Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Tech Talk

1. Default

Ok I know many of you have heard about the Gulftown processor (aka i7 980) with six cores that is coming out soon. But has anyone heard about the Intel Haswell processor?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mag36 View Post
    Ok I know many of you have heard about the Gulftown processor (aka i7 980) with six cores that is coming out soon. But has anyone heard about the Intel Haswell processor?
    I really wish the i7 980 remained the i9. When I ask people what processor they have they generally can only tell you whats on the sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mag36 View Post
    I've noticed lots of people having problems and questions on pc stuff lately and it might be a good idea to have one thread devoted to computer problems, builds, and new tech stuff that's coming out instead of someone making a new thread when someone has something they want to share.
    i would like to know if there is a good free anti virus out there that i do not have to keep renewing/reinstalling. i have avast now but the free trial ran out and i guess i have to reistall it.. anybodys help would be awesome.

"if the futures been drawn out theres no point in living." sksk
    Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    within the ruins remins me of a somewhat harder bullet for my valentine

4. Default

www.free-av.com

that's one of the best out there. maximum PC liked it far far better than avast. it almost outperformed most of the really expensive antivirus suites. in fact, kasperski and symantec super full were the only two paid ones that beat it as far as detection rate.

very small footprint on your system's resources, background's very nice.

simple user interface...but it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by uuntiltheendd View Post
    i would like to know if there is a good free anti virus out there that i do not have to keep renewing/reinstalling. i have avast now but the free trial ran out and i guess i have to reistall it.. anybodys help would be awesome.

I use AVG and really like that as anti virus. You do have to switch to newer versions about once a year but hey its free

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

6. Default

Maximum pc gave AVG good marks a few years ago but in recent shootouts it has been downgraded mainly for being annoying.

The first thing I think of when I hear avast is "avast another false positive off port!"

7. Default

So today I got the M11x in and it has been great so far! It is smaller than a broken sony vio from a few years ago that I took out of spare part storage to reference and weighs a lot less. I got the silver and love the color as it is even better than the silver in the old Alienware Area-51m, the laptop it is replacing. All the fancy features Alienware has today were not invented when I got mine so seeing the cool lighting effects and setting them up was a lot of fun. I hope that some plugins come out that will allow me to do more cool things with the effects in the future. The facial recognition also was not hard to set up and works well. I have seen this on my sisters computer too and it is not fooled by any tricks. I love the fell of the mouse and the computer as a whole has a great solid feel to it that echos its quality build. Switching between the gpus works well and you can OC the cpu though the bios from factory and without losing the warranty assuming you use their OC.

Attached is the windows experience test thing taken at stock with integrated, stock with nvidia, overclocked cpu with intigrated and oced cpu with the Nvidia chip. You will notice that the memory also improves with the oc becuase of the higher speed as they are able to run at their "normal" speed of 1066 instead of 800.
    Attached Images

8. Default

For gaming I was able to run the CS:S benchmark at >100fps with the default video settings which were all turned up from what I saw.
    I was able to run SC2 beta at 30fps which is all I get on this computer too for what ever reason. This was on max settings and I can say that this computer WILL run SC2 at max settings when it comes out based of what I have seen here.

Now my big mission is to find a dam bag for this thing. I want something small that isolates the computer and protects it but also has storage space for other assories like my imod and amplifier and headphones and the power bricks for those and the wall splitters and cat5 cables and usb cables and an external cd drive and space for an external HDD in the future. I am willing to use a 15" bag to do this but I can not find any that are right...

Also the metal that the case is made out of behind the LCD reflect electromagnetic waves. As a result you can not allow it to get within 2" of a crt based monitor or it can cause damage to the crt as the electromagnetic interference messes with the field produced by the crt.
    Last edited by ZERO; 03-05-2010 at 11:57 PM.

9. Default

ummm, about the bag. i use a targus grove bag, sling style. i can hold plenty of books as well as my laptop, and mouse.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-446-_-Product
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

10. Default

Thanks but I am looking more for a briefcase. Also I need to be able to store the items in a separate pocket from the computer to prevent them from destroying each other.