Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Steams new format.

1. Default

I miss the easily clickable icons at the bottom and tabs at the top.. Now you need like an extra click or two just to get to some things.. Ugh, I'm so lazy..

And why the hell is it called Library? I hate the library..

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinsky View Post
    You'll eventually be forced on to it like the rest of us.

We are valve you will be assimilated...
    YOU WILL NEVER ASSIMILATE ME!
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    thx for all the opinions and advice ppl... aside from rage lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO
    Think of the reserved slot as a vip ticket to the club. You get to go past the line and kick someone out of the club so you can get in. However if on your way to the club some fat ass gets stuck in the door when the bouncer goes to check him then you got to wait for the fire department to cut his fat ass out of the door before you can get in.

It's sleek and sexy.

4. Default

I really like the new design!

It's pretty awesome.
    Yeah. I'm an admin. What of it?

5. Default

Lets see.... heres all the things I found wrong with it.

1. "Library" should be renamed "Games" and remove the games subtitle next to media, library doesn't sound right and it's a little confusing so it should looks like this

Games - ->
    Media - Tools - Downloads

Instead of this
    Library ->
    Games - Media - Tools - Downloads

That way its straight to the point and not redundant like it is now.

2. I don't like the new message sound, I'd like there to be a choice between the new one and the old one in the settings menu

3. The "View Friends" button should be changed to say "View Your Friends List" (I just found out it pops your friends list up a moment ago while just screwing around) and the text needs to be bigger along with your avatar

4. Instead of clicking on your avatar to take you to your homepage it should just have some text there undernieth "View Friends" that says "View Your Home Page" to tell you atleast what it does and the same applies to 3 and 4 in the ingame steam community as well.

5. I don't like seeing my account name on the upper right hand corner.
    I'd like to have the option of whether or not it's there.

X. Concerning the menu for the games themselves I'd like a choice between the old version and the new, maybe another option for the new one with the old smaller icons shown here with the same smaller text next to them
    http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7758/smallicons.jpg

or just give us the option to make it look like the tool section with the avatars of the old version next to them

Update On Old Number 6, I found out how to do this. click on the + button up above the scrol line in the "Games" menu and select Icons rather than images

6. Change the Plus (+) on the "Games" menu from + to Options so we know what it does (yet another case of screwing around and finding out what it actually does by accident) and rename "Icons" something along the lines of old steam game avatars so we know what it does

7. The "Downloads" sections font and size would look better and take up less space if it was half the size of its current font.

8. The "Friends" section of the community seems to be too crowded, seems like it should show half of your friends that it shows now and should say how many friends you have there somewhere like the old one.

9. Regarding the community again it seems like the subtitles
    Home, Profile, friends, Groups, Invites and Games should be subtitles in the vain of the Library section, mounted directly undernieth "Community" rather than part of the page themselves.

Like this:

Community - ->
    Home - Profile - Friends - Groups - Invites

Games can stay where it is and should be renamed "Your Game Stats" or something of that description and put "Change Avatar" and "Change Profile Name" next to it rather than in a menu that you have to look for.

10. Concerning the ingame steam community
    I'd like the option to choose what I see as soon as I open it up,
    via a tab at the bottom that says "Display Options" next to settings

So I can choose to shut the clock off, remove the gameplay stats, and remove the news tabs without having any remnants of them show up at all unless I want them to. So I can see more of whats going on in the background with my CSS gungame.

11. The store itself just looks unorganized and too stylish.

the original format just looked beter and felt like it was easier to navigate. I just feel that all the genres should be listed on the right side like they used to be with the search on the upper right pre new Steam UI.

12. Instead of calling it "View News" when you right click on a game call it "Update News" like it used to be so it's not missleading and possibly bring up the old update menu, I personally liked that better than being switched over to the news section.

13. Set the games section up like it used to be with favorites first, divider, installed games, divider and uninstalled games

14. provided us with some valve made skins to choose from for the new UI this new skin screwed up my desktop color scheme and hurts my eyes. the custom ones that try to duplicate the old one aren't that good.

So I hope Valve either gives us some new valve made skins for it (one of which mimics the old one to a tee) or a valve equivalent of the windows appearance settings for it.

15. Give us the ability to completely adjust the size of the steam window like we used to be able to do with the old version.

Shown here at its smallest allowed setting with the new UI
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1243371

so yeah it aint perfect by a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGG shot not to mention all the games its fucking up for everyone on the steam forums besides the basic layout and options trouble listed here.
    Last edited by Kavinsky; 04-27-2010 at 11:30 PM.

6. Default

I got assimalated
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    thx for all the opinions and advice ppl... aside from rage lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO
    Think of the reserved slot as a vip ticket to the club. You get to go past the line and kick someone out of the club so you can get in. However if on your way to the club some fat ass gets stuck in the door when the bouncer goes to check him then you got to wait for the fire department to cut his fat ass out of the door before you can get in.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I got assimalated
    XD

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

8. Default

Okay heres how to get the old steam message back:

Dl it from here
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post14635728

Once it's downloaded, go into it's properties and set it to read only and then put it in steam/friends and overwrite the new sound and restart.

How to change the title Library to games (havent tried it myself yet to see if they actually listen to everyone and rename it games like it should have been letter this week)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...8#post14646468

And to fix the games menu:
    click on the + button up above the scrol line in the "Games" menu and select Icons rather than images

then right click on your games and set catagory to set up what have should have been the standard layout

Hopefully they'll fix some of my layout issues by this weekend, but if that doesn't happen theres always skins.
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/guicats/426

and starsmine thats not funny, Valve just royally fucked over everyone with a forced layout change that atleast 60% of the community did not want to happen, me included.
    Last edited by Kavinsky; 04-27-2010 at 11:46 PM.

9. Default

Really most of the people bitching about just dont like change, I have seen this kind of thing happen time and time again, all it comes down to is lot of people dont like change, even if the new version is better.
    I know there are some exceptions (like neopets XD, I remeber that change from way back, just cheeked there still using it ) but that is usually the case, that 60% you told me? im willing to bet that 75% will have a change of heart in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

10. Default

If all those things I mentioned get adressed I will change my tune, but all indications are pointing to the fact that they dropped it on us without streamlining it and without telling us what most of these buttons do.

Hell I found most of the basic functions of the new ui by accident randomly clicking on everything trying to find shit, which is never a good thing.

To sum it up what they need to do to get my approval:

The biggest one
    the option to choose what I see as soon as I open it up the steam ingame community via a tab at the bottom that says "Display Options" next to settings

So I can choose to shut the clock off, remove the gameplay stats, and remove the news tabs without having any remnants of them show up at all unless I want them to.

Change Library to games and remove the games subtitle

Give us a choice between the two message sounds

give us a valve made classic skin for it

change view friends in the bottom right corner to view your friends list
    so you actually know what it does.

Change the Plus (+) on the "Games" menu from + to Options so we know what it does and rename "Icons" something along the lines of old steam game avatars so we know what it is.

Community should have the subtitles Like this:

Community - ->
    Home - Profile - Friends - Groups - Invites

Instead of part of the page itself

Games can stay where it is and should be renamed "Your Game Stats" or something of that description and put "Change Avatar" and "Change Profile Name" next to it rather than in a menu that you have to look for it in.

Give us the ability to completely adjust the size of the steam window like we used to be able to do with the old version