Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting Better....

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS View Post
    Pft! You will definitely notice a huge difference if you go from standard stereo speakers to using a 7.1 virtual surround sound gaming headset. Being able to hear everything going on in a 20 foot area around you and being able to pinpoint exactly where footsteps are coming from, how many footsteps there are, if they are reloading, if they are going in different directions, etc, etc, etc, is priceless.

Same goes for the mouse, it's a large difference when you use a mouse optimized for gaming. I've used tons of mice before my death adder and can safely say that my death adder improved my game! It's more steady, more responsive, more accurate, has a faster response in terms of starting to move and stopping, has a smoother click and reset. Skill and experience can only take you so far before your hardware limits you. Hardware comes after experience, sure, but without the hardware you will never be as good as the guys with both skill and hardware. You do have to have the skill in order to fully appreciate the upgrade in hardware.

The HD monitor is less important, but important none-the-less if you want to fully optimize your game. Most professional players use similar set-ups not only because they're sponsored but because they're actually good set-ups that let them worry about the situation at hand rather than about their equipment.

EDIT:

The same is true with performing music. As a professional clarinetist I could make a plastic clarinet sound better than any beginning clarinetist. However, I couldn't do what I do with just a plastic clarinet. I need a professional set up in order to do so. Likewise, a beginning clarinetist couldn't just pick up my clarinet and play what I can play, they need the experience to do so.

TL;DR: Equipment matters.
    you're a meat head.

as I said, fancy gadgets arn't skill. and most ppl play with the sound off and music on when they do anyway. having a slight edge on hearing better sound doesn't mean jack shit.

I just can't believe someone would ask how does 2 improve there skill, and your answer is 2 spend money Lol... that's so ass backwards it's not even funny.

your headset mouse and monitor don't give you any edge. your reaction time and hand eye is still the same, you've just wasted money is all.

if you wana believe diff, go for it, but you = wrong lol

yes a better clarinet will sound better, but we're talking about skill, not sound..... come on man..... go buy the best clarinet on the market, it might naturally sound a bit nicer, but your skill lvl with it will not improve at all... unless you practice and blah blah.

skill can't be bought. and his question was, how do I improve my Skill, not how do I get a better sound out of my clarinet, the 2 have absolutley nothing in common.

"get a HD monitor" yeah... for CSS... totally Lol...

as acolyte said, you can spend all the money on the best clubs, or gear for any sport, even in paintball, you can go buy a $2000 gun, but you wont be ANY better. skill is worked for and earned, not paid for.

I'm pretty sure there's a reason within my going on 11 years of CSS now, you're literally the only person ive ever heard try and claim something like this

You can expect to invest around $500 into professional gaming equipment beyond your computer tower. ~350 on a good monitor, 80-100 for a good headset and 80 on a good mouse.

silly.. just down right silly lol.
    Last edited by maynard; 02-15-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    you're a meat head.

as I said, fancy gadgets arn't skill. and most ppl play with the sound off and music on when they do anyway. having a slight edge on hearing better sound doesn't mean jack shit.

I just can't believe someone would ask how does 2 improve there skill, and your answer is 2 spend money Lol... that's so ass backwards it's not even funny.

your headset mouse and monitor don't give you any edge. your reaction time and hand eye is still the same, you've just wasted money is all.

if you wana believe diff, go for it, but you = wrong lol

skill can't be bought. and his question was, how do I improve my Skill, not how do I get a better sound out of my clarinet, the 2 have absolutley nothing in common.

"get a HD monitor" yeah... for CSS... totally Lol...

as acolyte said, you can spend all the money on the best clubs, or gear for any sport, even in paintball, you can go buy a $2000 gun, but you wont be ANY better. skill is worked for and earned, not paid for.

I'm pretty sure there's a reason within my going on 11 years of CSS now, you're literally the only person ive ever heard try and claim something like this

silly.. just down right silly lol.
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying :P

And besides, about half of my original post was about observing professional players, learning weapons and playing a lot using proper technique.

Believe me, I'm a perfectionist in everything that I do; performing at my best all the time is something I get paid for.

To say that you, with your 11 years of CSS experience, could go toe-to-toe with me with you using a computer that barely meets minimum reqs to play CSS and me using my own rig is something on which I'd bet good money.

But alas, this is not a pissing contest. He asked for ways he could get better, and I'd say that my post was pretty thorough to that end.
    Last edited by OMGBEARS; 02-15-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Yeah. I'm an admin. What of it?

3. Default

I don't think you understand what I'm saying :P

And besides, about half of my original post was about observing professional players, learning weapons and playing a lot using proper technique.

Believe me, I'm a perfectionist in everything that I do; performing at my best all the time is something I get paid for.

To say that you, with your 11 years of CSS experience, could go toe-to-toe with me with you using a computer that barely meets minimum reqs to play CSS and me using my own rig is something on which I'd bet good money.

But alas, this is not a pissing contest. He asked for ways he could get better, and I'd say that my post was pretty thorough to that end.

all I'm saying is you're wrong, and seem 2 think you can buy skill. ive never once in my god knows how long of online gaming in general heard any 1 say in response 2 the question "how do I get better at this game" come back with "oh go spend an additional 500 dollars on shit that will not make you better"

why do you keep bringing up shit that has no relevance, I don't care what you get paid 2 do in RL, that's not what we're talking about, just like we're not talking about instrumental sounds.

that's like saying if obama played an RTS, he would pwwn it cause of his leadership skills in RL< when the fact is THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER. just as your job in RL, has NOTHING to do with CSS, or your ability 2 shoot people in the game.

you keep brining up shit that has no relevance 2 prove your fail point of that spending 500 dollars on gaming shit will make someone better at CS lol.

I wont argue with ya anymore, if you wana honestly stand by that retarded claim, go nutts.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

4. Default

Maynard, I think you're hard headed. I'm not trying to be rude, but you must not be thinking straight to completely throw out what bears said. Bears is correct for most parts of his post.

Better hardware will help you without a doubt as long as you know how to use it. I've gone from a regular optical mouse to my razer lachesis and I don't understand how I played without it for all of these years. I immediately noticed a difference in how well I could aim and just the way it felt. So much smoother and easier to play with.

I got a new monitor and once again immediately noticed a difference with my skill level. I could see things from across maps all of a sudden that I couldn't before. It helped drastically by improving the colours of just about everything. I can see much clearer and distinguish between objects and people much better.

I got a new tower 100x better than my old one and again, noticed a big change in the way I was playing. CSS ran much smoother and fps was not an issue due to my graphics card and all that fancy stuff inside my case.

I got a nice headset so that I could hear where people were, as bear said. That alone helped my game a ton. I can listen for when people are walking around corners and pretty well pre-fire as I hear them approaching it.

You can't tell me that this was all coincidence... Hardware will help you out if you know how to use it. Thats the basis of what we're trying to get across to you.

Care to 1v1?

P.S. Just in case you call me out for being younger than you, that means nothing. I have been playing since the the original half life came out. I've played every game since then. Just a fyi..

This was in no way meant to be offensive or aggressive.. just came out that way. Hopefully I covered everything in there.
    Fear is a Liar.

5. Default

obviously a better PC would improve performace.... the monitor and microphone and gaming mouse are all cosmetic accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    I got a nice headset so that I could hear where people were, as bear said. That alone helped my game a ton. I can listen for when people are walking around corners and pretty well pre-fire as I hear them approaching it.
    Lol... ya... a cheap headset can do all that as well...

I could careless how old you are. I find it amusing though you start going on about your age before any 1 has even said anything.

like come on people, we're talking about CS here. the graphics are mediocre at best, and the game play is very simple. and you wana talk about having 2 get new PC's 2 run it better, and spending 500 bucks in gaming accessories for CSS? Lol.. I'm sorry but that's just funny. you can think I'm hard headed or whatever you want, cause I think you're both meat heads.
    Last edited by maynard; 02-15-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

6. Default

obviously a better PC would improve performace.... the monitor and microphone and gaming mouse are all cosmetic accessories.
    Cosmetic? I disagree. A sticker on the case of your computer would be a cosmetic accessory. I think that a headset (not for the microphone, I don't even use mine) and my mouse help quite a bit. I notice a difference in my gameplay personally, although I'm sure that somebody that has logged quite a bit more time than me or is just generally better at the game wouldn't find it to be much help. Bears and myself are just stating what helps us play to the best of our abilities.

I see what you're saying in a way, but I still have to disagree with you.

I guess a cheap headset could do that too, so what are you on about? You still have to spend money on the headset do you not? And if you're going to spend the money, why not just go for gold and get something decent.

I put the thing about my age in there because I've noticed people tend to look down on the younger players, and sometimes try to throw that in there to work to their advantage in an argument. I figured I would state that before anything starts up.

You seem like a very confident guy saying the gameplay is simple. The basis of it is, but when you get into complicated situations, its not all that simple, is it? The graphics are mediocre, I'll agree with you on that. You still need good fps to play the game the way it was intended to be played.

God damnit you keep editing your post. I can't keep up.
    Last edited by chase; 02-15-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    Fear is a Liar.

7. Default

Bears and myself are just stating what helps us play to the best of our abilities.
    Lol... saying

You can expect to invest around $500 into professional gaming equipment beyond your computer tower. ~350 on a good monitor, 80-100 for a good headset and 80 on a good mouse.

isn't stating what helps him personally play. it's saying be prepared 2 spend that much, cause it's basically like the norm when it's not.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

8. Default

Lol... saying

isn't stating what helps him personally play. it's saying be prepared 2 spend that much, cause it's basically like the norm when it's not.

You've lost me now... what?

Did I use a word out of context? :S

Bears was just giving a general guideline to what good parts would come out to. I'm sure you can find them cheaper if thats what you're getting at
    Fear is a Liar.

9. Default

You've lost me now... what?

Did I use a word out of context? :S

Bears was just giving a general guideline to what good parts would come out to. I'm sure you can find them cheaper if thats what you're getting at
    no what I'm saying is that bears and myself were disagreeing and now you've jumped in like you were involved when never were, and are now not understanding the facts

here's a fact

saying expect to spend 500 dollars gives the impression it's the regular and norm thing to do. the fact is CSS is a 10 dollar game, if you spend 500 dollars on shit 2 be better at it then that's just epic fail. I got no beef with people who wana buy that shit... but to do it for the soul purpose of "getting better at CS" is hilarious.

you said 2 posts ago that you and bears are stating what you personally like, and i"m saying no, bears is giving a false illusion that people need 2 spend a shit ton of money on extra stuff when they honestly don't.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

10. Default

no what I'm saying is that bears and myself were disagreeing and now you've jumped in like you were involved when never were, and are now not understanding the facts

here's a fact

saying expect to spend 500 dollars gives the impression it's the regular and norm thing to do. the fact is CSS is a 10 dollar game, if you spend 500 dollars on shit 2 be better at it then that's just epic fail. I got no beef with people who wana buy that shit... but to do it for the soul purpose of "getting better at CS" is hilarious.

you said 2 posts ago that you and bears are stating what you personally like, and i"m saying no, bears is giving a false illusion that people need 2 spend a shit ton of money on extra stuff when they honestly don't.
    In case you didn't notice, this is a forum. I am allowed to post in it, and agree with people and disagree with people. I can jump in wherever I would like to as long as it is related to the topic at hand.

Maybe me and bears do have a difference in what we think, but I think we are pretty well on the same page. How much money would you expect to spend on your computer to efficiently run the game? $10? the same price as the game? What I think bears is getting at is that if he was to start from scratch and had the money, that would be what to keep in mind. He didn't say that you HAVE TO go and buy all those things, but if you wanted to, they may help.
    Fear is a Liar.