to TOOLS.
    Then, in the TOOLS list, find the "game" Source SDK and right click on it.
    Install it and wait for it to finish downloading.
    Once it is done, run the SDK, but ONLY FROM STEAM!!
    You CAN run it from a desktop shortcut, but it WILL NOT configure itself.
    When the SDK menu appears, on the bottom of it will be 2 pull down menus.
    For CS:S you will want engine version set to Half Life 2 : Episode One

and your current game, of course, set to CS:S

Now in theory, everything SHOULD work now, but everyones system is different,
    so if it doesn't work.. say so here, so I can explain that too.. lol

So there.. you've just installed Hammer. Wewt!

OPTIONAL - Custom FGD's

These have a tendency to make Hammer more user friendly..
    And generally work better in the long run..
    BUT.. I don't know how up to date they are anymore..
    so they might not even matter.. I still use them though.

Go HERE, it explains what you'll want to get and what to do with it.
    You'll really only want the CS:S and HL2 ones, HL2 because its the base game for CS:S

GETTING STARTED

EditLife.net - A somewhat useful site

RANDOM TRICKS

I was trying to figure out how I could get a ct spawn with an armory locked to t's.
    It wasnt by any means bullet proof, and the t's spawned with crates of stuff, so it wasnt unbalanced.
    It just added to the theme.. Anyway, my friend Blue helped me out, and wrote this tutorial in the process

linkage -->TUTORIAL<--

TOOLS

VTF and VMT creator for custom textures - VTFLib

Map Optimization

The most in depth optimization guide I could find.. And since I couldn't do it any better..
    check it out.. - HL2 Map Editing Optimization Page

If there is something you don't understand in those tutorials, I'll see if I can explain any better? lol

more to come!
    Last edited by Festae; 02-09-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added Optimization link

"Well, since you don't seem to be willing to do the world a favor and kill yourself,
    I guess I'm going to have to do it for you!" - Mr. Gutsy

"My programming requires that I keep trying to kill you." - Robobrain

2. Default

This is a great idea. People who wish to try and learn about mapping for CS:S and such will probably get some use out of this.

Raging might have some things to add to this to help develop it. (Such as ZM map specifics and such.) Anyway, good job.
    Last edited by Jeimuzu; 02-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

3. Default

Yeah it would be great to list the physics settings for prop movement.
    Life sucks, then you die.