Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting Better....

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    In case you didn't notice, this is a forum. I am allowed to post in it, and agree with people and disagree with people. I can jump in wherever I would like to as long as it is related to the topic at hand.
    no 1 said you couldn't......

thx, but I don't need you 2 try and explain what bears is saying, I'm sure he's more then capable to do it himself. that and I'm able 2 read his msgs and see what he's saying.

I'm simply trying to say that spending 500 dollars wont do you any favours but break your bank. and even if you get all these goodies, the slight bit of skill difference isn't even what I'm sure the person was asking about in the first place. generally when someone asks how do I get better or good at the game, they want 2 pwwn, not have a slight advantage cause they spent a shitload of money. they want 2 be a board topper, and the best way 2 accomplish that is just play the game and become familiar with it and improve your hand eye and reaction time.

I'm done with this thread. if wasting money is what your into... go nutts.

-End

Maynard - The WCS Guy

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    no 1 said you couldn't......

thx, but I don't need you 2 try and explain what bears is saying, I'm sure he's more then capable to do it himself. that and I'm able 2 read his msgs and see what he's saying.

I'm simply trying to say that spending 500 dollars wont do you any favours but break your bank. and even if you get all these goodies, the slight bit of skill difference isn't even what I'm sure the person was asking about in the first place. generally when someone asks how do I get better or good at the game, they want 2 pwwn, not have a slight advantage cause they spent a shitload of money. they want 2 be a board topper, and the best way 2 accomplish that is just play the game and become familiar with it and improve your hand eye and reaction time.

I'm done with this thread. if wasting money is what your into... go nutts.

-End
    I'm sure bears can explain himself just fine, but he hasn't so far so I threw in my 2 cents. My ideas were the same as bears, so I try to help him get his point across to you. Welcome to life, people help out others. If bears doesn't want me to speak by his side, then I won't.

Raw skill is obviously very useful, but we're talking beyond that as well. Better off telling him everything now.
    Fear is a Liar.

3. Smile My two cents

Here's my two cents since I actually posted the question in the beginning. I agree with both sides to an extent and I think there is a happy medium. I have been playing the game a long time and I do have a good concept of what I need to be doing to improve, I mainly posted the question to see if some of the TOP players could suggests some things that have helped them to become the superior players that they are. I tend to top the scores a lot, but when some of the more awesome players come in I see myself doing worse when they are in and I just wanted to pick their brains a little bit.

Anyway, what I am saying is....I understand the argument that decent hardware is going to improve your ability to get better, I also understand that 500 dollars is in no waynear what needs to be spent to be both competitive and at pretty much the same level, if not better than most people. I have a pretty sweet rig set up and the only things I have purchased for the game is a set of 15 dollar headphones, (which are 2.1, but honestly if I had surround I would maybe get one more kill a round, so the extra 80 dollars isn't worth it), and my monitor is a standard 21 in lcd which is just fine for my needs and even in more intense gaming I find that I am doing just fine. Now I don't really have any room to compare, so maybe I more expensive monitor may be beneficial, but I highly doubt that extra money would honestly turn into more kills. I do have a decent gaming mouse and I agree that precision movement and aiming is important. I think I spent about 65 dollars on my mouse, but I know many many many great players who have a stock dell optical mouse that can pwn my ass any day.

I think it is pretty obvious that some better hardware can be beneficial, but some improvements are kind of cosmetic in the sense that it is kind of overkill and spending the extra money doesn't really relay into improved play. Its like playing on a 720p or 1080p, the naked eye can't tell the difference at the distance that most gamers play, so why get the more expensive one? That is just vanity.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments and help you guys have given me. I have employed lots of the tips I have read from this thread and I am getting better by the day!!!

I hope you guys can find that happy medium!!

Mos

4. Default

I've been using PS/2 ball mice since the late 1990's.

The ball mouse that I've been using for the past month is glitchy as fuck--the mouse pointer randomly jumps across the screen (in-game and out), the mouse randomly clicks (and discharges a round in-game), and is just a REAL pain in the ass. Playing with that mouse has SEVERELY reduced my abilities to play up to my skill level.

It's not necessary to spend a fortune on equipment, but like OMGBEARS and chase have stated, there is without a shadow of a doubt that equipment improves gameplay. It's only a matter of degree of how much.

I'm going to buy my first USB optical mouse after my shift today

5. Default

Yeah you really don't need a 100 dollar mouse. It's all about the surface of the mouse. Talk to some good CS players and they are using a Logitech standard mouse, but a great mouse pad. Sensitivity is also a plus. I play on my couch and use the sofa as my surface so go figure. CS is boring now so whatever.

มวยไทย
    Got a blister? Ibuprofen. Can't feel from your waist down? Ibuprofen. Got a spider bite? Ibuprofen. - SPC S-Rod & Me

6. Default

I use a pair of sony earbud headphones that I bought for my mp3 player. I may have gave 20 bucks for them. I hear as much as I need to. I have used 5.1 surround headphones in the past and I actually did worse with them. I ended up playing on my speakers more then my headphones..

I use a logitech mx518 for a mouse, I spent like 50 bucks on it new, and now it can be bought for like 20. I dont use a mousepad, got a good smooth surface on my desk.

Older computer as well, I maintain about 200 fps on css so its good enough for me. I do use a 1080p 21 inch moniter through, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

I tihnk if you are using a ball mouse you need to upgrade or you will be hindering yourself. That is probably the biggest hardware difference maker. As far as the other high end stuff that omgbears was posting, i would say it would make a difference, but not that much of one, maybe a extra kill or two a map.

I maintain a 2.4 K ratio on PUB and a 1.77 K on GG almost always in the top 3 rank. Take my opinion as you want

7. Default

I should clarify that you can surely play on a bare-bones computer with a low-end headset, mouse and such and be better than 90% of the people you'll find on PUB servers. If you find yourself enjoying this game (or other FPS or any other game for that matter) to the extent that you feel that investing in high-end hardware to bring that number up to say.. 99% of the people you'll find on PUB servers, you'll certainly notice the difference. If you get an ESEA subscription or find other places where people pay-to-play with people of a higher caliber than your run-of-the-mill PUB player you will also find a different story, however. Any edge you can afford to give yourself is a good one. Key word: 'afford' -- don't break your bank if you want to tighten up your CS game 5%.

There is a threshold with equipment that after a certain dollar value of said equipment there are very small gains in terms of what you receive in performance. You have to be very good to even notice the difference, and it's not a guarantee that said difference will result in a guaranteed improvement in performance, as many players grow accustomed to their set-ups over time. If you enjoy CS or any other game to the point where your skill is out-pacing your equipment and also to the point where purchasing high-end equipment is an option (not all of us have enough money to invest into high-end gaming hardware) then by all means do so. However, it's always a cost-benefit deal. You will pay more for a smaller increase in performance at high-end rather than low-end.

TL;DR: You won't become rambo all-of-a-sudden if you buy a top of the line machine gun. You have to start off at the machete like rambo did and once you get really good with that maybe the upgrade to the machine gun will be worth while.

P.S. Thank you, chase, for trying to help me explain my point! Much <3. Also much <3 maynard, even though you're being a poop-head.
    Yeah. I'm an admin. What of it?

8. Default

I cant believe THIS has some how turned into a flame thread. Get back on the subject and stop flaming each other or I will close this thread tonight and delete all negative posts.

@ Walter- Why are you still here? Doesn't your server launch in less than a week? Most of IBIS is ready to see you move on...
    Its nothing personal but I think your move to a new Clan/Server is a good thing. Its been fun but I wont miss the drama queens you seem to attract...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vladninja View Post
    I cant believe THIS has some how turned into a flame thread. Get back on the subject and stop flaming each other or I will close this thread tonight and delete all negative posts.

@ Walter- Why are you still here? Doesn't your server launch in less than a week? Most of IBIS is ready to see you move on...
    Its nothing personal but I think your move to a new Clan/Server is a good thing. Its been fun but I wont miss the drama queens you seem to attract...
    Tee hee, Vlad.

Eh, as far as flaming goes I don't think there's too much of it. A pretty low ratio if I say so, myself. Posts concerning skill are bound to have some of that in them! Plus, most of the flaming was at me, and I don't mind all that much :P

EDIT: I'm sorry if my poop-head comment offended anyone. My b, yo.
    Yeah. I'm an admin. What of it?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS View Post
    . Also much <3 maynard, even though you're being a poop-head.
    Lol.. I'm not being a poop head. I just strongly believe if someone asks how 2 get better, saying "be prepared to invest 500 dollars in gaming equipment" is an incredibly stupid ass thing to say, and I will stand by that till the day I die.

instead of arguing the fact with me, then having chase "clarify it".. and then agreeing with chase, you could have just said it properly from the get go, which you now have... that the 500 dollars worth of shit will only sssllligghhttlllyyy increase your overall skill.... even though you were claiming the headset alone will make "a huge difference"... and now claim all these things combined will only up your skill about 5%

Quote Originally Posted by Vladninja View Post
    Where is this flame you speak of? I see people disagreeing about the thread topic issue and discussing the topic issue. other then myself calling bears a noob once and chase calling me hot headed (all in good humor) I don't see any flame any where... I see people disagreeing, that's about it. I wouldn't call that flame.
    Last edited by maynard; 02-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Maynard - The WCS Guy