Thread: Enormous lag on ZM server

1. Default Enormous lag on ZM server

most levels have serious lag, i know its not my comp and ive done everyting to include changning my refresh rate and netgraph but there is still to much lag on ZM, very glitchy. its not just me though its most people. ive showed alot of people how to change the control time from the comp to the server but still no dice. anyways i think there is just to many people on the server or it needs to be updated. anyways here are some ways to make your comp faster to change the speed from your comp to the server

CL_updaterate 10
    rate 20000
    net_graph 3
    fps_max 999

2. Default

well, that's probably not even the right rate to use.

anyway, zero did just update it. wonder what's going on now?
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

3. Default

That is possibly the worst rate config I have ever seen in fact it would not only make your game laggy as hell and kill your shot registration it is also borderline hacking! This is becuase the registration with settings this bad is likely to make it very hard for not only your shots to register but for shots to register on you!

Now as far as the lag goes there are a lot of maps that are the cause of this lag. The problem is that most zm maps are made by people who are about as good at programing as a hippo! These maps are so poorly coded that even my computer is in some cases not able to get above 20fps and if I can not even get above 20 then most of the server can barley render the map. All of this localized lag is multiplied across the entire server as the server is killing itself trying to go back in time far enough to preform hit calculations when 90% of the data is missing and becuase this data is missing it also has to fill it in! Yes btw I did say back in time b/c every time that anyone gets shot the server actually needs to go back in time to determine where all the players where in order to ensure that the shot will register properly. However in order to do this the server needs a constant supply of packets that you computer can only output at a rate <=your current fps and if that level ever is <server tick then your at a loss and so if the server and your missing packets combined with a high latency occur at the same time disaster strikes. While the game engine can handle 20 people with 100ping doing this with 40 people even if they all had 50 ping is like trying to breath in outer space. It just does not work unless your in a space suit and unfortunately there is no way to ensure everyone has one b/c they got to provide their own. So when a map maker just tosses the players out without programing any lifelines or perhaps a nice shuttle for those without the suits then not only do they start dying but they start grabbing on to the people with suits and next thing you know the whole lot is flying into the sun.
    Last edited by ZERO; 02-16-2010 at 04:48 PM.

4. Default

zero, that was fucking beautiful.

i have no idea what any of it means, but seriously that was inspiring

edit: i have no idea what these rate things actually mean, so i looked it up. this site explains perfectly. according to them:

"cl_updaterate is the number of game packets per second the client will attempt to request off the server. This should be no higher than 100 or the maximum number of frames per second you are getting, and should be no lower than 20. "

so...yeah...those rates would not allow you to play most any server, not just our zm.
    Last edited by acolyte_to_jippity; 02-16-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

5. Default

It seems to be made for the old cs. cl_interp is now cl_interpratio or something like that. Also it does not address increasing your fps to reduce choke or the effects that your actual computer can have in creating choke. However from what I did see in there it looks right.

Also I edited out some repeated words that probably made my last post un readable.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Longestnameicouldthinkof View Post

CL_updaterate 10
    rate 20000
    net_graph 3
    fps_max 999
    lawl

Maynard - The WCS Guy