Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Car problem help :(

1. Default Car problem help :(

Ok guyz maybe some of you know a thing or two about cars. Got a problem, here it is tell me what you think, any help appreciated.

94 Acura Integra LS 140k miles, Misfirng, Bogging Down, Backfire as engine is getting warmer. When the engine is cold it will almost never do this. Usually after it's warmed up, on accelerating the engine will misfire like crazy. It does this the most in 2nd gear, starting about 2200 rpms, all the way up. The only way to make it stop is to let off on the throttle to about a eighth of the way down, then it will quit misfiring and regain it's power. But if I was to hit the gas hard again it would just start misfiring again. It does it in other gears as well but it is the most noticeable in 2nd. Another thing, If I do not let off of the throttle it will eventually just backfire. I have replaced the mass airflow sensor, fuel pump, plugs, rotor cap, plug wires, fuel filter and fuel p regulater. It is throwing no check engine light codes. I have taken it to different mechanics and I keep getting told different things, and to be honest I really do no want to just keep replacing parts until I eventually fix it. I was told that it is the crankshaft position sensor now, but before I go out and spend more money I would like some different opinions on it. Thanks for your time guys.

Your catalytic converter could be stopped up. It could be the crankshaft position sensor. See if you can find a used one. Maybe an o2 sensor problem? Also check your ignition coil and Ignition control module.
    Last edited by XxMastagunzxX; 03-04-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to report admin abuse
    How to find hackers

3. Default

Umm, it's hard to make suggestions without seeing it but I'll try anyway and if it's not showing up with any codes chances are it's NOT a sensor.

It could be something simple as a leak in your air intake or cold air is getting into the exhaust some how, so a leak there too.

This does does sound like you have some sort of exhaust type of problem.

In my opionon you should try the cheapest simpliest solution and then work your way up.
    These are the words you wish you wrote down.

4. Default

What is funny is that I ruled everything you did out when you first started talking becuase none of those would cause the issue only to happen at particular speeds or gears. The computer or another component controls the timing of the firing when the engine is running. Because the problem is misfiring and is being caused by the plugs not activating at the correct time and the fact that it only occurs sometimes instantly says that it is a computer problem. Replace, flash or upgrade your computer and it should be fine. (I am assuming you do not have a turbo). If it was a mechanical problem then it would occur at all speeds and all gears or would be completely random as the part effected was required for the operation. The only other possibility would be the head but that is unlikely as you do not have vtech and therefore mechanically your head functions the same at all speeds. The timing of your piston firing can be reprogrammed in the computer somehow it is not working correctly or got corrupted. It will not show an error b/c OBDII only looks for censor errors and does a bad job at actually reporting real problems. The fact that it does not show any errors also suggests it is a computer problem.

Also he already has worked his way up as b/c the places he went to had no idea where to start they just started from the bottom and went to the top. Most car repair places simply go from least expensive to most as their solution to any problem the computer can not tell them the answer to. However if you apply logic and understanding you can avoid replacing parts that should have nothing to do with your problem given all data available. Based off the data available and not even counting what he has already tired my first thought is the computer.

I'm 99% sure it's not the computer.
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to find hackers

6. Default

Your 99% sure it is not the computer yet you have no idea what the problem is?

Even without knowing what he has tried already I was 90% sure it was the computer. After what he has tired already the only option left IS the computer so I am now 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999% sure that is the cause.

The normal solution to this problem is to check/replace: oil change,air filter,pcv valve,plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor,bottle of injector cleaner,fuel filter,check fluids

This problem is and can be caused by using low quality fuel when the engine computer is set for high octane (computer can be reprogrammed to any fule level you want) or if your fuel is too high quality.

So one cheep solution would be to use the opposite fuel you use now.

Have you had the valve timings and cam timings ect checked? I am assuming so as that is the problem area...

This thread the guy has basically the same problem: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2319046
    Last edited by ZERO; 03-04-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Tell us what the problem is when you find out.
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to find hackers

8. Default

Maybe the choke is set too high or the cars Air to fuel mixture is too lean (too much fuel and too little air) and is causing the backfires.

Which was the same thing happening with Leno's Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing when they put it on the Dyno.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...ays-dyno-room/

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segmen...ullwing-coupe/

Mind you I don't think your car has a lamb skin diaphragm.
    Last edited by Kavinsky; 03-04-2010 at 07:07 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Your 99% sure it is not the computer yet you have no idea what the problem is?

Even without knowing what he has tried already I was 90% sure it was the computer. After what he has tired already the only option left IS the computer so I am now 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999% sure that is the cause.

The normal solution to this problem is to check/replace: oil change,air filter,pcv valve,plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor,bottle of injector cleaner,fuel filter,check fluids

This problem is and can be caused by using low quality fuel when the engine computer is set for high octane (computer can be reprogrammed to any fule level you want) or if your fuel is too high quality.

So one cheep solution would be to use the opposite fuel you use now.

Have you had the valve timings and cam timings ect checked? I am assuming so as that is the problem area...

This thread the guy has basically the same problem: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2319046

Yea I have done almost everything on that list, actually every single thing except pcv valve, whats annoying is no one knows, they are all clueless. I am not using low quality fuel, I was told water in the fuel, or lower octane, I have been putting nothing but premo in it for the past few weeks. The only thing that makes less sense for it to be the computer is the fact that it will not do it until the engine warms up. I take that back it may still be doing it, but its no where near noticeable. It will not backfire unless I just jam the throttle down when its misfirng, then about 10 seconds later it will backfire. It does do it in other gears, but because the car is accelerating so much in 2nd I feel it alot more there, and when it starts misfiring, it will literally throw me forward in the seat, almost as if I had hit the breaks. -- thats on a bad day. Whatever it is, it is heat related. Once the engine warms up good, say at a few stoplights back to back, it will start doing it, every time. Again thanks for your help guys

Oh and the thread you linked, that guy is talking about reving the engine up sitting, my car will not do it unless it is under load. It revs just fine all the time, even if it just misfired, If i was to hit the clutch in and rev it, it would rev without a problem, its only under load and heat really.

10. Default

Premo? if thats higher than what the engines rated for you are probably doing damage to the engine.

Premo when the cars rated for regular does nothing, it does not increase hp,
    It's wasteful and the higher burn rate increases the presure on the engine parts (I'm not 100% sure)
    and will probably make the problem worse.

Also make sure the oil and the transmition fluid match up with what they say to use in the owners manual
    chemical wise, oil is not just this one kinda flud its viscosity based on its use and the age of the car.

And computers are not faultless, chances are that it has something to do with that seeing as its a post 86' car (the year almost everyone switched over to computer controled fuel injection here in the us and it just went from there)

If none of this advice fixes your problem take it to a dealer and bite the bullet, otherwise your car eventually will.
    Last edited by Kavinsky; 03-05-2010 at 01:34 AM.