Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SB 2.1 Update Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Lightbulb SB 2.1 Update Thread

So now that I am back in town it is time to get ready for my computer upgrade so that I can continue to maintain the server and pwn you noobs

So far it includes a few required upgrades/replacements such as:

• replace fried 280 with 480
    • replace 2 dead 120mm fans
    • add additional 120mm fan
    • add fan exhaust sound dampeners
    • construct custom 24 pin tower link connector
      • enables tower merger to be sped up making moving the computer faster and easier!
    • fan grills and other such things that were intended in version1 but never implemented
    • more HDD space
      • the means to address this issue are still being looked at
    • possibly a new mouse so I can pwn you all easier

I am looking at a $1000-$2000 upgrade this is both great for performance and terrible for my wallet

My largest problem is HDD space currently I have maxed a 1tb drive, a 2tb drive, a 300gb raid 0 and almost a 60gb os drive...

I wanted to just buy a 3tb drive to hold me out until the 4tb internals come out next summer but I can not find one anywhere. Currently I will max out all of my HDDs by the end of the week so I got to do something fast even if it is just to order another 2tb

The biggest problem is that for some data it can not be spread across multiple drives for filing reasons and the folder is going to max a 2tb drive soon worst of all I am playing Russian Roulette with this much data and not having any raid backups. It may be worth taking the bullet and spending the money on a 6TB raid 5 array and then migrating to 4tb drives in 2 years. I am really stumped on this

Please post comments/suggestions below. I will also use this thread as sort of a work long to not only keep my plans in order but also to allow comments. Sometimes it helps to have some extra eyes on a big project like this.

2. Default

Idea, I could actually just buy another 2tb and then redirect the data to the folder of the original drive so that digitally it looks like it is all together without the risk of raid 0 or without reformatting anything!

3. Default

That sounds like a pretty bad situation ZERO, I'm no techie when it comes to computers and what not but good luck on the rest of this predicament.

4. Default

not bad, for a mouse id suggest Razer or a high end Logitech.

Mouse suggestion:

Honestly though...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/rev...g_mouse_ever_0
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to report admin abuse
    How to find hackers

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Schnacky View Post
    not bad, for a mouse id suggest Razer or a high end Logitech.
    I have a g5 now but never liked the way it felt in my hand, also the scroll wheal does not work correctly sometimes.

As for razer I actually do like that shape but I need side scroll b/c I work with spreadsheets and other stuff that requires the extra abilities too much.

7. Default

I have a razer naga, and it is the best feeling mouse i have ever used, even though it is made more for MMO's, the 12 side buttons come in handy because you can intertwine them with the num keys.

If you were a beautiful sound in the echos all around, I'd be your harmony.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    It may be worth taking the bullet and spending the money on a 6TB raid 5 array and then migrating to 4tb drives in 2 years. I am really stumped on this

Please post comments/suggestions below. I will also use this thread as sort of a work long to not only keep my plans in order but also to allow comments. Sometimes it helps to have some extra eyes on a big project like this.
    Hmm whats your total data storage up to now ?

But honestly Raid 5 would probably save you time and hassle in the long run. But with SATA6 and USB 3 still not fully supported by most manufactures yet holding off might be your best bet. I don't know if you want to go ahead and pay for 3 2TB SATA3 Gb/s drives when 6Gb/s drive are just hitting the market but then your motherboard has to support SATA6 and even though some say they will; they sacrifice GPU speed supporting it. It is hard choice

But i would probably hold off on it then.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mag36 View Post
    Hmm whats your total data storage up to now ?

But honestly Raid 5 would probably save you time and hassle in the long run. But with SATA6 and USB 3 still not fully supported by most manufactures yet holding off might be your best bet. I don't know if you want to go ahead and pay for 3 2TB SATA3 Gb/s drives when 6Gb/s drive are just hitting the market but then your motherboard has to support SATA6 and even though some say they will; they sacrifice GPU speed supporting it. It is hard choice

But i would probably hold off on it then.
    Sata6(otherwise known as sataIII confusing shit ) and usb 3 are backwards compatible so there is no reason to not upgrade if the price is right. however SataIII is only usefull with SSD, 7200 rpm, hell even 10000 RPM wont make use of it.

Im confused how does sata interfere with GPU speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

10. Default

there would be no benefit in using the new sata as a high storage HDD can not exceed the banwith of the current version. Also full 3.0 speeds will not ever exceed current sata speeds and the max speed of the buss will not be supported until the end of next year.

Lastly m/b raid controllers are always very slow compared to a dedicated board. When the HDD prices fall I am going to buy a 8port raid card and run RAID 6 on 8 drives. This way I can get really good performance and stability along with high storage. However this plan is based on 2tb costs dropping in a few months or so.

Also they have nothing to due with gpu speeds...

If you use onboard and you have a very large array you do cut into your cpu and ram a lot but on a system like mine there are extra resources. However even if you do have the extra resources a dedicated express card is always faster.