Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SB 2.1 Update Thread

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    It may be worth taking the bullet and spending the money on a 6TB raid 5 array and then migrating to 4tb drives in 2 years. I am really stumped on this

Please post comments/suggestions below. I will also use this thread as sort of a work long to not only keep my plans in order but also to allow comments. Sometimes it helps to have some extra eyes on a big project like this.
    Hmm whats your total data storage up to now ?

But honestly Raid 5 would probably save you time and hassle in the long run. But with SATA6 and USB 3 still not fully supported by most manufactures yet holding off might be your best bet. I don't know if you want to go ahead and pay for 3 2TB SATA3 Gb/s drives when 6Gb/s drive are just hitting the market but then your motherboard has to support SATA6 and even though some say they will; they sacrifice GPU speed supporting it. It is hard choice

But i would probably hold off on it then.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mag36 View Post
    Hmm whats your total data storage up to now ?

But honestly Raid 5 would probably save you time and hassle in the long run. But with SATA6 and USB 3 still not fully supported by most manufactures yet holding off might be your best bet. I don't know if you want to go ahead and pay for 3 2TB SATA3 Gb/s drives when 6Gb/s drive are just hitting the market but then your motherboard has to support SATA6 and even though some say they will; they sacrifice GPU speed supporting it. It is hard choice

But i would probably hold off on it then.
    Sata6(otherwise known as sataIII confusing shit ) and usb 3 are backwards compatible so there is no reason to not upgrade if the price is right. however SataIII is only usefull with SSD, 7200 rpm, hell even 10000 RPM wont make use of it.

Im confused how does sata interfere with GPU speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

3. Default

there would be no benefit in using the new sata as a high storage HDD can not exceed the banwith of the current version. Also full 3.0 speeds will not ever exceed current sata speeds and the max speed of the buss will not be supported until the end of next year.

Lastly m/b raid controllers are always very slow compared to a dedicated board. When the HDD prices fall I am going to buy a 8port raid card and run RAID 6 on 8 drives. This way I can get really good performance and stability along with high storage. However this plan is based on 2tb costs dropping in a few months or so.

Also they have nothing to due with gpu speeds...

If you use onboard and you have a very large array you do cut into your cpu and ram a lot but on a system like mine there are extra resources. However even if you do have the extra resources a dedicated express card is always faster.

4. Default

shit the little extra drive hack I wanted to do does not work the way I thought it would... raid 5 it is.

5. Default

Now the quest to find a good raid card!
    Looking for (in this order):
    Reliability
    RAID 6
    >= 8 SATAII drives
    <$800

I am trying to find reviews but unfortunately there is not a lot of them for such devices...

This is the card that I am going with so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816131004
    Last edited by ZERO; 07-11-2010 at 04:42 PM.

6. Default

After looking up some reviews I am going to stick with the raid card above. Now instead of throwing all the drives into some funky drive bay I will instead use the heat pipe silent and vibration dampened heat sinks that make each drive use 1 bay as I have for years. Luckily I have 24 drive bays so it is not like I could run out of space rofl! For each drive I will run one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18...?tl=g6c455s125

This read led will be attached to each drive so if one fails it will indicate which one to replace! Otherwise I would need to buy expensive and ugly hot swappable bays that ruin the look of my computer, waste a shit ton of money, and add noise.

7. Default

Just about got everything together. Looks like it will come out just under $2000. This is turning into some project! The good news is that when completed I will be back up and running at full speed and I can finally call this computer completed as this update also includes a lot of little things that were intended in the original build but cut for time.

8. Default

saw that the evga 480 cards are on sale + rebate on new egg so I am buying one now. I can water cool it after I know what block to buy. I will order the rest of the stuff when I get the block. The cool news is that I can actually get good fps in my games again while I wait to see what block to get.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    saw that the evga 480 cards are on sale + rebate on new egg so I am buying one now. I can water cool it after I know what block to buy. I will order the rest of the stuff when I get the block. The cool news is that I can actually get good fps in my games again while I wait to see what block to get.
    Im more interested in the 1gig 460, 5850 peformence for ~ $220. sli them together and its on par or powerful then a 5970. http://forums.gametrailers.com/threa...1094884?page=1

I am giving serious thoughts on buying this

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

10. Default

Personally I would have liked to get my hands on a 485 or a 490 but I do not have the time to wait with a fried card.