Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Cancelling my admin

1. Default

In case of virus:

1) Do not panic.

2) Back up all important data to a portable drive or any other NTFS or FAT32/FAT16 partition.

3) Reinstall Windows and appropriate drivers.

4) Profit!

Really, it takes a couple of hours (6 at most, including downloading updates from Microsoft) or a couple of minutes (if you're using disk imaging software) to get your Windows installation back to perfect/factory condition. And after a format and clean install you have the utmost peace of mind that there is DEFINITELY no virus on your computer.

The best thing about this system is that you don't ever have to run any anti-virus software, so you can save processing cycles for more fun programs, such as CS:S

Quote Originally Posted by walterbrunswick View Post
    In case of virus:

1) Do not panic.

2) Back up all important data to a portable drive or any other NTFS or FAT32/FAT16 partition.

3) Reinstall Windows and appropriate drivers.

4) Profit!

Really, it takes a couple of hours (6 at most, including downloading updates from Microsoft) or a couple of minutes (if you're using disk imaging software) to get your Windows installation back to perfect/factory condition. And after a format and clean install you have the utmost peace of mind that there is DEFINITELY no virus on your computer.

The best thing about this system is that you don't ever have to run any anti-virus software, so you can save processing cycles for more fun programs, such as CS:S
    Yes, do not fucking panic like I did when I got a virus.

I FLIPPED the fuck out!

That's no bueno.

CALM DOWN RES.
    Deprodigy Approves This Message!

(delete and be banned)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

"It’s easier to seek forgiveness than ask for permission."
    - Proverb

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

"Become who you are."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

"There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."
    -Dennis Waitley

3. Default

It can really be fast with 7. It only took 20min for me to reformat and have windows ready to use!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    It can really be fast with 7. It only took 20min for me to reformat and have windows ready to use!
    About the same for me. The tricky part was finding all my drivers

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    When I first built this system a few months back I walked away expecting formatting to take the usual hours and returned to find that it was done in something like 20 minutes. I was impressed. I'd like to think its partially because of the more optimized multi-core support in 7, also 64 bit OS is nice.