Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Input on my proposed build (PC)

1. Default Input on my proposed build (PC)

This is mostly directed @Zero, but anyone can chime in.

I've got my rough idea for the build here. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=28063626

The case I will be working with is a Corsair C70, and the PSU is a Corsair CS850M I believe (not at home or i would check). Aside from the case, PSU, and storage I will be replacing everything. The main reason I'm wanting some input is because I thought I might want to dabble in liquid cooling in it, and I know Zero is the man to talk to about that.

On another note HAI EVERYONE! Haven't been on here in a while (years?), hope everyone has been well, alot of new faces, and many familiar ones as well. I've been playing CSGO like crazy, and have a job and such now.

"lol.. im surprised no one has called hacks on me recently....i have gotten better" - Perry

2. Default

Not sure if you have used ATI in the past but I avoid them even if they were 100x as fast and free b/c it is simply not worth dealing the the drivers. I would rather have something that simply works rather than something which sometimes works.

As for WC this is not really true WC as what your talking about here is a closed loop. The performance of a closed loop like this should be pre-known from reviews. It is basically the same as having AC except that you have in theory slightly better cooling performance.

Note that the length of the tub is fixed so your committed to mounting the rad within the defined range.

A custom WC system on the other hand you have complete control over all aspects of the cooling system. The real question then is how much direct control you require over your cooling system. Usually it is not worth just WC a single component unless your going for very heavy OC. Although custom systems are also common where silence is desired.

3. Default

Hey ZERO, thanks for stopping in, I never really got to the point in my OP, but my plan was going to be to have either a CPU block on, or a complete motherboard block (NB/SB/CPU). I have been researching a bit over at EK, and they have pretty much any block you could want for this motherboard. As far as the GPU is concerned, I have never ran ATI in any of my machines, but everything I have read on the 295 has been positive. I have read about ATI driver updates being few and far between which scares me a bit, but I imagine having their flagship card they might update it more frequently.

TL;DR, I didn't specify in OP that the GPU wasn't what I was referring to watercooling, but instead the CPU and possibly if worth it, the entire Mobo.

"lol.. im surprised no one has called hacks on me recently....i have gotten better" - Perry

4. Default

All I've ever owned was ATI's (now AMD).

First card was a Radeon 4550, then a Radeon 6450? (I believe it was), and now I have the R9 270. I can say nothing but good things about radeons. Nvidia I am just not a fan of because it's either super quality and terrible performance or the other way around in my passerby experiences with the cards. I hit anywhere between 400-700fps on CS:S on completely high settings (they are totally maxed out).

40-60 for in World of Warcraft on Ultra - no lag.

5. Default

AMD for processor, EVGA(Nvidia) for GPU. AMD processors run great and last a long long time. We don't need unnecessary updates for our chipsets pumped out every month unlike certain other processors.
    Quote Originally Posted by CYBER View Post
    Also, fuck u swagbot, stop making fucking sense... I hate agreeing with you.

6. Default

It is not really about updates being rare it is more that drivers which are not buggy are rare.

If your planning to WC anything at all then you need to also WC the GPU as well. It it illogical to use a closed loop on your gpu only and then a real WC loop on the GPU. Especially given that today the GPU outputs far more heat than the CPU ever will.

You do not really need to WC your motherboard unless your trying to achieve such crazy OC levels on your CPU that such things would be required. This is something that is more of a hey I got the money and I want it to look cool than a point of function, with the exception of people who are silence first in the budgets.

Another thing to keep in mind if your going for WC is what coolant. Most people use water and most people also flush there system and change out the water each year to avoid problems. I do not like problems nor do I have the time to deal with flushing a system every year, especially a system my size. So I use non conductive coolant instead: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21...l=g30c337s2042

I use the same coolant for years without issue and never need to worry about shit growing in the loop ect.

7. Default

zero, AMD drivers have not been bad for YEARS.

That said, Dont get the 295x, Dual GPU chips on Both sides are more pain then necessary and the r9 390x come out on the 24th, as well as the r9 Fury and FuryX (the two cards you should look at)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

8. Default

Tentoes be a real man and make your own WC out of an old heater core and left over 50/50 coolant mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by CYBER View Post
    Also, fuck u swagbot, stop making fucking sense... I hate agreeing with you.

9. Default

leaked Fury benchmarks take with grain of salt

Fury is 550, I think the FuryX is 800

10. Default

FuryX is 649 dollars. yea skip the 295x, go with the FuryX