Thread: linux and HD help

1. Default linux and HD help

ok, so i've taken it into my head that it would be a good thing to install linux on my (empty) portable hard drive. i know i'd be able to set my bios to boot from the usb slot first, so that if it's plugged in when i turn my laptop on grub would appear and i'd choose windows or linux. the problem is that i have no fucking clue how to:

a) install it on the hd
    b) keep it from fucking my windows up
    c) pick which distro i want (i want something that looks as close to windows as possible, i don't like macs)
    d) obtain said distro
    e) defend my idea and explain why i want to do this.

also, any help in mentioning a possible benefit to me having linux would be greatly appreciated. like i said, i got this "great idea" but i don't really know why it would be a good thing (not saying it'd be bad, just i don't know why i want to do it)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

2. Default

Also you will need multiple partitions to be able to install 2 or more OSes on the same HDD regardless of the OS that is used.

3. Default

well, i'm not installing more than one to the portable hard drive, i'll partition that for a linux section and a data section.

and...honestly, i don't know what i'm going to do w/ it once i get it. i mean, it seems like a good idea, but i have no idea why i would like to have it. i love vista, it has given me 0 problems so far, and i don't forsee switching over to linux any time soon. so in all honesty, i just woke up w/ this idea and no reasoning to explain it. more of a "because i can" type of thing than a "this would be useful" type.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Also you will need multiple partitions to be able to install 2 or more OSes on the same HDD regardless of the OS that is used.
    I'm pretty sure there's a port of ubuntu that runs natively on ntfs now.
    Kiro : us fireyes got dumb by his girl that y he is suck