Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Installing linux, need advice

1. Default

back-up of my external's complete, installing now
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

2. Default

feisty fawn + beryl

3. Default

ok, so it installed. i can boot to ubuntu through GRUB if i start computer w/ the portable HD connected, but GRUB won't let me boot into windows.

now, i have another really big problem.

i can't remember/find the wep key for my family's fios wireless network. is there some way for me to look it up on my windows login? since that one automatically applies the password every time i try connecting to the network
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    ok, so it installed. i can boot to ubuntu through GRUB if i start computer w/ the portable HD connected, but GRUB won't let me boot into windows.

now, i have another really big problem.

i can't remember/find the wep key for my family's fios wireless network. is there some way for me to look it up on my windows login? since that one automatically applies the password every time i try connecting to the network
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

I have used this software before and it will do the trick, good luck.

Glad to hear you got it working. I didn't think it should cause you any trouble.

5. Default

only 2 issues so far

1) GRUB can't boot windows, but i can just restart w/out external plugged in
    2) Windows no longer recognises the portable as being formatted at all

6. Default

Did you get the wireless key?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by [usn]scribble[nuke] View Post
    Did you get the wireless key?
    not yet. at work atm

one of the it guys at work suggested i either look in this really obscure .dll on my system32 folder (wzcdlg.dll) for the automatically entered encryption key (because when i go to connect in windows, it doesn't ask for the key. it just supplies it.)
    and also if that don't work to look into resetting password for the router

UPDATE!! first post on linux!!

edit: ok, to fix an issue w/ windows and the storage space on the portable, i formatted it two days ago (5 1/2 fucking hours) and reinstalled today. used liveCD version of Gparted to make the partitions i needed in correct order (storage NTFS first) and reinstalled to the pre-made partitions. only problem: i installed the bootloader to the "do not use partition"...so GRUB doesn't even load properly.