Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Rigs

1. Default

-MBP

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Take off the side panel lol... mehh... my case has acoustic dampening around it all, so if i modded a window into the side...well with 5 120 MM fans, the cpu fan, the 8800 GTS, and the HD noise i dont think I would like it to much lol...

Newer Build.....
    Attachment 174

Older sold off POS build w/window.... Notice all the HDD's? lmao
    Attachment 175

yo steamer i got the same philips speakers

3. Unhappy

Uh oh, that is not good... good thing you posted this!

This configuration is very, very bad and should be fixed asap. If you are on your computer turn it off and fix this. Read the instructions from another computer that is being actively cooled and not heated.

Now rather than explain what you did wrong I will first list the principles of a good cooling system so that we can understand what went wrong:

1) The user should take note of the location the computer is to be placed
    2) The user should take note of the environment of the system
    3) A system should always try to achieve a vacuum or at minimum stabilized pressure but never suction
    4) Principles of fluid dynamics should take full priority in the positioning of all internal components and even the external position of the system if possible
    5) Redirection and focus fans should be used to adjust the main pressure channels strength, position and heat levels; ducts can be used in rare cases
    6) Recirculation should be avoided at all costs, do not generate spirals within the pressure area
    7) Ensure that internal redirection and focus fans do not create any recirculation spirals
    8) If unsure user is recommended to test fluid dynamics with a fog machine (have system powered off during this test, only allow the fans to run)
    9) System should always have a full temp probing system to ensure that no hot spots are present and components damaged.

Hopefully it is apparent which of these you failed to do. For reference you need to have that other fan turned around as you are putting too much air and not taking enough out. Also I would bet that without this increased vacuum pressure your front intake fan is not supplying any air to your upper level components. Thus there is virtually no cooling for your ram or chipset. In addition it is likely that your back fan is recirculating the hot exit air from the top fan because of the flowing: In you case top air is redirected to the back but this would logically rise b/c it is hot so not much would be sucked by the back fan unless your under a desk but the situation is not the same for the air leaving the power supply and the gpu and the rest of the air that blows though those open slots in the back. This air will rise and will be sucked up into the back fan that then heats the cpu but more importantly the totally uncooled chipset and ram, making the system more unstable than it should be. Now it is understandable as there is no temp sensor in your ram so you could not have know that is has got to be running really hot. Just turning that fan should significantly improve your system and also adding a redirection fan to focus more air to the top part where the ram and chipset are might not be a bad idea. Most importantly I would recommend getting some probs and messing around to see what works best.

To assist I have attached an image: Red shows where the heat is being directed and white shows the path of least resistance in the case of the top section the center white line shows where the vortex will naturally generate based on theoretical molding *(this is without taking the cpu heatsink into account) and the side lines show the boundaries for the max pressure area.

* Molding the cpu fan requires higher resolution flow calculation more than I can correctly get off the top of my head. Also most of you would just get confused unless I made a lot of different colors but then trying to remember what is what would confuse you. Then I would also need to take into account the resistance of other objects and how they would reflect the air and how this would decrease overall pressure and thus the location of the channel. Regardless of these variables the overall pressure channel is still mostly impacted by the position of the two fans that were taken into account. Also I think that the point as to the problem is clearly made without needing to turn this into a lecture of fluid dynamics.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ZERO; 08-18-2008 at 01:37 AM.

4. Default

Hmm... My system is always perfectly cool, although it does get more dust build up since the fan flip. So I get what your saying is that I am putting to much of a vacum on the CPU and robing airflow. I know the hot air is getting recylced threw but for some reason it does not increase my temps at all.... (weird, I know) It didnt seem resoanable that the fan was fliped the other way and I though it would decrease air flow... Apperently I was horribly mis understood. Why are my temps not any different idle or load with the fan flip the default way? The vortex doesn't seem to be doing anything to lower temps, then again, I could have botched something and just read them all screwed up. Thanks for the advice, Ill test the temps again the way it is now, then flip and see my results as the last test I did seemed to provide no decrease in temperatures.

OH, and the speaker are GREAT, well, were until I blew them lmfao.... That extra 15 inch sub sure did push out pretty damn good off the box lmfao, but then my daughter was playing under the desk and put the wires together without me noticing... lol... I haven't done another stupid thing like that since lol.

Chipset/Ram/Internal - Good temps, dont know exact but I can tell there all good.

HDD'S - All ~ 31c

GPU - 50c

CPU-
    1 - 39c
    2 - 37c
    3 - 40c
    4 - 37c

Going to turn the rear fan around and check again after boot.
    Last edited by Steamer; 08-18-2008 at 03:21 AM.

5. Default

Holy hell did I mis interpret the last test I did wrong. Thank you very very much ZERO, Didn't know what I did could effect the temps so much. 2-3c decrease in all temps and airflow seems to be more even. The Individual core temps even seem to be more stable.

Temp atm.

Chipset/Ram/Interanl - Can feel a slight difference in cooling after a burn and idle.

HDD's All ~ 29c-30c

GPU - ~ 45c

CPU-
    1 - 37c
    2 - 35c
    3 - 37c
    4 - 35c

All ambient temps are down as well. No difference in house temp. All by turning a fan... XD

As for what was apparent I relized....

3) A system should always try to achieve a vacuum or at minimum stabilized pressure but never suction
    5) Redirection and focus fans should be used to adjust the main pressure channels strength, position and heat levels; ducts can be used in rare cases
    7) Ensure that internal redirection and focus fans do not create any recirculation spirals

I wonder.... I could probably OC my GC even a bit higher for some benches before I return them back to stock because of the fixed stupidity you pointed out to me lmao. I wont be so misjudging of incorrect circulation/vacum/pressure the next time around. What do you think about adding another 120mm fan were the provided clips are in front of the front air intake (basically doubling them up). Would pushing more air in threw the front intake be a bad idea or just no point? Some things I do on my PC use all available resources and it doesn't sound like a bad idea to add the fan but I dont know too much about fans and how they effect the entire system (as you probably already figured out lol).

After another test, temp rise slope is even better and far more even. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Temp1.JPG

Nvidia should really make a driver set that can dynamicaly lower the clock when not in use for gaming or applications like they do on the 200 series, I get it wouldn't be as great but it would scratch the need for 3rd party apps. Meh, guess they think its one less thing they have to worry about since its on old tech.

You seem to know an extential amount of information about many different types of tech and topics/happenings... what the hell do you do with all your free time? lmao...
    Last edited by Steamer; 08-18-2008 at 04:02 AM.

6. Default

I think that focusing more airflow toward the ram would increase performance b/c they have limited cooling. That would do more than adding an extra intake. Remember that you want to take out more than you put in and that at minimum you should take in as much as you put out. If you were to spend any actual money though I would upgrade you cpu heat sink. Also if you wanted to really OC your gpu I would recommend upgrading all your fans to higher output ones first. My setup has a 22% gpu OC and a 17% memory OC all with stock heatsink and only air cooling on it.

7. Default

man my case is a old one, it looks terrible lol, but my specs on it is:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    RAM: Kingston DDR 800 2048.6 Mb
    V/Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    DX Ver: 9.0c
    Mainboard: M61SME-S2 Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    O/S: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3.0
    HDD: 426 GB / 848 GB (49.7% Free)

8. Default

From my understanding of air flow (could be wrong), stacking another in front I would still be taking out more air but providing a bit more flow to the ram/chipset from the clip on fan.

Also the fans I have in my case are Antec Tri-Cool's (top compartment running all full powered, Lower compartment fans at medium) and the front intake is a high adjustable rpm rosewill. I was gonna get a reaper but the prices are pretty high. Here is a pic of the gpu clock (stable) before I fixed the cooling.

The specs from Antec on fans are.
    RPM 1200 1600 2000
    CFM 39 56 79
    dBA 25 28 30

Rosewill Front Adjustable Intake.
    Rosewill RFX120
    43.5 to 87.5CFM at 1200-2200RPM

OCVC.jpg
    OCTEMP.jpg

From what I have read around, the 8800 GTS doesn't have that great of a memory overclock potential, but the shader and core can go pretty far. Something like a 27% max on core, and around the same on the shader.
    Last edited by Steamer; 08-19-2008 at 05:21 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig <ibis> View Post
    God it took me forever to actually get to this. Pics of my good computer... The best one i have ever owned.

Last one is my new external drive before i put it together. It looks all pretty now.
    Nice keyboard/mouse.

10. Default

I See the box of tissues, what happen you use up all the lotion!