Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows OS thread

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    Fuuuuck, that sounds like a hassle.
    Reformatting isnt difficult, you just lose everything on the HDD. Just back up everything thats important

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StarsMine View Post
    Reformatting isnt difficult, you just lose everything on the HDD. Just back up everything thats important
    I do have an external HD, I could back almost everything I have up onto that, then reformat. That would work right ?

3. Default

I do have an external HD, I could back almost everything I have up onto that, then reformat. That would work right ?
    yeah, that might work. there are softwares out there that will actually make a special image file of your HD, and copy it. Then, when you finish formatting your normal HD, you can then use this software to re-burn the image back.

i think it's called Acronis tru-image
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    yeah, that might work. there are softwares out there that will actually make a special image file of your HD, and copy it. Then, when you finish formatting your normal HD, you can then use this software to re-burn the image back.

Because I have a lot of shit I don't feel like reinstalling.

5. Default

wouldnt that reburn 32bit windows? Its making an image of the whole drive, I have done that before when I was building my dads i7 and the HDD in his old computer could not be read by windows for some reason (I blame Windows ME beacuse thats what had formated the drives) and thats what It did, copied the whole drive OS and all. My situation was different because new mobo ment I didnt have to worry about that, he is using the same mobo though.

6. Default

wouldnt that reburn 32bit windows? Its making an image of the whole drive, I have done that before when I was building my dads i7 and the HDD in his old computer could not be read by windows for some reason (I blame Windows ME beacuse thats what had formated the drives) and thats what It did, copied the whole drive OS and all. My situation was different because new mobo ment I didnt have to worry about that, he is using the same mobo though.
    ok, well i'm assuming you were smart and have at least 2 partitions on your hard drive?
    c:, and at least a data partition. useing everything on c: means you get fucked over in a situation like this, because all your programs and data will be hidden among the system settings. ideally, at least 3 partitions make things easier.

c: for system files, don't use this any more than you must
    d: for installed programs (games, etc...)
    e: for data

then you can just image the d: and e: drives, and you're good!
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.

7. Default

ok, well i'm assuming you were smart and have at least 2 partitions on your hard drive?
    c:, and at least a data partition. useing everything on c: means you get fucked over in a situation like this, because all your programs and data will be hidden among the system settings. ideally, at least 3 partitions make things easier.

c: for system files, don't use this any more than you must
    d: for installed programs (games, etc...)
    e: for data

then you can just image the d: and e: drives, and you're good!
    They arnt the main HDD, its just there to keep the data, they were 2 partitions each, one for windows ME and one for XP. The HDD still have the OS installed on them, they are just unusable beacause mobo isnt the same.

8. Default

They arnt the main HDD, its just there to keep the data, they were 2 partitions each, one for windows ME and one for XP. The HDD still have the OS installed on them, they are just unusable beacause mobo isnt the same.
    oh, i was actually telling this to res. but yeah, you should be able to copy the contents of the two data/program partitions to an external and re-copy them to the newly 64-bit'ed one

9. Default

oh, i was actually telling this to res. but yeah, you should be able to copy the contents of the two data/program partitions to an external and re-copy them to the newly 64-bit'ed one
    I must tell you copying 600GB via usb 2.0 and then back again took me 3 days XD