Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Really, alex? Really.

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alex_mamaroneck View Post
    Christmas you may be right. But think about it... if that word is allowed it would be use more in the server. Nigga will be said on mic and us admins will wonder whether he or she said nigga or the other n word. yes either one is offensive to me and i'm sure to others who play on the server. when i was in high school and college my friends and i use word nigga every two sentences why? because they know me and i know them and we didn't feel any offense using that word. Its totally different when you use it with people you don't know like players in Counter strke servers. Nigga is a moderate word from the original n-word. a bit harmless but still considered a racial slur to me in Ibis server unless the people upstairs say otherwise.
    What black people are offended by the use of the word nigga? He even said it the way it is said in normal context. He didn't call anyone the word. He just said it within the proper context.

Christmas, perhaps you should research on the word and what it means to others instead of saying: "Nigga isn't racist" with nothing to back it up. simple minded. start with
    this web: http://www.abolishthenword.com/history.htm
    and if you want something more simple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigga
    Your first link has to do with the actual N word. Nigga is used once in there explaining how blacks call themselves the word.

On the second, here is a quote from your own link.

In practice, its use and meaning are heavily dependent on context
    The context was fine in this case.

Ness your arguement is so far the best compare to other arguements against me (thats a fact). But you have to understand how others would feel if they heard you say that.

I shall say no more.. actually there is one other thing. Christmas i really like the hax you did today ("...abuse... i don't care...") take care buddy:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/egwezj...istmas0604.dem
    Character assassination ftl.

Argue the points, not the poster.

2. Default

like i said, do more research. did you find any articles to support your argument? or still pole dancing in the North Pole?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    What black people are offended by the use of the word nigga? He even said it the way it is said in normal context. He didn't call anyone the word. He just said it within the proper context.

Your first link has to do with the actual N word. Nigga is used once in there explaining how blacks call themselves the word.

On the second, here is a quote from your own link.

The context was fine in this case.

Character assassination ftl.

Argue the points, not the poster.
    He did call someone nigga. "Nigga I AM the fishtank" is clearly calling someone a nigga. Nigga is a racist term regardless of context as it's root is n*gger. This is in reference to server rules, not dialogue between buddies.

4. Default

like i said, do more research.
    Well since your "research" gave me nothing of real context other than the fact that using the word nigga is dependant on the situation, perhaps you should be taking your own advice.

Quote Originally Posted by [usn]scribble[nuke] View Post
    He did call someone nigga. "Nigga I AM the fishtank" is clearly calling someone a nigga. Nigga is a racist term regardless of context as it's root is n*gger. This is in reference to server rules, not dialogue between buddies.
    The context of how he said it is important.

And where in the server rules does it say that?

look the point has been made by nem shockingly lol.

using the term to associate or comment on a person is in fact racist.

oh nem your a big fat potato lol

6. Default

The context of how he said it is important.

And where in the server rules does it say that?
    Although I disagree about the context thing I realize I'm wrong about the server rules. I honestly thought there was a rule regarding this issue but I now realize I'm referring to another server's rules that I used to admin for. My bad Christmas, sorry for the troll.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by [usn]scribble[nuke] View Post
    Although I disagree about the context thing I realize I'm wrong about the server rules. I honestly thought there was a rule regarding this issue but I now realize I'm referring to another server's rules that I used to frequent. My bad Christmas, sorry for the troll.
    You aren't trolling (assuming you are being serious), you are discussing the issue.

I'm told that apparently that falls under disrespect, however who says that the person in question is being disrespected in this case?

Perhaps something like "No derogatory word, slang or otherwise, is permitted to be used in the IBIS servers. Context is irrelevant."

8. Default

maybe the rules should change from racism, to no use of the words "etc etc" so it's clear and easier to enforce. if someone says that word, then they're banned, doesn't matter how they use it. because now you can say whatever you want as long as its not offencive.

9. Default

You can't be tyrants to people, you have to have a little slack. It should be like the camping rule, it's not a 3 seconds in one spot and your banned, it's EXCESSIVE amounts of anything that's the problem. This has gone way too far.

10. Default

You aren't trolling (assuming you are being serious), you are discussing the issue.

I'm told that apparently that falls under disrespect, however who says that the person in question is being disrespected in this case?

Perhaps something like "No derogatory word, slang or otherwise, is permitted to be used in the IBIS servers. Context is irrelevant."
    My "You? I know" comment was the troll which I don't usually do. Unnecessary, and I know it.

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a rule explicitly regarding racism. The servers could definitely benefit from a rule like this. Although it doesn't offend me, I view it as just an ignorant term and anyone who uses it is only doing so to be racist or be cool. It's just something the servers/forums could easily go without.