Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing linux, need advice

1. Default Installing linux, need advice

Ok, so i've decided for real to actually try out linux and start learning about it.

I bought a book to teach me about it, but my particular case isn't in the installation section. See, i'm planning on putting Linux (either ubuntu or fedora, not sure which. hell if i understand GRUB right, it can be both) onto my portable flash drive (formatted as NTFS). What i need to know, is
    A) can i install them to seperate partitions on the drive, even if it's NTFS,
    B) can i then place data accessable to both linux and windows (my main laptop hard drive will remain vista), and
    C) if i enable GRUB, will the computer default to the windows bootloader whenever the USB drive isn't connected?

i plan to set my BIOS boot order to (primary) USB/connected external drive, and (secondary) c: (tertiary) CD drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    Ok, so i've decided for real to actually try out linux and start learning about it.

I bought a book to teach me about it, but my particular case isn't in the installation section. See, i'm planning on putting Linux (either ubuntu or fedora, not sure which. hell if i understand GRUB right, it can be both) onto my portable flash drive (formatted as NTFS). What i need to know, is
    B) can i then place data accessable to both linux and windows (my main laptop hard drive will remain vista), and
    C) if i enable GRUB, will the computer default to the windows bootloader whenever the USB drive isn't connected?

i plan to set my BIOS boot order to (primary) USB/connected external drive, and (secondary) c: (tertiary) CD drive.
    i am seriously thinking about ubuntu also, so this sill also help me

3. Default

a) yes
    b) i'm not sure what you're asking here
    c) it should, just make sure you include the usb device as first in boot order. when it doesn't detect anything there, it will move on to the windows bootloader

Just stick with ubuntu. You'll get fairly submerged into linux and eventually get bored. Wine will start to fail, manually loading drivers sucks, but it's pretty interesting to learn. I can boot ubuntu up any time on this machine, I just haven't done so in ages. I guess I only explored it for purposes of exploiting the shell.

4. Default

Ah, I remember the last time i used linux, it was read hat. It was great for programing and made testing and compiling really easy. I however did not find it useful for anything other than that.

5. Default

I know a bit inside ubuntu, (which is in my opinion the one to go for) but with the whole boot stuff.. no idea.
    I have mine dual booted with win7. for me it uses the grub bootloader to make a bootmenu, so if you would have linux unplugged, i don't think it will boot.
    not a clue though. Also, If you have ubuntu installed, you SHOULD be able to access any other OS you have installed. Wether it should be on the same drive i dont know.
    I have both OSes on the same drive with diff partition.
    Xenn<3: if your getting old then I am old
    Rob | Ibis.a: Older women are yum though.
    Rob | Ibis.a: so its cool.
    Xenn<3: oh dear jesus lol
    (ADMIN) aNex <ibis>: You are the super senior admin first class with three ranks above other admins.
    o.O dude, you're fucking dead. i don't think posting photoshopped pics of zero's mother sleeping with the pope would even come CLOSE to taking on rob.

6. Default

something else to llook at is some virtual ware.

just go to vmplayer, fill out the questionairre, make stuff up except the email, and they will email you the link download the software.

the good thing about the vmware, is that you can still access the infor on your computer, while having both os's up, makes for faster switching if you're just playing around with it.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by yours' truely View Post
    something else to llook at is some virtual ware.

just go to vmplayer, fill out the questionairre, make stuff up except the email, and they will email you the link download the software.

the good thing about the vmware, is that you can still access the infor on your computer, while having both os's up, makes for faster switching if you're just playing around with it.
    but...i don't want to run linux in windows. and besides, i can do that easily by inserting the ubuntu cd while i'm logged into windows, and install Wubi (Windows-based Ubuntu Installer) that adds linux as an application on windows desktop.

but that's not what i want
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.

8. Default

Yes you can install on separate partitions. Its the same principal how people are able to use windows on a mac. Usually (with ubuntu) it will automatically set up a new partition just for itself with the free space on the HDD. However you can use partition magic to do this. (Be careful with partitioning, you can easily lose everything if you don't know what you are doing).

I do not know if while on your windows partition if you can access files on the linux partition, however it is easy for the linux partition to access window files. It takes a little while to figure out how to actually do it, but I have done it before.

It depends. It will automatically load windows if it can't find the GRUB on the usb hdd. However, I am confused on why you would want to load the GRUB onto an external. If you install the linux on the external, you would still want the GRUB to be on the internal hdd. It is better to load it onto the internal as to avoid extra work and pulling your hair out. Although what do I know, I have never setup an operating system on an external before. That is alien to me.

I was satisfied with ubuntu feisty fawn w/ beryl eye candy. That was the only thing I loved linux for, the eye candy. ... so pretty... anyways Ubuntu was the only linux I have ever used, and I have to say that I enjoyed using it.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by anex View Post

It depends. It will automatically load windows if it can't find the GRUB on the usb hdd. However, I am confused on why you would want to load the GRUB onto an external. If you install the linux on the external, you would still want the GRUB to be on the internal hdd. It is better to load it onto the internal as to avoid extra work and pulling your hair out. Although what do I know, I have never setup an operating system on an external before. That is alien to me.

I was satisfied with ubuntu feisty fawn w/ beryl eye candy. That was the only thing I loved linux for, the eye candy. ... so pretty... anyways Ubuntu was the only linux I have ever used, and I have to say that I enjoyed using it.
    well, i want to keep GRUB off of the internal hard drive because when i don't have the external plugged in, i want to go straight to windows. duh.
    I just need to set the usb port as primary in the boot order

and i have 9.04 i think (maybe 9.40). whatever. it's jackalope.

10. Default

well, i want to keep GRUB off of the internal hard drive because when i don't have the external plugged in, i want to go straight to windows. duh.
    I just need to set the usb port as primary in the boot order
    AH, sorry. I'm tired.