Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer ! :D

1. Default Totally Agree

Hey bro I bet there are some Ibis members that are local to you that would be more than happy to help you put a rig together. Try to explain to your mom that getting that machine from the company you were talking about it a complete rip off. Have her read this thread if she doesn't believe you. I realize you said that money isn't an issue, but for that amount of money you can get a beast of a system instead of the mediocre one you are thinking about getting! I think asking around and seeing if anyone is near you to help with a build would be my best suggestion. I would be more than happy to help you build this rig but I doubt you are in the Ohio area!! Goodluck and hopefully everyone's suggestions on here will help.....

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    that was the best you could do for no budget? Just 3 parts of my computer = the entire amount you just spent...

Also how was that overkill?

If you want overkill and a no budget limit just build my computer with the parts that have been invented since then.

Also if you just want a prebuilt with no budget why not just buy an Alienware!? I mean when you throw cost out you can do anything. There is a ton of stuff that was cut from my computers budget to make cost and I would highly suggest that if you want a great computer at unlimited cost to simply build the SBII revision 2. (I am using revision 9) Estimated cost is >=$10,000 and will give you basically the most powerful desktop computer on earth. You will also need to spend a few hundred on electrical upgrades to your room/house and possibly some more money for upgraded air conditioning as my version already maxes out a regular ac in the summer.

Also 1TB is not enough space if you need a lot of video storage. I have 3.5TB for my entire system and I expect it to last 1-2 years before 2TB more is needed.
    Yes well your not normal.
    and hell, even though I said no limit, I limited my self as to not put in that 1 grand extreme quad core i7 (makes me wonder what the hell the hexacore will cost).
    I also didn't put in any overclocking equipment. That tower supports a shit load of fans and you could probably put a massive cooler on the processor and shit.
    I could have put 4 1tb harddrives and tell him to RAID 5 it (or does that take 5 idk).

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

Just don't get an AMD processor. Intel FTW.
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to report admin abuse
    How to find hackers

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XxMastagunzxX View Post
    Just don't get an AMD processor. Intel FTW.
    .... why not? the phenom II is actually a beast. its between the i3 and i5 in power if I remember right. Someone can correct me if im wrong

5. Arrow

Yea for no budget get:
    $400 ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    $1689 Xeon W5590 Nehalem-EP 3.33GHz
    $4000 OCZSSDPCIE-ZDM84512G (512GB 780mb/s+ read/write) 2x
    $2000 BFGEGTX2951792BE x4
    $600 KHX2000C8D3T1K3/6GX x2
    $549 PPCT1200ESA

So that is $9238 but you will need another 2-3k for cooling and cases.

Now this is unlimited budgeting!

Cooling needs (estimated price)
    $90 Latest EK supreme version
    $300 30-50ft of 1/2 ID tubing laboratory grade
    $250 34+ 1/2ID bitspower compression fittings
    $700 3-4 4x 120mm fan radiators
    $400 3-4 335 pumps
    $100 3-4 335 upgraded pump tops
    $600 4 295 full blocks
    $200 1 p6t7ws fullblock cover
    $100 3-4 tanks
    $100 possibly quick disconnects fittings
    $20 possibly female female couplers
    $400 30+ 120mm fans
    $60 24 carrot diamond thermal paste
    $200 6 fan controllers/temp readers
    $130 6-8 bitspower temp probes
    About $3650 needed for cooling without coolant, regardless of coolant even if water is used you will need at least $100-$300 more.

So as you see considering the budget for the SBII revision 2 was $15,000 this configuration is fairly close.
    Last edited by ZERO; 03-01-2010 at 07:01 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StarsMine View Post
    .... why not? the phenom II is actually a beast. its between the i3 and i5 in power if I remember right. Someone can correct me if im wrong
    If you are referring to efficacy power: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs...investigated/1 this study concluded that watt for watt Intel is better...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    If you are referring to efficacy power: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs...investigated/1 this study concluded that watt for watt Intel is better...
    hell I was right, the graphs also show that the Phenom II is more powerfull then the i3 :P

Considering the Mobos for that cost 100$ and the CPU costs 100$ also, I think that the power you save is rather insignificant
    It uses the same amount of power on idle, just uses more on full load. who puts a quad core on full load? I hardly do that with my Pentium unless im converting a video, even then the speed of such a processor means it takes less time to do it

hmm didnt put the Mobos into my logic above.

8. Default

Well only the most powerful AMD was more efficient and I think that one cost more than an i3 also he said no budget so it should not matter. I mean logically with no budget the only option is the one I am posting above.

9. Default

With no budget I would go get NASA to build me something. Or ask the pentagon what it did with all those PS3 cells, and get one of those.

10. Default

Actually a supercomputer was built with the parts listed above except they used 7 gpus instead of 4 since they were not using sli. there's actually cost less money but was less powerful in many aspects as it was built for processing 3d xrays. This systems power and processing capability once configured is unmatched even by low level supercomputers. Also if you were using a node system which is how the ps3 thing works you can just 2x or 4x ect the above config and put it in a node config and then you would have a real computer computer. In fact if you did not care about gaming and only computation as your suggesting in your post a simply motherboard switch for one with 2cpu slots and 2x the ram slots will be better than any config your suggestions can match. This is logically short of using intiam parts or other equipment that is highly specialized. At this point though you will need a custom linux version to make it work and even custom fraimware/bos. My suggested config is the best all category system for sub $15,000.