Thread: Super Anime/Game guide for newcomers

1. Default Super Anime/Game guide for newcomers

Hello guys, i felt that some people just getting into anime usually stay within the guidelines of series such as One Piece, Bleach, dragonball, FMA, and Naruto. There are a lot of absolutely remarkable anime out there thats falls out of the list of those five series. The series above are within the "Shonen" genre, and there are far more types of genres out there that rarely get noticed by people here.

THE LINGO:

SHONEN series are series intended for young boys as i said. It usually involves a protagonist (probably with spiky hair too...) Somehow encountering several people good/bad, and follows a linear fighting/type plot line to become the strongest. Some shonen series revolve around sports, however most are usually based off adventure/fantasy/fighting types, and expecting something else is a rare find
    SHOUJO Series are intended for young girls. They specialize drama, romance, and sex in a very pure way. People in shoujo manga are usually tall, overly pretty/polite guys, whom all have a romance goal towards an undecided girl who cant decide between them until near the end. Shoujo manga have great dramatic and emotional involving plot lines, and happen to have far more mature story-lines than shonen stories. Although they usually deal with unrealistic concepts of 'pop star falling in love with a library girl/etc', and some people might seriously dislike that
    SEINEN series are series intended for mature men/adults. They usually contain concepts that people can only fully appreciate if they are around the ages of 18-30. Usually there is strong character development, less fights, serious drama, and more provocative jokes/scenes. It would not be uncommon for a senien series to include sex as an element influencing the storyline.
    JOSEI series are series intended for mature Females/Adults. Similar to senien it has more implication of shoujo-manga like storylines, although it tends to be far more realistic and much more relatable. Obviously the higher age rating also increases the amount of darker topics and sexual controversy. Storys such as "Bitter Virgin" the manga are a good example of what i would call a Josei series.
    MOE is what some people would call the epitome and downfall of current anime. Moe in japanese means something along the lines of Burning passion/etc... The most common conception of the term refers to cute girls doing cute things in cute ways. Aka, you see a girl carry tea for someone and she spills it and starts to cry in a cute way... the most common response is "O_O....Moe~". Anyways, Moe-girls are much more common now as anime is trying to appeal to its old-fanbase over the new fanbases. There is a legendary series that was originated in the pool of moe, and it is known as K-On!. It is acceptable to say that anything that ever happens in K-On! can be considered moe, and it would make great reference material for a newcomer

MY RECOMMENDED ANIME FOR THE GENRE

Shonen series: Busou Renkin, Baccano!, Mirai Nikki, Tengenn Toppa Gurren Lagann, Great Teacher Onizuka, Kure-nai, Mahou Sensei Negima (Manga/ova's), Mx0, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Shakugan no Shana, To Love Ru, Heroic Age, Hajime no Ippo
    Senien Series: Berserk, Aishiteruze Baby, Gantz, Monster, Kara no Kyoukai, Phantom ~Phantom for the Requiem~, Paranoia Agent, Chaos;Head, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Serial Experiments Lain, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Futakoi Alternative, Golden Boy, Denno Coil
    Horror/Suspense: Higurashi no naku Koro Ni, Jigoku Shoujo, Boogipop Phantom, Aoi Bungaku, School Days, Mnemonosyne, Ergo Proxy, Elfen Lied, Kuchu Buranko, Rozen Maiden, Shigofumi, Shikabane Hime
    Drama / Romance : Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Ef a tale of memories, Koi Kaze, Air, Kanon, Lovely Complex, Sola, Onegai Twins, White Album, DNAČ, Bus Gamer, Darker Than Black, Kite, Myself; Yourself, Planetes, REC, True Tears, Nodame Cantabile, Suzuka, Voices of a Distant Star, 5 cm Per Second, Ai Yori Aoshi, Iriya no Sora Ufo no Natsu, Saikano
    Moe-Goodness: K-ON, Kampfer, Kemeko DX, Asu no Yoichi, Amaenaide yo!, Akikan, Baka to Test, Dear S, Karin, Ladies Vs Butlers, Zero no Tsukaima, Maria Holic, NANATSUHIRO DROPS~, Rosario to Vampire, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, Itsudatte My Santa
    Shoujo: The Wallflower, Bitter Virgin, Honey and Clover, DN Angel, Fruits Basket, Marmalade Boy, Kare Kano, 07 Ghost, Itazura na Kiss, Karin, Kimi ni Todoke, Maria-sama Ga Miteru, Strawberry panic, NANA, Shugo Chara!, Skip Beat!, Vampire Knight,
    Series/movies definitely worth Mentioning: Clannad, Cowboy bebop, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode, ScryEd, Rahxephon, Macross Frontier, Last Exile, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya / The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Koharu Biyori, Eden of the East, Candy Boy, Angel Sanctuary, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha/a's/StrikerS, Pale Cocoon, Seto no hanayome, Summer Wars, Eve no Jikan

Well now, if you like anime, you should also get into Visual Novels, the games most anime that tend to be hits come from. They are very good in storyline, and are comparable to books with pictures/special effects/cgs/voices. Some people can misinterpret them as Dating Sim Games, but things such as Clannad, and Shuffle came from such games. So please give them a shot before making judgements

For Games: i recommend Tsukihime, Fate Stay Night, Chaos;Head, Kana Little Sister, Cross Channel, Ever 17, Galaxy Angel, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Little Busters, Kira Kira, Planetarian, Naricissu, Saya no Uta, Sengoku Rance, Sekien no Inganock, Clannad

Here is a list of torrent sites to help beginners get started downloading series en mass

For anime: Bakabt.com , Tokyotosho.info , AnimeTake.com, NyaaTorrents, Baka-updates.com , Baka-wolf.com
    For games: Isohunt.com, http://thepiratebay.org/user/Hgames , http://sukebei.nyaatorrents.org, Torrent/find yourself

Now some people use Windows Media Player or Quick Time to "Play/Watch" their anime. They soon realise great codecs such as MKV/Ogg/Flac are unknown to them... To ensue an amazing playback so that a 20 year old computer can seamlessly play 1080p blu-ray quality anime, a good media player and codec pack is required... Here is what i recommend

For playing Anime: i recommend Core AVC 2.0, and the CCCP for windows Users. Dont use VLC, use what comes with the CCCP pack
    For mac users, just MPlayer OSX Extended, and Perian

For Playing Games: Use japanese Locale (Google it) and install a ISO Mounter such as Daemon Tools. To mount an ISO File (Aka Disk image file), just right click the installed Daemon Tools on the toolbar and hit Mount image... Simple stuff

updates for VN's : http://www.visual-novels.net/vn/ , Also use VNDB.org to find information regarding completed games/patches

Now with this, i hope this list is used to its complete maximum, it was fairly hard to make, so hopefully it works out well
    Last edited by AnHero; 02-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews